1.    #1  
    Hello,

I have a really weird problem with my Sprint Treo Pro, SW v 1.0.3 flashed to 1.0.4. I have bought three different car charger models that are advertised to work with my phone. The first one (Sprint OEM) was replaced by the merchant after it died after a few uses, but the replacement died after one use. Thinking it was an incompatible model, I bought a generic cheapie off eBay. It too worked at first but within a couple of days it too stopped charging. I just bought a third charger model, and after two days of use, it's dead also. Not only will these dead chargers not charge my TP, they refuse to charge other micro usb devises that previously charged fine.

Has anyone else encountered this before? What could be the problem?

Thanks!
    I would suggest trying a different car outlet. Perhaps it is putting out more than 12 volts and frying the chargers. Do you have a volt meter--select DC volts and see what it reads. It should be no higher than about 13 volts at the socket. It seems less likely to be the Pro, but that could be the case too.

You might tell Sprint to swap you a Pro and try again.
    PDA Lineage: Palm Pilot, Palm V, Palm Tungsten, Treo 650 (Cingular), Treo 750 (AT&T), Treo Pro GSM (unlocked), Pre Plus (AT&T), Pre 2 GSM (unlocked), Pre 3 16GB (AT&T Branded) and Touchpad 32 GB
  3.    #3  
    An excellent suggestion re: the car outlet, and one I considered early on. The problem is that three of the four chargers have bit the dust in three different cars. The only thing these chargers have in common is that they were used to charge my STP. I will try to borrow a voltmeter to be sure, but I'm not encouraged.

I don't have TEP any more on my phone. It wasn't worth the $7 per month when I could buy a new one for less than $200, so I doubt that Sprint will just swap it for me. I'll probably just need to live with it, but it is a bummer to not be able to charge on the road.
    It is possible you have an intermittent short at the pro's micro usb. this would not necessarily hurt the pro but could fry the chargers. while that would mean you might also damage you wall charger and or 5 volt sub rail on your pc or laptop, the movement from driving and using the handset might be providing enough stress to activate the short while the wall socket does not.

I would also consider that very cheaply made chargers and counterfeit chargers are common, but in my experience the problem with those is low amperage,, I have never had one fail.
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    I am having exactly the same problem. Very strange. I got the Sprint OEM charger and it worked for about two hours. I emailed the vendor and he replaced it with another one. It has been working but within two hours the yellow light went out. It is still charging but I have my fngers crossed.

These TP as you know are very finicky when it comes to charging. Half the time the USB charger harldy charges unless it is 3/4 charged.

Weird
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    I'm charging mine with a mini usb charger that used to charged my Q and an adapter and works fine (both the charger and the adapter are motorola originals), try this as a plan B :-)
    The two greatest causes of system failures are sysadmins and users. If you can keep both of these groups away from your machines, the reliability increases dramatically.
    Quote Originally Posted by Giannacl View Post
    I'm charging mine with a mini usb charger that used to charged my Q and an adapter and works fine (both the charger and the adapter are motorola originals), try this as a plan B :-)

this is also what i am doing. i got the car charger at office max or office depot i am not sure which, but they had the motorola car charger for $15 (2+ years ago), and i got the motorola micro usb adapter for about $3 on ebay. no problems at all.
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    here is a little help on finding cheap adapters:
    on amazon search for:

Motorola RAZR2 V8 V9 V9m Q9h OEM Original Mini USB to Micro USB Adapter - SKN6252 (5 PC)

its like $2 a piece so you'll have one for the office, one for the car, one for home and extras!!!
    hope this solve your problem...
    The two greatest causes of system failures are sysadmins and users. If you can keep both of these groups away from your machines, the reliability increases dramatically.
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    Try the Motorola Micro USB charger. I got mine from a seller on ebay. Its an OEM and it works great.
    Dell x51v → Motorola Q (Verizon) → Mogul → 800w → Treo Pro → Touch Pro 2 (SERO) → HTC EVO 3D → HTC EVO 4G LTE → HTC One S → Nexus 4
    I just got an unlocked Palm Treo Pro (GSM) and the port although small, does not appear have a mini USB interface but a MICRO USB interface. Does the Sprint version have a micro USB port as well?
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    as far as I know, all have micro....