Global Posts
    178 Global Posts
    Ok, I know there are some threads on here discussing this but I am not a expert on hacks and registry edits and such so I wanted to get "plain English answers" so to speak.
    I have a Treo Pro and I have installed the WMWiFi router software and have connected with it but not long enough to be sure I did it correctly. I am not sure which one of the connections to pick to assure that I am getting connected without incurring any data charges. I do have the Everything Data Plan but just need to know if there is a better way to connect my laptop through my phone and be safe.
    I did hear that the PDANet was good and no one has incurred any extra charges with it but I cannot get my phone to connect with activesync on my laptop, so not sure what the problem is there but I would like someone who knows exactly the best way to tether my Treo Pro without getting charged for something I am already paying for. I just want to be able to use my laptop from time to time without paying those outrageous fees.
    Any help out there would be greatly appreciated!
    I have PDA net with my GSM Treo Pro...but I prefer to use the built-in Internet Sharing appl.
    i have used WMWiFi router using the wifi and have never gotten charged any extra data charges, you have the everything data plan so using WMWiFi should not get you billed any extra, sprint can not tell how the data is being used through WMWiFi, just dont use too many gigabytes in a single month or they mite ask questions
    Smart Phone History->Centro-> Treo 700wx-> Treo 755p-> Htc Mogul -> Treo 800w-> Palm Treo Pro
    It's like they shouldn't bill you extra at all, you're already paying for your data services, unless you want your smartphone for tethering purposes, a 3G PC card would be the best option. But for periotic web surfing on PC I don't see a problem.
    You should be fine. HTC WiFi Sharing is a free, no-muss-no-fuss app the does the trick.
    Better than WMWiFiRouter and PDA Net, if all you need to do is connect yourself to the internet.
    Highl recommended.
    Quote Originally Posted by jb4kats View Post
    I would like someone who knows exactly the best way to tether my Treo Pro without getting charged for something I am already paying for. I just want to be able to use my laptop from time to time without paying those outrageous fees.
    Any help out there would be greatly appreciated!
    To be clear, unless you are paying for a tethering plan, you *can* be charged. Well, more than likely kicked off sprint for breaking TOS.

You *more than likely won't* be charged/booted if you use a product such as pdanet, wifirouter, htc wifi, etc... but no one here can be 100% certain.

I tether without a tethering plan and take the risk... I'm not against tethering by any means...

I normally see the most common "limit" spoke around here and other places set to do 5gb... although, I do no more than 2 gb per month when I do use the service. I doubt if I break 1 gb though...

Far as using the products, read the stuff online (forums, etc)... read the "help" manuals. Connecting via usb or wifi (or something else) is a personal choice... depends on how you want to use the product and what resources you have available.

Good luck. lol
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001