Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Poor Palm.
    I really wish they would of made sure the Sprint Treo Pro was a success.
    So many long time Treo fans were let down.

And yet the Gsm Treo Pro has been the best Treo I've ever owned - the best pda/phone I've ever owned.

I think Palm was already putting all their eggs into the WebOS basket and figured they'd throw a cdma radio in the Pro and let it go as it may.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    Poor Palm.
    I really wish they would of made sure the Sprint Treo Pro was a success.
    So many long time Treo fans were let down.

And yet the Gsm Treo Pro has been the best Treo I've ever owned - the best pda/phone I've ever owned.

I think Palm was already putting all their eggs into the WebOS basket and figured they'd throw a cdma radio in the Pro and let it go as it may.
    I did not know that.

If I read your post correctly, the CDMA/Sprint Treo Pro was an afterthought? Besides the GSM/CDMA radio, what are the differences in hardware between the two Pros?
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    That's the key here.

Been using this the last few days and will have my review up probably for Monday.

In short, the phone is terrible. The keyboard is actually one of the best, but the screen, ports, power button, labels, functionality and yes, even signal reception are just...bad. This should not have been a 320x240 device--it is a deal breaker (imo) because the fonts all look blurry now.

It's a very frustrating device to use and one of the worst I have experienced. I want to like it badly, the design is nice and professional. But they just made too many amateur mistakes--feels very 2007-ish.
    When I played with the Intrepid, that's what I thought as well. The Treo Pro has a more refined hardware/software/UI integration, even with WM 6.1.

Honestly, the way things are now, I don't see why Palm couldn't make the Treo Pro II in a Pixi form factor (albeit a tad bit thicker), with Wi-Fi and SD card slot. If anything, the design would make an interesting future look at a potential Pixi II down the road.

I'm really curious to see if Palm, before the management switch, had schematics/intentions to design a second-generation Treo Pro.
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    I just saw this phone at the Sprint store today.

The screen is terrible. Not as sharp as the Treo Pro.

It is bulky.

I still give the edge to the Treo Pro.

This is also my first time seeing WM6.5.

It looks alright. Why are those icon line up and down and not in straight line? Is that the Today screen?
    Dell x51v → Motorola Q (Verizon) → Mogul → 800w → Treo Pro → Touch Pro 2 (SERO) → HTC EVO 3D → HTC EVO 4G LTE → HTC One S → Nexus 4
    Quote Originally Posted by KevMeister View Post
    Honestly, the way things are now, I don't see why Palm couldn't make the Treo Pro II in a Pixi form factor (albeit a tad bit thicker), with Wi-Fi and SD card slot. If anything, the design would make an interesting future look at a potential Pixi II down the road.
    Not enough resources at palm... plus, Palm's management is looking for a payday...
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Quote Originally Posted by KevMeister View Post
    I did not know that.

If I read your post correctly, the CDMA/Sprint Treo Pro was an afterthought?
    Not an 'afterthought', but rather not enough testing to make sure all would jive well with the Cdma Radio. With all the reports of missed calls and so-so reception it seems pretty evident they released the Sprint Treo Pro without enough testing, or maybe they didn't care, or didn't have the money to do anything about it anyway.
    Like I said; I think Palm was already putting all their eggs into the WebOS basket and figured they'd throw a cdma radio in the Pro and let it go as it may.

Quote Originally Posted by KevMeister
    Besides the GSM/CDMA radio, what are the differences in hardware between the two Pros?
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/tr...treo-pros.html
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    Not an 'afterthought', but rather not enough testing to make sure all would jive well with the Cdma Radio. With all the reports of missed calls and so-so reception it seems pretty evident they released the Sprint Treo Pro without enough testing, or maybe they didn't care, or didn't have the money to do anything about it anyway.
    Like I said; I think Palm was already putting all their eggs into the WebOS basket and figured they'd throw a cdma radio in the Pro and let it go as it may.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/tr...treo-pros.html
    Thanks. I assume if I get a new Treo Pro direct from Sprint this late in the game, I should not have a defective Treo?
    I hate to steer you away from the Sprint Treo Pro.
    This is Treo|Central.
    But we're also a good group of people who try to be objective.

