1. jmt
    I just picked a Pro at my Sprint store. I was quite surprised to find that Internet sharing now works without a hac. One point of worry however is that when it makes a connection it says its connecting as a Phone As Modem connection. When you connect to the Internet on the phone you get the standard Powervision connection. I wonder if Sprint can now track and charge for this service?
  2. jmt
    I forgot to mention that you can connect with Phone As Modem and serf on your laptop and simultaneously connect with your phone through Powervision and serf different websites at the same time
    i tried to use it the other day and it said error check vision password did not work
    Mine worked out of the box as well. I purchased my STP in June.
  5. jmt
    Quote Originally Posted by cfong View Post
    Have you noticed any charges on your Sprint bill for Phone as Modem service?
    Doesn't the Pro always connect to the internet that way? I always get that #777 dial up window when I connect. Never saw that on other phones and they said that's just how Win Mobile phones connect. Would imagine it's the same with using PAM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jmt View Post
    I just picked a Pro at my Sprint store. I was quite surprised to find that Internet sharing now works without a hac. One point of worry however is that when it makes a connection it says its connecting as a Phone As Modem connection. When you connect to the Internet on the phone you get the standard Powervision connection. I wonder if Sprint can now track and charge for this service?
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
  7. jmt
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    Doesn't the Pro always connect to the internet that way? I always get that #777 dial up window when I connect. Never saw that on other phones and they said that's just how Win Mobile phones connect. Would imagine it's the same with using PAM.
    No, as I stated when you use it as Phone As Modem it says its connecting in "Phone As Modem". When you connect to the internet with your Pro if says its connecting as "Power Vision" It now reports them to Sprint as two different types of connections. This has never happened before My Treo 800W always said it was connecting through Power Vision regardless of the type of connection I was making. So Sprint now, for the first time, is able to track and maybe charge depending on the type of internet connection you are making. Maybe Pdanet could mask this and make all connections through Power Vision?
    gotchya. I guess that only really matters if you plan on abusing it though, no? I mean if you hook this up to your cradlepoint and run your house through it day in and day out, I could see them having an issue. But don't most just use it supplemental like while out and about with their laptop and no wifi is to be had?

I know there's always tons of arguments about modem use, but if you are abusing the use of it...
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Quote Originally Posted by cfong View Post
    My billing ends on 23rd. I guess I will know soon. But I used it as a modem very briefly, merely did a couple google searches to prove to myself it was working. Some said Sprint would let it pass if a user didn't abused the capability.

After that, I installed the hack suggested from this forum. It was supposed to mask the tethering.

I'll let you know when I see my bill.
    Let's compare notes....

Go to dial pad, type ##778#
    Choose View

Post what you have for the following info:

Software Version:
    Firmware Version:
    Hardware Version:
    PRI Version:
    PRI Checksum:
    Manufacturers Date:

Then choose View info and click PRL:

PRL ID:
    PRL Capability(PRL Type):

Then choose View info and click Data Parameters:

Packet Dial String:
    Rev. A:

That should be enough for now. Here's my info for the above questions:

Post what you have for the following info:

Software Version: 1.12I.E.S1
    Firmware Version: 1.11.30F
    Hardware Version: A
    PRI Version: 1.76_003
    PRI Checksum: 0x6156
    Manufacturers Date: 22-Apr-2009

Then choose View info and click PRL:

PRL ID: 60652
    PRL Capability(PRL Type): IS-683C

Then choose View info and click Data Parameters:

Packet Dial String: #777
    Rev. A: Enable
    any word on if this showed up on your bill?