1.    #1  
    Hey Folks,
    I'm having a meltdown about parting with my faithful and trusty Treo 650 which I have carefully over time kept in shape with spare parts and TLC. Yeah I'm a grown man all tough enough but my 650 has been with me through thick and thin and has NEVER let me down. I use it for everything, I keep specs on all the equipment that I service, I have 100's of memos and contacts for friends, family, vendors, and my life is contained inside of that scratched and worn case. So I go to Palm and look at the Pre and then I see the PRO and omg I think I have found what I need. I'm a faithful at&t customer and I can buy a new unlocked PRO from Palm and I am wondering if I can simply put my sim card in there and keep on going? This is really a disturbing situation for me because I rely on my 650 so very much. Are there any Treo users out there who have jumped over to the PRO and can tell me about the experience? I'm loosing my mind over this because I know my old 650 can't go on forever. Everyone tells me to go to an iPhone and that scares me to death. Help!
  2. CDG
    Global Posts
    2,003 Global Posts
    Hello there, I came to the Pro from the 750 & I am extremely happy. To me Pro is 750+ in all respects except maybe the kb.

In your case however, you are switching from Palm OS to WM & may have a different experience.

As a device the TP is excellent, I have had it for almost 1 year & plan to keep it for a very long time.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks Charlyee for your response. Do you know if the sim card from the 650 will fit the Pro?
  4. CDG
    Global Posts
    2,003 Global Posts
    Yes, it will.
    You'll be happy with the Pro. I have two of them.
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

Gpfowler, I was in the same boat as you! I jumped straight from the 650 to the Pro, didn't bother with any of the Treo releases inbetween!

The 650 was a tank... trusty, to say the least. I've only had my Pro for about a month but I get the impression that this phone will be even better. Just like anything else, it'll take you a few weeks to customize everything and get it all organized how you like it. With WM it brings multitasking to the table... not to mention wifi. If you used your 650 as much as it sounds like you did, you'll probably see more use out of this one. And if you do get it, I recommend the Seidio 3500mAh battery, the thing lasts forever between charges!
  7.    #7  
    Thanks to all who have contributed to an enhanced "calm" as I sit here recovering for an automobile accident. A lot of folks I know have the iphone and they show me one whizbang feature after another. Then I ask "Which one of those 75,000 apps will help me keep track of the repair and maint of all my equipment?" andI get a blank stare... I got no time to play, I have work to do! Thanks all, I believe I'm gonna pull the trigger on my cc this morning and get a Pro headed my way!
    Hi gpfowler

Have you purchased the pro yet? I would just like to say that you may find the switch a little difficult since its a totally different Operating system. I had a 650 and switched to the pro and absolutely loved it however I have time to read the manual :P I think if your a busy person who is not tech savvy then I would stick with PalmOs.

Windows Mobiles which is what the pro uses is a great OS but requires maintenance. Frequent resets, cleanups and optimization is a must to keep it at 35-36% usage... Activesync which is the syncing software may also get incredibly frustrating but once mastered its sweet. However you will still be able to use most of your Treo 650 applications on the treo pro. Look for a third party appliation called StyleTap which can run most palmOs applications on a Pro or windows mobile.

well hope you make the right choice. one thing is for sure. The pro is a sweet *** phone with tons of features and apps. I personally believe better than an Iphone which is more for teens.
    I too switched from the 650 to the Pro. I love the Pro. All the comments above are spot on and I won't repeat them.

Give your self a week or so to get used to WinMo and you'll be good. You will enjoy the better & faster Internet uses.
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    I jumped from a 700P to a Treo Pro and the transition wasn't too bad. HotSync definitely was better than ActiveSync for contacts, notes, and calendar if you're only syncing with your computer and not Exchange. I used my Treo Pro for 5 months but switched to an iPhone (gave me more work/life balance and I jailbroke it too for some added functions) but I intend to keep my Treo Pro as a backup and if I ever need to go over seas.

WinMo will be good, I had a 700WX and returned it after a week because WinMo5 sucked, WinMo 6.1 is excellent and Palm really did a good job with the OS interface. Good luck!
  11.    #11  
    I'm excited - now all I need to do is pull the trigger on a purchase and get on with learning the ins and outs of the new os. Thanks one and all!
  12. CDG
    Global Posts
    2,003 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gpfowler View Post
    I'm excited - now all I need to do is pull the trigger on a purchase and get on with learning the ins and outs of the new os. Thanks one and all!
    You will love it. Looking forward to your take on it.