1.    #1  
    I am rebuilding my Treo 800w, and am about halfway through. I just re-installed Google Maps and Bing, and then decided to check to make sure the built-in maps program was working. However, every time I try and search for something using it (whether I tell it to search nearby and use GPS, or whether I specify an address or zip code), it returns the following error:

No Results Found
    No results were found for your search.

The above error is in a small pop-up dialog box, and if you move it out of the way the screen says, "No POIs found"

Has anyone had any luck using the built-in maps program to search for POI's? Mine still works for mapping addresses, and the GPS component of it still seems to work since when I tell it to map my location it is able to "find me." If no one else's works, maybe Sprint/Palm/Whoever turned off the server connection that enables retrieving POI's? Otherwise, if other people's do work, any suggestions are definitely appreciated. Thanks!
  2.    #2  
    Can anyone confirm if there Treo 800w built-in Maps program still works? From everyone I've talked too, it seems as if the POI portion of the program isn't working for anyone...?
  3.    #3  
    I have spoken at length with both Sprint and Palm about this issue, and here is what I have learned:

- A senior Sprint technician tried the built-in Maps program on an 800w on their end and received the same error message
    - Palm has informed me that the program was designed by Microsoft, and that when they rebranded everything to Bing, they broke the access this program requires to retrieve POI's / directory information.

I am going to see if I can follow up with some people at Microsoft to confirm this, and if so, have them fix it.
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    I just tried BING on my 800W.. I let the GPS find my location.. then selected restaurants and then ALL and it came up with all the restaurants in my area. Then tried to look up DISCOUNT STORES and it found all the ones in my area.. so I dont think there is anything wrong with BING.... I do not know what engineer would tell you something is broken as it is working for me on my 800W
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    Wait I see you are talking about the BUILT IN MAPS PROGRAM? WHICH ONE?? both BING and GOOGLE MAPS and also the GPS software that came with the 800W (and the updated version which I am running) all find the POI's Just fine... EVEN the old LIVE SEARCH and the program called MAPS that came with the phone gets the POI's just fine.....
  6.    #6  
    Unbelievable...!

I just tried the built-in maps software again, and now it seems to be working. I'm wondering if all the noise I have been making with Sprint, Palm, and Microsoft finally got someone to fix it or turn it back on, or something else...

I will probably never know, but at least it is working now again! I'm also ridiculously curious as to who was responsible for this program and who provides the database link that serves up these POI's - if anyone knows, please let me know.

By the way, djqwik - what "updated version" are you referring too? In my post, I wasn't referring to Bing or Google, but rather the built-in program that is displayed on the today screen and also listed in the start menu -> programs listing as "Maps"
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    I was referring to the updated version of the GPS software for the 800W.. I dont use the MAPS program as every time I use it there is no way to CLOSE the program.. So, I use bing or google maps.. I put google toolbar on the today screen and remove the built in MAPS program..
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by djqwik View Post
    I was referring to the updated version of the GPS software for the 800W.. I dont use the MAPS program as every time I use it there is no way to CLOSE the program.. So, I use bing or google maps.. I put google toolbar on the today screen and remove the built in MAPS program..
    But what is the "updated version" ? When you say updated version, are you referring to Google or Bing vs. the built-in program? Or is there actually an updated version of the built-in program?

As far as closing the program, that is pretty much the way WinMo works. Many programs don't offer the ability to close themselves from within the program, but rather you have to go to the Task Mgr to shut them down (such as Internet Explorer, Windows Media Player, etc.). There are a lot of 3rd party utilities out there though that do provide some relief (such as changing the default behavior of clicking OK in the upper right hand corner to an actual closing of the program, etc.).
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mbressman View Post
    But what is the "updated version" ? When you say updated version, are you referring to Google or Bing vs. the built-in program? Or is there actually an updated version of the built-in program?

As far as closing the program, that is pretty much the way WinMo works. Many programs don't offer the ability to close themselves from within the program, but rather you have to go to the Task Mgr to shut them down (such as Internet Explorer, Windows Media Player, etc.). There are a lot of 3rd party utilities out there though that do provide some relief (such as changing the default behavior of clicking OK in the upper right hand corner to an actual closing of the program, etc.).
    as I said, I was referring to the updated version of the SPRINT NAVIGATION. Also as far as closing the MAPS, you cant.. I have a program that will close the applicaiton since it doe not have an EXIT on the menu and even that will not close the MAPS program.. I have never seen a program you can NOT close.... I dont want it running all the time so I dont ever use it....
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by djqwik View Post
    as I said, I was referring to the updated version of the SPRINT NAVIGATION. Also as far as closing the MAPS, you cant.. I have a program that will close the applicaiton since it doe not have an EXIT on the menu and even that will not close the MAPS program.. I have never seen a program you can NOT close.... I dont want it running all the time so I dont ever use it....
    Well, GPS software could mean several things But, I'm glad we cleared that up.

As far as the Maps program, I'm not entirely sure why you are having trouble closing it. Whenever I exit it, it does stay running in the background (similar to many other programs), but if I go into Task Manager (by holding down the OK button for a few seconds), I can see it there and can end the process from there - it takes a few seconds to end, but it always ends/shuts down for me.