1. Pun
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    So I'm up for an upgrade with sprint...I got the treo 800 and I don't know if I should get the Treo Pro or the Pre. Has anyone here had both, and willing to give some advice as to which is the better choice. I haven't played with either yet, but my last 3 phones were Treo's and I'm thinking the Pro is the safe bet, but I'm somewhat intrigued by the Pre. Any advice?
    Global Posts
    431 Global Posts
    I had the same decision to make earlier this year. I have seen and used both phones and both have their up sides and down sides. The decision for me came down to ultimate cost. My plan (for family) was roughly $90 and in order to get the PRE Sprint was going to force me to go to their $130 Everything Data Family plan. That meant that the Pre was going to cost me $40 per month more than the Pro (Since I could stick with my existing plan with the Pro). I decided to go with the Pro and I have been very happy with it. I of course still eye a lot of the nice features the Pre has, but I have a lot of nice features on my Pro that are not available on the Pre yet (Slingplayer, for example).

Ultimately I don't think that you can go wrong with either phone, but cost is something to consider before deciding...at least it was for me. Of course, my friend decided to go the opposite route and got the Pre. He is very happy as well. Hope this helps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pun View Post
    So I'm up for an upgrade with sprint...I got the treo 800 and I don't know if I should get the Treo Pro or the Pre. Has anyone here had both, and willing to give some advice as to which is the better choice. I haven't played with either yet, but my last 3 phones were Treo's and I'm thinking the Pro is the safe bet, but I'm somewhat intrigued by the Pre. Any advice?
    Right now, there are customizations that I use on my Treo Pro that either aren't available yet on WebOS or are far less mature. I've had the GSM Pro for about a year, now. I check out things like the Pre & the Hero with interest. But I keep coming back to the fact that I've got a phone that looks cool & does what I want the way I want it to.

I've been with AT&T since the early 90s, back in the old TDMA days. in that time, I've had two phones that I didn't want to give up. One was a TDMA Panasonic Duramax -- not fancy, looked like a mini walkie talkie, but it was rugged, had great call audio, better than average signal strength, & had great battery life (at least for its time). The other is my GSM Treo Pro -- Manila 2D gives me a usable & attractive ui, I have a variety of added apps for GPS, Bible, calendar, contacts, Facebook, Twitter, several different browsers, blogging & an office suite compatible with the computer versions of MS Office (no conversion to WinMo Office format, losing formatting), very good music/online radio apps. An extended battery gets me the battery life I need, call & music audio is very good & the GTP has better signal strength than any other GSM phone I've owned or tried.

HTH

Bill
    You may want to consider the just-announced Palm Pixi for Sprint. It's the same form-factor as the 800w (front qwerty), built like a Treo Pro, but runs WebOS.

If deciding between WebOS and WM, you'll have to spell out what it is specifically that you do and expect to do on these phones. Generally they do 90% of the same stuff, but for some there is a one-killer app that the other doesn't (yet) offer.

Even though it doesn't have Wifi, I'm leaning towards the Pixi myself (I was a huge fan of the Centro).

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    I 10th what Malatesta states about what you want to do and accomplish with the phone. For my purpose, WebOS is not there at this time; hence I went with the Touch Pro 2. What I need: Office/Word/Excel and database, none of which are there at this time with the Pre except via Classic and with Classic running DTG it means that you still do not have multitasking. In other words, you can only have one instance/card of Classic running at one time.
    I'd not bother with either one...

Well, it depends.... if you don't need to worry about calls and only want to do internet, get the pro. Pro misses calls every now and again. When I need to wait on an important call, I breakout one of my other phones. Sometimes the pro's keyboard is a bit too small...

Pre... play with it... it is a lot smaller than you think. If you do a lot of typing and have big hands, the pre will suck. If you have small hands (ie girlie man) then the pre will be okay.

It really depends on what you want to do... I can't recommend a tp2 since I've not played with one yet.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    I disagree I have large hands & the pre's keyboard is fine for me try it for yourself everyones different but I will say this I too thought the keyboard small when I used the dummy phone for some reason its not the same as the real deal
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean-Troy View Post
    I disagree I have large hands & the pre's keyboard is fine for me try it for yourself everyones different but I will say this I too thought the keyboard small when I used the dummy phone for some reason its not the same as the real deal
    Why on earth would you assume I had not tried it?

Odd... but I have... too small for me... useless pieces of plastic...

That is my opinion and you can have yours.... not that you are wrong and I'm right... who cares....
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    another plus is that the pixi might not have the mandatory everything plan requirement.
    Smart Phone History->Centro-> Treo 700wx-> Treo 755p-> Htc Mogul -> Treo 800w-> Palm Treo Pro
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    I washoping that alltel had the pre also, but they only have the pro...however i did get a chance to play with my friends treo pre,and honestly i wasnt a fan of it.....It may be because of the full screen that is touch screen. but I didnt care to much for it.