Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Is there any way to overclock Treo Pro? Forgive me if this was asked prior, but google wasn't being very helpful.

Thanks!
    No known way.
    Overclocking of the GSM Treo Pro is getting closer!

The guys over at NueRom have apparently succeeded in getting a Touch Pro 2 running at about 768 MHz. There are some issues with stability (possibly related to keeping the radio in synch with the rest of the device), but they definitely seem to be making some progress.

Read the newest posts and comments here:
    Touch Pro running at 800MHZ???
    More notes on overclocking
    Yet more notes on overclocking

And you can download an overclock test application here. But beware: there are many reports of devices locking up and even needing a hard reset to get them working again, so it's probably best to back up your data first and then proceed at your own risk.

I'd be curious to see if anyone can get the GSM Treo Pro running at 524MHz (the same clock speed as the Sprint version)...
    Quote Originally Posted by ughlogins View Post
    Is there any way to overclock Treo Pro? Forgive me if this was asked prior, but google wasn't being very helpful.

Thanks!
    In the meantime, until a OC option is available, you may want to try SpeedBoost.

Very unique app that allows you to set higher-CPU priority for specific apps. So it doesn't overclock but it will dedicate more CPU cycles to any program that you think needs more power.

It works quite well, has no side-effects and is quite stable imo.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Hey Hockey, I've been keeping an eye on that myself. But it's the Touch Pro they've been working with, not the Touch Pro 2 from what I've read.

No2chem, the developer of the hack usually has a Sprint Touch Pro (CDMA), but he mentions both the GSM and CDMA Touch Pros are capable of being overclocked to some degree. (He mentions here he's testing with a CDMA Touch Pro.) Since the Touch Pro, Touch Pro 2 and Treo Pro all have a similar chip, all 3 devices might be able to share the same hack. However, you recall that No2chem's underclocking hack worked on the CDMA Treo Pro, but didn't work on your GSM Treo Pro. The CDMA Touch Pro and CDMA Treo Pro use the exact same chip.
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    you can overclock phones?

sry but what exactly is overclocking and what does it do?
    Quote Originally Posted by Koontzy View Post
    you can overclock phones?

sry but what exactly is overclocking and what does it do?
    You can overclock computer chips in smart phones.

This site can help you with your questions.
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    Doesnt overclock kills the battery?

Are you trying to play games on it?
    Dell x51v → Motorola Q (Verizon) → Mogul → 800w → Treo Pro → Touch Pro 2 (SERO) → HTC EVO 3D → HTC EVO 4G LTE → HTC One S → Nexus 4
    Quote Originally Posted by chong67 View Post
    Yeah, usually it drains the battery faster and heats up the device.

Some people try to do "smart" overclocking--only apply the OCing to specific apps, and then underclock others to balance it off.

It has its purposes, though I think with the next-gen 1ghz processors, it will hopefully be not needed. It usually leads to device instability if not monitored.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter

When you are usually on a charger like me, battery life is not a big concern. Remember, I'm one who had no problem with the Treo 800w's battery life .

Not using the device for games, but you never know . (There is plenty I do that can press a device, more than just games can if you multitask enough. Most Touch Pro folks I've chatted with who have heat issues are doing everything except games .)

As No2chem mentioned on his site, the actual ability of a single CPU varies. They test certain chips on a wafer, to see if they perform at 528 when that is the target, but there are often chips on the wafer that perform even better. So it's all a matter of trial and error. Got to be very careful though. ("Error" could even include trashing the CPU and making the device a nice paper weight.) Some people are seeing they can use theirs at near 800 for a little while and others are finding they can't even get close to 800 at all. I'm not even trying it yet. I'm going to wait to see what might be an average safe point and No2chem has mentioned he's trying to make something that would not go beyond a point that would be safe for most of us. For now, I'm just enjoying watching. And I've still got my ice pack, which I could put into use again if I felt the need .

I've always felt, if you "really" feel your CPU is not fast enough you probably need a better CPU more than a need to overclock. I just feel that way because of the risks involved in overclocking. But a little done carefully can sometimes offer a bit of benefit. I don't always seek to overclock, it's something I do sparingly at best. I might opt to not even overclock my device at all.
    Interesting post by No2chem: Why we canít do ~600MHz yet

I would think it kiils the battery AND the warranty. Can it be detected that you've done this if you ended up bricking the phone?
    Quote Originally Posted by dknight247 View Post
    I would think it kiils the battery AND the warranty.
    Running the processor faster does use more battery power.

You might be surprised to know, that it has been said that even manual registry edits void the warranty, if it's known you did it.

Can it be detected that you've done this if you ended up bricking the phone?
    If you brick the device by doing something like burning out the processor, I don't think they'll be able to turn on the processor again to make any determination. They may have "suspicions", but unless you tell them, it may be hard for them to prove definitively. (Assuming you'd attempt something you probably should not try, like trying to get a warranty swap for a device you know you bricked yourself. Not saying you'd ever do something like that, but just within the context of your question.)
    Now there is the unlikely event, that they swap the processor and nothing else is damaged, turn the device on without bothering to hard reset and say "well look what we have here..." (Given the software used to overclock would likely still be on the device.)
    anything new on this? Would be great to have smart clocking to save battery life and also to overclock when plugged in for better multi-tasking. I was playing around with OmapScaler but looks like it has a 300 MHz limit - not so sure it works on our proc. XCPUScalar doesn't work (but it did on the 800W).

What about BatteryStatus?
    So I should have read more about nueClockControl first since it allows for underclocking the device. I have tested it out and it definately appears to do the trick. Should be interesting once the higher multiplier (8) is unlocked!

Would be interested maybe in putting together a simple mortscript to simulate a turbo button so you can run the faster clock rate only when you need it and slower when you are sitting idle or performing very basic functions. I accidentally set mine to 20 Mhz., since the screen gets cut off - it was extremely slow but still responsive.

Quote Originally Posted by we350z View Post
    anything new on this? Would be great to have smart clocking to save battery life and also to overclock when plugged in for better multi-tasking. I was playing around with OmapScaler but looks like it has a 300 MHz limit - not so sure it works on our proc. XCPUScalar doesn't work (but it did on the 800W).

What about BatteryStatus?
    still nothing
    Last edited by we350z; 01/05/2010 at 10:55 PM.
    This website's review of the pro says that it's made with a processor that's designed for a higher clock so as long as you can overclock to that speed, then it should be stable and safe, imo.

pocketpcdubai.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=589alm-treo-pro-review&catid=20:hardware&Itemid=197]Palm Treo Pro Review
    This website's review of the pro says that it's made with a processor that's designed for a higher clock so as long as you can overclock to that speed, then it should be stable and safe, imo.

pocketpcdubai.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=589: palm-treo-pro-review&catid=20:hardware&Itemid=197

I'm forced to split up that link into two parts due to my lack of 10 posts thus far at this forum. Just copy and paste and move the : and p together.
    Has anyone ever tried Pocket Hack Master for over clocking?
    handheld.softpedia.com/get/Tweaks/Pocket-Hack-Master-2006-5051.shtml
    Quote Originally Posted by Wizardknight View Post
    Has anyone ever tried Pocket Hack Master for over clocking?
    handheld.softpedia.com/get/Tweaks/Pocket-Hack-Master-2006-5051.shtml
    According to this webpage, this software is compatible with the Treo Pro. I'll try to experiment with it shortly and report back any results...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast