1. CDG
    Global Posts
    2,003 Global Posts
    I changed my Treo Pro and used the Sprite back up from my previous. The contact soft key is not working, gives an error message of "error opening the shortcut or lication the target file name"

As I mentioned in a different thread, the new one is a different firmware version, could someone please post the values behind the "contacts" short cut.

Thanks much.
    Please Visit My Other Hangout
    Palm Pilot > Palm IIIxe > Palm Vx > Palm Treo 750 > Palm Treo Pro > BB 9700.
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    Just use Resco Registry Editor (or something similar) and navigate to:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Today\Keys and then go to
    112 for the left key 113 for the right key

Click on 'Open' and in the String you can link to any executable or even the .lnk buttons in the start menu will also work. So for the start menu use:

\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Contacts.lnk

That's the easiest way... just be sure to dbl check your start menu with file manager to be sure in case you put it into a sub folder or something.

By using the lnk files in the start menu, you can easily change to any new apps you may have installed and put those on the softkeys as well.

And an even easier way to change them is to install Wisbar Advance 3... it's actually one of the settings you can easily change and just browse to the file you want to open with the softkey.
  3. CDG
    Global Posts
    2,003 Global Posts
    Thanks but it appears that I lost the *contacts* from my programs.

I used the ROM mode when I did the Restore, should I have used the SAFE mode?

Thanks
    I've had trouble trying to do a Sprite restore when moving to a new device.

ps.
    I miss you guys.

The Pre just ruined everything for us Pro Users.
    Just call me Berd.
    You should not feel so bad about loosing your contacts, as sometimes Sprite Bckp fails I know that from experience too.

You know that in my case I had saved a backup on my PC and then after almost a month when my Treo Pro started acting up I did the hard-reset think the backup I had on my PC would work & it didn't. But I always had my contacts on Outlook, so I was able to get my PIM data back on my Treo.
  6. CDG
    Global Posts
    2,003 Global Posts
    Hey Berd, I was wondering where you were.

Ok I managed to get the contacts shortcut into the programs file & can open it from there.

Could some one please help me to link it to the contacts left soft key.

I didn't lose any data just the access to it from the Today screen.

Thanks very much.
    Last edited by charlyee; 08/29/2009 at 03:04 PM.
  7. CDG
    Global Posts
    2,003 Global Posts
    Got it

I had to put a shortcut in the AppButtons folder within Windows. Good thing I hadn't packed up my old one yet.

As it turns out I had the same problem with the calendar button, which I very seldom use since I have TodayAgenda.
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by charlyee View Post
    Hey Berd, I was wondering where you were.

Ok I managed to get the contacts shortcut into the programs file & can open it from there.

Could some one please help me to link it to the contacts left soft key.

I didn't lose any data just the access to it from the Today screen.

Thanks very much.

See my earlier post in this thread! You need to use Registry editor of some sort and change it so that soft key links to the proper location and file. I assume you dropped the contacts.lnk into the windows\start menu\programs\contacts.lnk ? If so, then just follow my above instructions, and point the 'string' to that location
  9. CDG
    Global Posts
    2,003 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Synergie View Post
    See my earlier post in this thread! You need to use Registry editor of some sort and change it so that soft key links to the proper location and file. I assume you dropped the contacts.lnk into the windows\start menu\programs\contacts.lnk ? If so, then just follow my above instructions, and point the 'string' to that location
    Thanks Synergie, I didn't have to get into the registry at all. The solution was pretty simple as I mentioned. I looked the folders in my old Pro and found out that the Calendar & the Contacts shortcuts were missing from the AppButtons folder on the new one. Somehow the Sprite backup must have deleted. There maybe other items also but so far that appears to be the only two.

Thanks very much

Quote Originally Posted by charlyee View Post
    Got it

I had to put a shortcut in the AppButtons folder within Windows. Good thing I hadn't packed up my old one yet.

As it turns out I had the same problem with the calendar button, which I very seldom use since I have TodayAgenda.
    I hqve has similar issues when restoring using Spritem but I also have managed to do the same thing by moving the .lnk files back into the programs directory & it worked for me as well.
  11. CDG
    Global Posts
    2,003 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chestvrg View Post
    I hqve has similar issues when restoring using Spritem but I also have managed to do the same thing by moving the .lnk files back into the programs directory & it worked for me as well.
    Now you tell me :P (just teasing you ).

This was my first, if it happens again I will know & not start to panic & worry about a hard reset & starting from scratch.

Thanks
    Just trust Sprite. it has it's flaws but it is a great program.
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    I used SPB Backup going from one Treo Pro to another (got a dud at first) and with no problems at all. I have never tried Sprite... I already had the license for the SPB one from earlier devices.