1.    #1  
    Hey everyone,

Have loved the 800w for some time. It was great working w/ everyone here to hack and improve a really neat device. Unfortunately, everyone seems to have "left the building" and we seem to be at a dead end. Either that, or everyone's 800's are so stable and perfect that there's no need to come visit Treo Central anymore? (Ha)

Additionally I'm starting to have some hardware issues where my 800 won't wake up w/o a huge fuss.

So...where did you go, and/or where are u going? I'm just starting to ponder this question which I was trying to avoid/prolong....

1) Treo Pro... seems like it's a lot like what we've got w/ the 800w. Maybe a bit more refined/stable. GPS issues worked out. Windows Mobile, and mabye an upgrade path? Beautiful Office/Exchange integration. All those winmo apps work.. Is this really that much of a better phone? We're still stuck w/ orphan (and sometimes too small) 320 square screen.

2) Touch Pro... winmo benefits as above. But can we live w/o a keyboard? Aside from the lack of a keyboard, how does the hardware/software compare w/ what we have. I "touched" one once. It seemed to have an entirely different front end. Big plus....bigger screen.

3) Touch Pro II... first I heard of this from Deiter. It's a slider like the Pre? Sounds interesting! Stick w/ winmo, keep the keyboard, and get the big screen. What other benefits/upgrades compared to options 1 and 2.

4. Web OS Pre... I kind of haven't been paying much attention to the fanfare, but keep hearing more and more good things. Just watched the review at engadget.com. It's young, and not perfect, but it could be the future. Just looking at the posts and the number of viewers over there is astounding. Seems like upgrades, improvements, and hacks abound. Might be a lot of fun being in on the ground floor. It's not windows for sure, but hey...isn't Windows half our problem sometimes?

Any and all comments very, very welcome....

Andrew
    Quote Originally Posted by akenis View Post
    2) Touch Pro... winmo benefits as above. But can we live w/o a keyboard? Aside from the lack of a keyboard, how does the hardware/software compare w/ what we have. I "touched" one once. It seemed to have an entirely different front end. Big plus....bigger screen.

3) Touch Pro II... first I heard of this from Deiter. It's a slider like the Pre? Sounds interesting! Stick w/ winmo, keep the keyboard, and get the big screen. What other benefits/upgrades compared to options 1 and 2.
    If you want hacks and activity, there is plenty with the Touch Pro. More custom ROMs than you'll have time to play with. But things are moving to the Touch Pro 2, so you may as well get that if you have interest in the Touch Pro. The Touch Pro 2 will have tons of activity and such too.

The Touch Pro 2 has a slider like the old HTC Tilt. Not like the Pre. The Touch Pro 2 has a landscape slider that can also be tilted to use like a stand, not a portrait slider like the Pre.

I know when I moved from the 800w to the HTC Touch Pro, I thought I'd have real problems with the landscape slider, but I adjusted to using the soft qwerty keyboard in portrait. Having the slider in landscape is good too, epseically when I have the device in my car holder, I like to keep it in landscape and use the big hard keyboard buttons. (Not while driving. But it's just eaiser to use the hard keyboard in my car when the device is sitting in a holder.)

You might want to check out some YouTube videos about things like Rhodium Manila, TF3D and TV Out. Those are things you'll only get on the Touch Pro and Touch Pro 2.
    Just had my 800W replaced (died on me) Sunday. 4th replacement.

Had the Palm rep try to sell me on the Pre. Why is it that every Sprint store I have been in has at least one demo model of the Pre that is ALWAYS frozen?

Well, I am trying out a BB Tour (Sprint). I have to say, I think I may be movin' on....
  4.    #4  
    Not.....

Looks like I'm still onboard w/ the 800!!! Just for grins, in a last attempt prior to trying hard reset, I decided to play around w/ that annoying backlight setting. I had forgotten it was sooooo buggy. I made a bunch of changes, soft reset to try and make it stick, and voila the 800w would once again wake up on command.

I ended up w/ a backlight timeout of 10 seconds which I hate (I'd rather just have it turn off). So I tried to either disable it, or have it match the power off setting of 1 min. Ended up once again in a state where the settings wouldn't stick, and the device wouldn't wake up!!!

3-5 more iterations of trying different combinations of backlight settings along w/ soft reset and it was back to normal working conditions.

I did stop by sprint briefly before all that. She said the little sticker showed a little bit of water, tech would have to look at it. Couldn't wait. Just wanted to ask about upgrade options. Both Pro's and the Pre seem way to expensive.

Did get a chance to handle a Treo Pro dummy phone Keyboard did seem rather tiny, and the whole thing was glossy and seemed just a bit cheaper than the 800w.

Hands on time with the awesome Pre? I can see getting used to the keyboard...probably more so than having to jack the thing open to use it. Guessing that as you get up to speed on gestures that happens less. The app switching "cards" seem really cool and quick. Browser seems slower than my favorite Opera Mini!!! I found it really hard to navigate w/o the d pad. Again w/o knowing the gesture language it was a two handed operation to zoom in/out. Hated the fact that it opened pages way zoomed out. Even when returning to the same page, i had to zoom back in. Screen readability/brightness seems awesome. Didn't get a chance to try anything w/ the larger screen in landscape mode.

I love the treo factor and the 800w. My only real gripe is the square 320 screen and non-compatible apps. Videos and browsing would be so much nicer w/ more real estate. PDF viewer for example is awesome, but once you zoom in, you have to pan back and forth to read a normally formatted document. And remote desktop...windows get clipped and I can't access controls and input boxes sometimes.

Well it's back to worrying about other problems for a while. Ohh crap.. there goes the alarm at 0730 that I set a couple of days ago and disabled!!