Global Posts
    257 Global Posts
    So yesterday, Skyfire released an update to their Symbian and Windows Mobile Browsers. I've been using Iris as my default browser, but since their latest news, I'm looking for an alternative. I've tried skyfire in the past, but wondered if anyone's checked it out yet for the (S)Treo pro?

What’s new in 1.1?

Improved page load times. For sites that take a long time to load, we updated our algorithm to bring you the content much quicker.
    Improved scrolling and zooming on Symbian. This is a much faster and smoother experience now.
    Improved reconnect. Skyfire will show clearly when you can start interacting with the web page in case it previously timed out and disconnected (to save battery life).
    WML support. If you are browsing to mobile sites that use the old mobile WML markup, you can now view the content.
    Improved mobile website support. Mobile.* websites are now rendered automatically as mobile with the exception of mobile.yahoo.com since it is a PC site.
    Page up/down navigation via short-key: You can use now ‘2’ and ‘8’ to easily navigate one page up or down. Great for reading articles. Now the short-key for invoking the Superbar is ‘*’. Please note that on some devices with a non-standard keyboard layout, short-keys may behave differently since this is phone specific.
    Updated Plug-ins: For Flash, Silverlight and QuickTime we have the newest versions to give you more compatibility with more sites.
    Fixes in this release

Skyfire quits on startup on Windows Mobile 6.5 devices: It affected a limited number of 6.0 and 6.1 devices as well. (Fixed Issue 7369)
    Samsung Propel and Jack (AT&T): Could not uninstall Skyfire if the SIM card was missing. Fixed.
    Known issues in this release

Short-keys inconsistent on non-standard keyboard. On some keyboard layouts (half-qwerty, dual keyboards), the short-keys do not work as expected. (Issue 7498, 7408, 7581)

Here's where you get it: get.skyfire.com
    i have been using skyfire for quite some time it is good for when you need to use a regular computer-like site. for a short while i used it as default browser but then went to the old style PIE. the scrolling is an annoying thing because i am not sure it has a scroll bar u have to drag the site with ur finger its kind of stupid. there is a chance there is some way around this that i am not aware of.
    I tried 1.1 and I like what I saw, but I use Greader to read RSS news and I like the iPhone interface. Skyfire don't render the clicked articles as well as Opera Mobile or Iris Browser does.

But for general browsing, it is quick and it is effective. IMHO.

gb
    Global Posts
    221 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by decalex View Post
    So yesterday, Skyfire released an update to their Symbian and Windows Mobile Browsers. I've been using Iris as my default browser, but since their latest news, I'm looking for an alternative. I've tried skyfire in the past, but wondered if anyone's checked it out yet for the (S)Treo pro?

Here's where you get it: get.skyfire.com
    Skyfire's a no-go for me because all the content goes through their proxy. Not only do I dislike the idea of them being able to log/store/market/whatever to all the sites I visit, there's a few times where a particular web site doesn't work properly through their proxy. Bad design.
    I'm disappointed with skyfire tuning options - non-adjustable keymap, no animations disable or other features

iris was waay better on that part
    Quote Originally Posted by jsp_m View Post
    I'm disappointed with skyfire tuning options - non-adjustable keymap, no animations disable or other features

iris was waay better on that part
    I agree with you. Skyfire is a proxy based browser, with less features than the other browsers. The settings options are pathetic. But no doubt it is a quick browser.

gb
    Quote Originally Posted by sansnil View Post
    Skyfire's a no-go for me because all the content goes through their proxy. Not only do I dislike the idea of them being able to log/store/market/whatever to all the sites I visit, there's a few times where a particular web site doesn't work properly through their proxy. Bad design.
    well you've made a convert out of me for the time being. installed Iris 1.19 the other day and haven't looked back once. even though i'm a winmo phone junkie, oddly enough i don't do that much web browsing. but the little I do, so far, has been good with Iris...
    Samsung N400 -> LG LX5350 -> Samsung A400 -> Sanyo 8100 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> HTC 6700 -> Treo 700wx -> HTC Touch -> HTC Mogul -> HTC Touch -> Samsung ACE -> Treo 800w -> HTC Touch -> Touch Pro -> Treo 800w -> Touch Pro -> Treo Pro -> Blackberry Bold 9650
    The thing that I don't understand is why Iris browser is so slow. It renders the pages almost as slow as PIE and/or Opera Mobile. Webkit browsers as Safari on the iPhone are supposedly faster, but it is not the case with Iris on Windows Mobile.

Definitely the quickest browser is Opera Mini on my Treo Pro.

gb
    What version of Opera Mini did you manage to have working on the embedded java engine?
    Opera Mini 4.2

Using the cab that has a recent Java build and Opera Mini bundled (as found in one xda thread) is not working for me. I use a 2008 build for Opera Mini to work. But I'm using Bolt now because it is quicker on the May 2009 Java build. So now I'm no longer using Opera Mini.

gb
    Quote Originally Posted by estuardo View Post
    I'm using Bolt now because it is quicker on the May 2009 Java build.
    Thanks for pointing me to Bolt, I really like it. I created a direct shortcut to it in the Java app but do you know where the icon can be found?
    just wanted to add that Skyfire 1.5 is out today. Although I am trying to switch from Skyfire to Opera Mini 5b2, I figured I'd give it a try, and v1.5 seems to be a huge improvement! I noticed the initial start page thing loads faster, page scrolling seems more fluid, and the toolbar/buttonbar is now at the bottom and seems more like other browsers. I haven't looked at the changelog yet, but just thought i'd pass this on to any skyfire fans out there...
    Samsung N400 -> LG LX5350 -> Samsung A400 -> Sanyo 8100 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> HTC 6700 -> Treo 700wx -> HTC Touch -> HTC Mogul -> HTC Touch -> Samsung ACE -> Treo 800w -> HTC Touch -> Touch Pro -> Treo 800w -> Touch Pro -> Treo Pro -> Blackberry Bold 9650