1.    #1  
    Oh my... I am typically quite savvy when it comes to technology, but for some reason I am challenged setting up my new Treo Pro. The online user guide barely touches on the topic of synchronization, and I can't seem to figure it out on my own.

Nothing fancy here... I am simply trying to sync my outlook calendar so that my meetings apear on my Treo's calendar. I can't get it to work. I am able to view my Treo's file manager on my laptop, so I know the connection is there, but I can't seem to get it to complete any sync request.

I have 2 separate laptops, each with a different outlook account. I know I can only have one associated with my device, but I did try setting up each one, and can't get either to work, so I don't think the problem is account related.

Can someone provide me with Sync 101 instructions? What am I doing wrong?
  2.    #2  
    Can't anyone help me?

I am so frustrated - no matter what I do, the phone will not sync with activesync. It says "connected" but won't complete a synchronozation. I also am not able to get my exchange email to work, but with no explanation. My IT guys from work looked at it, confirmed all the correct info was entered, but I can't get my exchange mail. Yes, I can get my yahoo mail. And i can browse the web.

I used to have a treo 650 with versamail, and somebody told me that I need to retrieve my old versamail settings from my treo 650 and enter them into my new phone. Why would I need to do that? I am no longer on the palm operating system.

Is this something that requires I go in to a sprint store for assistance? I am so frustrated!
    Not sure if I can help but will try because I know how frustrating these phones can be. Your TP should have automatically walked you through the activesync, mine did. What happens when you connect your phone to the computer? Also what OS are you using?
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by karib View Post
    Not sure if I can help but will try because I know how frustrating these phones can be. Your TP should have automatically walked you through the activesync, mine did. What happens when you connect your phone to the computer? Also what OS are you using?
    I have Windows XP on my laptop. I already have Activesync 4.5 installed. When I connected my TP for the first time, I got confirmation that the software was installed correctly and I was ready to sync. When I clicked OK, the TP/Laptop, which WERE connected (according to activesync), both showed that sync was attempting, but after a LONG period of time I got 2 errors.

1. The TP gave an error message stating that I did not have the appropriate settings to complete the sync and that action was required. A small Powervision bubble window opened with link called "settings" but I have no idea what I am supposed to do with that. I find no reference to this anywhere in the documentation or online.

2. The laptop gave me an error that stated activesync was unable to sync. It advised me to run through the desktop troubleshooter, which I did. The troublshooter returned "no problems found".

grrrrr.....
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    I'm not at my connected computer to walk through the details, but in the settings options you need to check that USB syncing is enabled. with mine it occaisonally unticks this option and I can't sync. Dunno why...

Also the 1st time you tried syncing it should have walked you through the options of what you want to sync (emails, contacts, calendar etc). Did it do that?
    I pointed out to you the moon and the stars, and all you saw was my fingertip.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Simsim View Post
    I'm not at my connected computer to walk through the details, but in the settings options you need to check that USB syncing is enabled. with mine it occaisonally unticks this option and I can't sync. Dunno why...

Also the 1st time you tried syncing it should have walked you through the options of what you want to sync (emails, contacts, calendar etc). Did it do that?
    USB Syncing is enabled. But no, the first attempt at syncing never walked me through any type of sync set-up. I have always just received an error.
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    Activesync has always been automatic with all the WM phones I've had. Just plug in and Activesync recognises what make and model of phone it is and if you haven't sync'ed it before walks you through the intro stage and choosing options.

Thinking back the only times it has failed is when I had Palm OS (Hotsync), and Symbian phones set up to sync all on the same computer. Occaisionally that would cause problems and I would have to switch off one or other so the others could sync.

Not completely uninstal, mind you, just switch off the app in the task bar, bottom right.

If you have other smartphones with a connection, that might be the problem. Otherwise I would suggest uninstalling Activesync altogether and reinstalling after a restart.
    I pointed out to you the moon and the stars, and all you saw was my fingertip.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    If you are doing the pairing for the first time or after a hard reset, the Pro is by default in storage mode, i.e. the USB connection to the laptop will report to the PC that your phone is a USB storage device, not a WM phone that needs active sync. Once you plug the phone in the system, the Pro checks for Activesync. If it finds it, then it goes into WM mode. To me it sounds like the phone failed somewhere along the way in detecting the Active sync and is now stuck in storage mode.

OK mate, let's go through the steps one by one:

- Unconnect the phone from the laptop.
    - You have Active Sync installed (4.5). Keep it there.
    - open Outlook with the profile you want to sync to. If you only have one Outlook profile then this is not a problem.
    - Hard-reset the phone. If you would not like to do this, then make sure your Pro does not have any software that messes up the USB interface (i.e. softick Card Export). If you have not installed anything in the phone then just Hard reset.
    - Plug the phone to the machine with the USB cable.
    - The laptop should detect the phone as a storage device and an autorun program should start. This is the automated Pro installer that looks for Active Sync.
    - Let the program do its thing and click the Oks from the prompts. Once it finishes, it should then re-set the connection
    - Your phone will now be in WM mode and Active sync will detect it. It should then prompt you if you want to establish a connection with this device. Say yes. Active Sync should then start the pairing process and the link will be established.
    - Check the Active Sync options to sync what you want.

If you have troubles along the chain, post them here and let's see if we can help.
    Ode to the Treo Pro: you had to look so good, you had to be HTC in disguise...
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    I also had this problem and it was corrected by stopping my cisco vpn service via control panel-admin tools-comp services. I've confirmed multiple times that that is exactly what my issue was.
    I did the initial sync using the phone data connection. I have also done it using wifi through my home network, but not with the phone connected via USB (initially).

When connected via USB to my computer, I believe the laptop is just a pass thru to the corporate exchange server.

I deleted and reestablished Activesync a few times for various reasons.

To delete the current activesync

If you want to start off then delete the current activesync by:

StartMenu>programs>activesync

then select menu from the lower right and select the options sub menu

You will see a delete button there.

Good luck.