Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    221 Global Posts
    Anyone else see this posted on the Iris Browser web site? Looks like RIM made Torch an offer they couldn't refuse.

I like how they disabled comments on the blog posting.

I'm guessing this is the end of active development for Iris Browser, which was my favorite WinMo free browser. Looks like Skyfire with it's proxy content model is the only game in town (excl. non-free Opera).

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Research In Motion (RIM) Acquires Torch Mobile
    Posted dateAugust 24, 2009 CommentComments Off

Torch Mobile is excited to announce that our company has been acquired by Research In Motion (RIM), one of the most renowned mobile technology companies in the world. Our team of developers will join RIM’s global organization and will now be focused on utilizing our WebKit-based mobile browser expertise to contribute to the ongoing enhancement of the BlackBerry® platform.

Torch Mobile’s team of highly skilled developers has been actively involved in Open Source development and includes contributors, Committers and Reviewers of the WebKit project. As part of RIM, these developers will continue to be active participants in the WebKit development community.

eh, RIM can keep Torch and their Iris browser.

It was never more than a side interest in the browser wars on WM (imo) and it was never anything to write home about--so RIM can have it and I'll gladly stick with Opera, Skyfire, UCWeb and eventually Firefox (whenever that happens).

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Global Posts
    221 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    eh, RIM can keep Torch and their Iris browser.

It was never more than a side interest in the browser wars on WM (imo) and it was never anything to write home about--so RIM can have it and I'll gladly stick with Opera, Skyfire, UCWeb and eventually Firefox (whenever that happens).
    Can't say I agree, on my TP Iris was definitely the fastest most iPhone like browser around. Let's run down the alternatives:

Skyfire - perhaps the next runnerup but imho, but I really can't stand their proxy model. Why do I (and why does anyone) want my web traffic all run through and logged by Skyfire? Thanks, but no. Not to mention, not all web sites work. Translation: nogo.

UCWeb - haven't tried this one, but the Treo Pro doesn't appear to be supported.

Firefox (mobile) - still in-theory-ware, if/when, well not today.

Which leaves us with Opera Mobile. The latest verison with comparable features, still in beta, but I'm guessing I'll have to suck it up and pay given I can't stomach Skyfire's middleman approach. As long as I get to say, "But what?? I NEVER pay for a mobile web browser!!" I guess there's always IE after all.
    Last time I used their browser was on a PPC6700. It wasn't bad then, but I think I stuck with Opera 8.65
    Quote Originally Posted by sansnil View Post
    Can't say I agree, on my TP Iris was definitely the fastest most iPhone like browser around..
    Well, I said it was my opinion, not necessarily trying get anyone to agree with me or convince them otherwise
    Skyfire - perhaps the next runnerup but imho, but I really can't stand their proxy model. Why do I (and why does anyone) want my web traffic all run through and logged by Skyfire? Thanks, but no. Not to mention, not all web sites work. Translation: nogo.
    Proxies are to speed up browsing. They go through a server, which compresses and formats the site for your phone. True, technically there is a security risk if you are doing logins/transactions, but for everyday browsing it is faster than non-proxy types. That's why everyone loves Opera Mini (another popular alternative) and why they added the option to Opera Mobile 9.7.
    UCWeb - haven't tried this one, but the Treo Pro doesn't appear to be supported.
    No, it works. It too is a proxy model, so you may not like, but I think it works quite nicely. He's my write up on it.
    Let's run down the alternatives:
    Yup, like...

So there is no shortage whatsoever of browsers available or in-development (9? Not to mention IE and addons like MultiIE)--it's just a matter of finding one that you like. Hey, at least the current version of Iris is not going anywhere, so you still go that at least.

I just thought Iris was slow, took awhile to load and IIRC didn't handle flash/video/audio. Plus the menu system was clunky. We needed a thinning of the herd, so to speak, lol.
    Last edited by Malatesta; 08/24/2009 at 03:46 PM.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Iris is too slow in my TP, comparing with both netfront 3.5 and PIE. But anyway it is too sad that they just walk away.
    Treo 750 unbranded T-mobile, HTC WIZARD 8125 T-MOBILE (broken), Treo 650 T-mobile 1.43/1.14 OS 5.4.8 Garnet (sold).
    Dell X50v, X30 624Mhz and HP ipaq h2210 h1945.

Treo 750 hacks thread.
    True Malatesta.
    I think I'll be next in line to try out Dorothy Browser.
    Iris was just so touch friendly
    Has more of a "bouncey" feeling to it compared to IE6.

Treo Pro Owner! 8)
    Modder, hacker, and App creator!
    Global Posts
    221 Global Posts
    Fair enough. It's strange though, I never had any issues with Iris being slow. I actually think I'd be happy with Skyfire if they made the option of a proxy just that -- an option. I wouldn't mind running it through my own proxy, but I really don't like it being hard-wired into someone else's. Most of all, if you're going to do that, every page should work through it and I did find a few that just would inexplicably not load in Skyfire.

