1.    #1  
    Hello

I know it may be hard to cook a custom rom on treo 800w, because it's NOT an HTC based device.

Now I get an image file that can flash the OS via SD card, but the version of the image is windows mobile 6 . 1.

My question is that, can anyone cook upgrade it to 6 . 5 based on this image?

Thanks.

<<edited by berd - see my post below for MUDboy's original post>>
    Last edited by berdinkerdickle; 09/16/2009 at 01:20 AM.
    <<Quoted to fix post>>

Quote Originally Posted by MUDboy View Post
    Hello

I know it may be hard to cook a custom rom on treo 800w, because it's NOT an HTC based device.

Now I get an image file(two files, one 'flash.bin' and the other 'loader_xxx.nb0' ) that can flash the OS via SD card, but the version of the image is windows mobile 6.1.

My question is that, can anyone cook upgrade it to 6.5 based on this image?

Thanks.
    Just call me Berd.
    Quoted for nothing but to fix links.

Quote Originally Posted by MUDboy View Post
    Hello

Now I get an image file(two files, one 'flash.bin' and the other 'loader_xxx.nb0' ) that can flash the OS via SD card, but the version of the image is windows mobile 6.1.

My question is that, can anyone cook upgrade it to 6.5 based on this image?

Thanks.

You guys may download the image file from rapidshare link as below.

RapidShare: 1-CLICK Web hosting - Easy Filehosting
    Just call me Berd.
    You'd need someone to create an unlocker (Hard SPL) before you'd be able to ever load any custom ROM. The issue is more the unlocker than someone making the custom ROM. In comparison, the unlocker is the much harder part. Many people make custom ROMs for various devices, but very few really know how to do the unlocker.

The Treo Pro could have had many more custom ROMs than the few it has now, if it could have been unlocked sooner. And it was VERY hard to unlock the Treo Pro.

How can you get an unlocker for the Treo 800w? You've got to get enough people who are willing to donate enough money to convince someone to make the unlocker and ship them a Treo 800w to test with. That is what the CDMA Treo Pro folks did. Very few really have the skills to make the unlocker and you'd want to find someone with a history of doing it successfully, with a record of public positive feedback about their work.

Then, you'd have to find someone who is willing to make a custom ROM for a device that has been EOLed.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    You'd need someone to create an unlocker (Hard SPL) before you'd be able to ever load any custom ROM. The issue is more the unlocker than someone making the custom ROM. In comparison, the unlocker is the much harder part. Many people make custom ROMs for various devices, but very few really know how to do the unlocker.

The Treo Pro could have had many more custom ROMs than the few it has now, if it could have been unlocked sooner. And it was VERY hard to unlock the Treo Pro.

How can you get an unlocker for the Treo 800w? You've got to get enough people who are willing to donate enough money to convince someone to make the unlocker and ship them a Treo 800w to test with. That is what the CDMA Treo Pro folks did. Very few really have the skills to make the unlocker and you'd want to find someone with a history of doing it successfully, with a record of public positive feedback about their work.

Then, you'd have to find someone who is willing to make a custom ROM for a device that has been EOLed.
    Thanks for the clarify.
    Based on my understanding, treo 800w is not from HTC but another ODM company(inventec?), so I am not sure if there's a Hard SPL concept for tero 800w.
    Is the SPL like this one in the pic?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (60.8 KB, 89 views)
    It's not about whether or not it's an HTC device. You need what I mentioned and somebody with the skills to do it.
    @mudboy
    that is good for your picture about 800w radio updating!!! but if you have the multi-image download procedure as you show?? if you have any procedures about treo 800w os or radio update ,would you mind to share them to me??
    treo 800w is not a htc machine, it not need a hardspl before you download a custom rom. but you need a complete (retail machine version) update files ,sd or desktop update files will all be ok!!! I have some sd update files (engineering machine version) . I do some works about rom customing of these files. but I lost lucks. so I need more materials about this machine.
    you can contact me with bluegatar@gmail.com. and if you have some files about it you also can send them to me by this email!!! thx
  8.    #8  
    when hold-pressing the 'RECORD' key and putting in the battery at same time, i found some treo 800w are only support 'update from usb' but others are supported by 'update from sd card'.
    Is there any way to switch these two mode?
    Hey guys,

I found out something interesting. I used the Treo Pro RUU Updater with my Treo 800w and it detected the 800w's low battery life. Upon switching to a battery with more than 50%, I was able to go all the way until the screen that allows me to update the Treo 800w with the 850 ROM. I don't want to do this as it will most likely brick my phone. Anyone with a spare want to try this out?

h t t p : / / discussion.treocentral.com/1621934-post1.html

JAmerican
    I loaded it all the way.

It went to the progress section of the app on the PC and my Treo 800w screen went black. Nothing happened for a few minutes then the program gave me an error. A few seconds later, the Treo 800w was responsive again with no black screen. It did not reset after the black screen.

I also attempted to get to the last screen before the progress screen in the app and then go to the Treo (Inventec) bootloader using the RECORD button. I then proceeded with the update in the app and it gave an error.

I even tried using the Rapidshare files in the earlier post on a USB stick and USB Host it to the Treo 800w.

Nothimg works. This 800w is definitely brick-proof.