I'd do some more research first.
    Somebody who uses a lot of devices and might help you in your decision is mal - http://discussion.treocentral.com/tr...ml#post1980484

I myself prefer static keyboards.

Edit; I'm not sure if the 'Missed calls' issue persists with recent releases or not.

Edit #2; By all means, if you decide to give it a try, make sure you're happy before the 30 day return policy is up.
    Just call me Berd.
    I'll be getting the Pro eventually, my reasons thusly:

+ The Pro, despite is it quirks, is reasonably stable.
    + Not installing WM 6.5 (too clunky) for the Pro, waiting for WM7. SPB Shell will work great in the meantime.
    + It will be much easier to sync my 800w stuff apps & data to the Pro.
    + The Pixi (Web OS) is first generation, plus no Micro SD card slot and No Wi-Fi.
    + The Pre (Web OS) is also first generation, too clunky.
    + All the other WM devices I tested don't have that wow and ease of use/UI factor like the Pro, even if the camera is average. I'm using it more for data and organization.

Let someone else be the guinea pig with these other devices...
    Quote Originally Posted by chong67 View Post
    I just saw this phone at the Sprint store today.

The screen is terrible. Not as sharp as the Treo Pro.

It is bulky.

I still give the edge to the Treo Pro.

This is also my first time seeing WM6.5.

It looks alright. Why are those icon line up and down and not in straight line? Is that the Today screen?
    No, that's the Start screen. What was formerly a menu displayed inline on the Today screen now get its own screen.

Why the staggered icon layout. I guess that's MS trying to be cool. One of MS' UI designers unconvincingly argued that the new layout is more finger-friendly, since the hexagonal grid maps to the arc of the user's thumb. That may be true for the icons on the bottom corners, but it penalizes d-pad users by increasing the number of directions to travel. Worse still, front-qwerty users can't jump alphabetically to any section of the launcher with the corresponding key, making it necessary to scroll more than ever.

Front-qwerty devices were clearly an afterthought in Microsoft's design for the 6.5 UI.
    That's the key here.

Been using this the last few days and will have my review up probably for Monday.

In short, the phone is terrible. The keyboard is actually one of the best, but the screen, ports, power button, labels, functionality and yes, even signal reception are just...bad. This should not have been a 320x240 device--it is a deal breaker (imo) because the fonts all look blurry now.

It's a very frustrating device to use and one of the worst I have experienced. I want to like it badly, the design is nice and professional. But they just made too many amateur mistakes--feels very 2007-ish.
    Ouch....

I'll have to try it myself. If it's really a dud, I hope your predictions about a follow-up qwerty phone early next year are correct.
    Do you think it will be possible in the future to run Windows 6.5 on the Treo Pro?

I really liked my treo pro.. I traded it for the Palm Pre, and regretted every minute of it. Instead of going back to the Pro, i decided to try out the Intrepid.
    Haven't actually used it yet, but looks nice. I like the size of the Pro better.

Like the battery life claims of the Intrepid however...
    Last edited by tama2112; 10/19/2009 at 01:29 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by tama2112 View Post
    Do you think it will be possible in the future to run Windows 6.5 on the Treo Pro?

I really liked my treo pro.. I traded it for the Palm Pre, and regretted every minute of it. Instead of going back to the Pro, i decided to try out the Intrepid.
    Haven't actually used it yet, but looks nice. I like the size of the Pro better.

Like the battery life claims of the Intrepid however...
    It already is possible to run WM 6.5 on the treo pro.
    For those interested, here is my full take on the Samsung Intrepid:

http://www.wmexperts.com/sprint-samsung-intrepid-review

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    For those interested, here is my full take on the Samsung Intrepid:

http://www.wmexperts.com/sprint-samsung-intrepid-review
    Good review...

Much too bad about the reception; maybe it is a true treo pro replacement.

All jokes aside, it is amazing that reception would be an issue on a new phone... tp2 shows that reception can be a non-issue on a Winmob phone.

I was sorry my q9c died on me.

It will be interesting to see if sprint picks up another winmob device to properly fill the shoes of the treo pro... large keyboard keys, great battery life, great reception, nice screen (at least 320 x 320), etc. Of course size would matter... not too large but not so small to make the keyboard suffer.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12