Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    Anybody have definitive info on whether or not it's bad to use a Blackberry case (with the magnet to put the BB to sleep when holstered) for a non-BB phone such as a Treo Pro?

Some at Best Buy strongly discouraged me from this, since he's heard some horror stories about this magnet wreaking havoc on the phone software.
    I have used a Blackberry case designed, I think, for an 8830, for my Treo 800 and now my Treo Pro for about a year now with no negative side effects.

About worn out though, so fixin to look for another one.
    Plenty of cases for all sorts of devices, even generic cases, have magnets. Thinking back, when I had Treos most of the cases I used had magnets, because I prefer it over velcro.

The case I'm using for my Touch Pro has a magnet.

If the case fits use it.
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    I wondered about that, with all the flip cases w/ magnet closures. I thought maybe the BB magnet is stronger and/or comes in closer contact w/the phone while in the case.

I chatted w/a Palm tech and asked this same question, and he told me something about radiations from the magnet interfering w/radiations from the device (whatever the hell that means) & that not being good, so while they don't necessarily think it would be harmful they don't recommend it.
    If I worked for Palm, I would not advise you to buy anything made by a competitor either .

I might even use scare tactics to convince you.
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    If I worked for Palm, I would not advise you to buy anything made by a competitor either .

I might even use scare tactics to convince you.
    Don't tase me, bro!!
    Quote Originally Posted by jsraaf View Post
    I wondered about that, with all the flip cases w/ magnet closures. I thought maybe the BB magnet is stronger and/or comes in closer contact w/the phone while in the case.

I chatted w/a Palm tech and asked this same question, and he told me something about radiations from the magnet interfering w/radiations from the device (whatever the hell that means) & that not being good, so while they don't necessarily think it would be harmful they don't recommend it.
    That's ridiculous. If that were true, you would constantly hear of people who've used cases that had magnetic snaps of erasing their phones. What about those big Gucci and Coach purses with the huge magnetic snaps on them? Surely, a lot of women's cell phones would've been wiped out by now, right?

Magnets don't affect flash memory, which is what's found in most typical smartphones. Now, laptops which have ferromagnetic-based hard drives -- yes, magnets will affect those. But your Treo Pro should be fairly safe from any magnetic fields.
    I'm still wondering where the radiation is in my BB case . Did RIM put an electromagnet in the case ?