Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    I am probably the last person to have discovered this, but wanted to make sure that no one else missed out either. When you are typing anything (especially handy on SMS) you can press the "alt" key (not the white one that you use to get a number instead of a letter etc.) and a menu will come up with : % $ and many other symbols where you can easily scroll down and select them. Before I had to use the onscreen keyboard to get the semi colon and it was a pain. Great idea from Palm.
  2. CDG
    Global Posts
    2,003 Global Posts
    Lol, you are probably the last one like you mentioned. It is really handy & thanks for posting it. I don't know if I have ever used the on screen kb for anything & get rather irritated when some programs automatically make it pop-up.

btw, the semi colon is also the func above the k, that's what I use.
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    I meant the colon ":" since it isn't found on the keyboard and I was used to using the white key as the shift to access the characters on top of the keys. Otherwise I never used the onscreen keyboard either.
    Quote Originally Posted by charlyee View Post
    I don't know if I have ever used the on screen kb for anything & get rather irritated when some programs automatically make it pop-up.
    I think we're in a larger group of phone users than we think. ;-) Although I can understand the software keyboard being so prevalent. Most phones don't have a front facing easily accessible (always there or slider) full keyboard. Is there any kind of app to shut off the onscreen keyboard?
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    There are hacks out there to do so. I remember seeing them a couple of months ago when I first got my phone and was looking for Treo Pro hacks. Can't remember where the hack is though. Mine rarely pops up though so it doesn't bother me.
    Quote Originally Posted by mcd78 View Post
    I am probably the last person to have discovered this, but wanted to make sure that no one else missed out either. When you are typing anything (especially handy on SMS) you can press the "alt" key (not the white one that you use to get a number instead of a letter etc.) and a menu will come up with : % $ and many other symbols where you can easily scroll down and select them. Before I had to use the onscreen keyboard to get the semi colon and it was a pain. Great idea from Palm.
    OMG dude, the Earth is not flat, it's spherical, k

This has been in Treo's since Treo's have been around.
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    Alright I think two is enough of making me feel like an *****. I have only had my Treo for a couple of months (yes its my first one). For some reason I thought the white key and alt key were the same. Doh!
    It gets even better! After pressing the ALT button you can press e, a, etc. to get the extra symbols like for example: You type ALT then e it shows: , etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by mccune View Post
    It gets even better! After pressing the ALT button you can press e, a, etc. to get the extra symbols like for example: You type ALT then e it shows: , etc.
    Now, that's one I didn't know about -- my Treo Pro is my 1st Palm phone of any kind.
    The Alt key in PalmOS Treos is even better: you may press Alt then, say, "a" alone and repeat pressing "a" to go through all alternative chars for "a". In WM, you'll have to press cursor-down, which is one extra key, less handy...
    Jorge Costa
    Visor Deluxe -> T|T3 -> Treo 600 (2 weeks) -> Treo 650 + T|T3 -> Treo 680 + T|T3
    Another one is if you use outlook email, hold down the H key while in outlook for a list of shotcuts ie, press and hold S for send/receive.
    A few more shortcuts for new users:

If using PIE in full screen mode, press and hold screen or center button for a menu.

In outlook mail, press the R or L center button to go to SMS.

On Today screen press spacebar for smartdial screen.
    Last edited by jimh2000; 09/22/2009 at 03:20 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by kraski View Post
    I think we're in a larger group of phone users than we think. ;-) Although I can understand the software keyboard being so prevalent. Most phones don't have a front facing easily accessible (always there or slider) full keyboard. Is there any kind of app to shut off the onscreen keyboard?
    yes there is one google nullkb, I use that and when installed you press the button right of the virtual keyboard button on screen and it will prevent that from popping up.

While we are on the subject is there a button combo to turn the speakerphone on. Not for while in calls (just hold the green button) but if I were in the sprint nfl app and wanted to use the radio feature and have it loud enough not to use a headphone
    Last edited by BrianDigital; 09/20/2009 at 05:29 AM. Reason: justing adding
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianDigital View Post
    yes there is one google nullkb, I use that and when installed you press the button right of the virtual keyboard button on screen and it will prevent that from popping up.
    Thanks, Brian.
    Another shortcut:
    up to 99 numbers can be stored in speed dial, press and hold 1 thru 9 to dial numbers stored in single digit speed dials, for two digit speed dials, for example 25, press the 2, then press and hold the 5 to go to number stored in speed dial 25.
    From less informative info to handy shortcuts thread. Nice!
    -del-
    Last edited by HeXacTa; 09/23/2009 at 12:31 AM. Reason: slow net, dbl posted :(
    Quote Originally Posted by HeXacTa View Post
    From less informative info to handy shortcuts thread. Nice!
    This one ought to be stickied. Very useful info.