But thanks for the leads on the alternatives, the field does still look like there's ample room for herd thinning.
    I tried iris, and while it kept getting better with every release, i wasnt really blown away. I dont why understand why netfront 3.5 isnt more popular with the treo crowd. once you enable the default (tahoma font) and disable javascript for faster browsing on netfront, it beats the pants of mostly everything out there.
    I like the fact that Iris is a webkit browser and when you surfed over to sites optimised for the iPhone, they;d display the iPhone version which looks quite nice.
    What other Webkit browsers are there for WM?
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    Quote Originally Posted by makrotonik View Post
    I tried iris, and while it kept getting better with every release, i wasnt really blown away. I dont why understand why netfront 3.5 isnt more popular with the treo crowd. once you enable the default (tahoma font) and disable javascript for faster browsing on netfront, it beats the pants of mostly everything out there.
    Netfront is not freeware and each concept build expires in 3 month. Unless you are using a cracked version, most people won't bother using it.
    Treo 750 unbranded T-mobile, HTC WIZARD 8125 T-MOBILE (broken), Treo 650 T-mobile 1.43/1.14 OS 5.4.8 Garnet (sold).
    Dell X50v, X30 624Mhz and HP ipaq h2210 h1945.

Treo 750 hacks thread.
    Well, let me just throw on my asbestos suit and say, I am perfectly happy with PIE (not IE6 on STP, mind you, thank you Cody). I've tried Skyfire, Iris, Opera and UCWeb, and I just didn't care for them. Of those, Iris was my least favorite so I'm not terribly upset. I guess whatever works for you.....
    Global Posts
    221 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SandersJC1964 View Post
    Well, let me just throw on my asbestos suit and say, I am perfectly happy with PIE (not IE6 on STP, mind you, thank you Cody). I've tried Skyfire, Iris, Opera and UCWeb, and I just didn't care for them. Of those, Iris was my least favorite so I'm not terribly upset. I guess whatever works for you.....
    You know, it is funny how sometimes I'll still use PIE if I'm browsing a primarily text web site. If it's media rich or a complex security site PIE doesn't cut it by far, but you can't beat it for speed in a lot of ways.
    Personally, I don't understand how anyone can get excited about a browser on a phone with a screen so small.

The small screen irritates the heck out of me. Guess it is good that I don't cruise the web that much... although, I would not mind.

With that said, I agree with the poster who said pie was good... yea, it works.

I also carry a black berry, so I'm thrilled that they purchased Iris... Rim NEEDS a browser a heck of a lot more than WM needs one.

Plus, I hope the Iris guys/gals made a decent return on their investment. I'm sure they deserved it!!!!
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    No offense but that browser was terrible and rubbish at best the few times i used it. Good riddance, at least there is still Opera, Opera Mini and Skyfire.
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
    Global Posts
    221 Global Posts
    It should be interesting to see how Iris does on the Blackberry as I agree that they need the most help for a decent web browser. Meanwhile we'll have to wait for something decent on WM 'cause Opera, Skyfire, etc really don't even come close to Safari on the iPhone.
    Don't let the door hit you on the way out, Torch Mobile.
    At least it was better than PIE. A little.

All of these browsers are useless IMO, because they will drain the battery quickly (even the Treo Pro's extended battery).
    I use Opera Mini for 90% of my needs, and Skyfire is there for the occasional need to stream from a website. I don't need anything else.
    If Opera Turbo added support for saved passwords, I might use than instead of Mini.

I can't wait to see what Opera has waiting for us in the next major Mini release, whenever that may be.
    Is there other WebKit browser for WM? Iris approach was well intended, but didn't show the real speed gain you can get using Webkit.

I'd really like to use Opera Mini more, but even using the "Extra large" font, it still display a small and thin, hard to read, font. I use Bolt because of this. Bolt is slower, but displays better, more readable text than Opera Mini.

Does anybody know a way to have a more readable font in Opera Mini?
    It is really fast!

gb
    Global Posts
    257 Global Posts
    Man, I was so looking forward to the future of Iris WM browsers. I hope they still put out 1.2. It has seriously been the most reliable browser for my STP -- especially with the last 2 releases.

Has anyone tried the latest version of Skyfire? (1.1)
    Global Posts
    150 Global Posts
    If any of you has ever used DROPBOX (an incredible free PC app - Dropbox - Home - Secure backup, sync and sharing made easy. ) - for some reason, as far as I could tell, Iris was the only browser that could flawlessly get web access to my dropbox files.

..and that's the only reason I'll miss it.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast