Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    My son told me that in South Carolina Sprint store he inquired about the Treo Pro and was told that the Pre replaced the Treo Pro. Since it's a new store, he thought the rep didn't know what she was talking about. So yesterday while in Best Buy I noticed there was no Treo Pro and the Best Buy rep told me that it was discontinued. He said unlike the Centro (also discontinued but still stocked) Best Buy had recalled all Treo Pro's back to the warehouse.

I'm not a frequent reader of this forum, but more than occasional, so did I just miss any discussion of the Treo Pro being discontinued? Isn't this a really short shelf-life, even for Palm/Sprint? I actually had a Treo Pro in April but returned and have recently thought about giving it another try.
    John 3:16
    Quote Originally Posted by wheresmy600 View Post
    My son told me that in South Carolina Sprint store he inquired about the Treo Pro and was told that the Pre replaced the Treo Pro. Since it's a new store, he thought the rep didn't know what she was talking about. So yesterday while in Best Buy I noticed there was no Treo Pro and the Best Buy rep told me that it was discontinued. He said unlike the Centro (also discontinued but still stocked) Best Buy had recalled all Treo Pro's back to the warehouse.
    Maybe there was a bad batch. Or maybe the Treo Pro doesn't sell as well down there. Or maybe some people don't have any idea why they're not in those stores. The Treo Pro is available when I put in my zip code on the Sprint website. So Sprint isn't discontinuing carrying it. But it may be more readily available online or at stores other than the two you tried.
  3.    #3  
    oh yeah, I did mean to add that when I went on the sprint web site (D.C. metro area zip code) it is not listed. The Best Buy store I referenced is also D.C. metro area.
    John 3:16
    oh yeah, I did mean to add that when I went on the sprint web site (D.C. metro area zip code) it is not listed. The Best Buy store I referenced is also D.C. metro area.
    I'm in Baltimore & it shows up, here. I selected the PDA/Smartphone category. The list begins with the Pre, then several other phones & a group of Blackberry models. The Treo Pro is further down the list, but it's there. Now, I did go in as a new customer, which might make a difference (?).
    Sprint Treo Pros are also turning up really cheap on ebay -- much cheaper than GSM.
    He said unlike the Centro (also discontinued but still stocked) Best Buy had recalled all Treo Pro's back to the warehouse.
    Sprint and Palm shipped the early Treo Pros with bad firmware. When Sprint/Palm tried to do a recall of the faulty models, Best Buy being so customer friendly ignored it and sold them anyway.
    Palm/Sprint Recalled the CDMA version that was to be Released,
    but Best Buy for some reason didn't listen/hear/understand that they were supposed to send the stock they had back.
    But instead, they started selling these Recalled/Defective/Needed to be fixed Sprint Treo Pros.
    They were soon removed from the authorized retailer list.
    Sprint and Palm just aren't giving Best Buy first shot at restocks.
    Global Posts
    485 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevets View Post
    Sprint and Palm just aren't giving Best Buy first shot at restocks.
    And I wonder why...

Quote Originally Posted by Kevets View Post
    Sprint and Palm shipped the early Treo Pros with bad firmware. When Sprint/Palm tried to do a recall of the faulty models, Best Buy being so customer friendly ignored it and sold them anyway.
    That was with the 1.03 firmware, most of those were sold on EBay. There's a flash here for the final 1.04 firmware from Sprint.
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

I also asked about the Treo Pro in my local Dallas, TX Best Buy. I was told that Sprint was still selling the Treo Pro, but Best Buy had decided to replace it with the Pre. When I checked sprint.com I did see the Treo Pro listed.
    I would think that BB has their own discretion as to which products they offer, and if the Treo Pro isn't selling well, they should pull it. In Sprint's case it doesn't make sense to pull this phone and replace it with the Pre. The Pre is webOS, the Pro is WinMo. Two different types of consumers I would think.

I'm not a frequent reader of this forum, but more than occasional, so did I just miss any discussion of the Treo Pro being discontinued? Isn't this a really short shelf-life, even for Palm/Sprint? I actually had a Treo Pro in April but returned and have recently thought about giving it another try.
    Sounds odd. My contact at my local BBY hasn't heard of any such recall. Coming from a 3 yr old 700Wx to the Pro was God-send for me, also considering i got it for 175 brand new too.

Anyway, phones come and go. I am definitely enjoying my Pro...more especially with WMWifirouter, and iPod Touch and a netbook on the go.
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    I have an HTC Touch right now but was considering the Treo Pro when this one dies, so I am hopeing they don't discontinue it, but that makes no sence to me considering the problems with the pre for the people who need a real PDA.
    Terry
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    I was looking for a Treo Pro a few weeks ago and found that none of the BB stores I've been to in NY (most of the manhattan stores and a few of the long island stores) had it, I was told that they were discontinuing it. Doing alittle research online, I thought I read that some people postulated that the HTC snap overlapped too much with the pro, and that they felt most buyers would opt to spend 100$ less on the snap than go with the pro, thus they stopped selling it.

I ended up getting mine from sprint telesales, no word of discontinuing it there...
    If I remember right the Snap does not have touchscreen. So they can't overlap. Plus it is Palm phone so that would be up to Palm, not HTC.
    This thread probably should have "Sprint" in the title.

If SPRINT decides the HTC Snap is too much like the Treo Pro, then they might be planning to stop selling the Treo Pro, that's up to Sprint. And I guess we'd need to wait and see. I see the Treo Pro when I look on Sprint's site.
    Quote Originally Posted by caseyne View Post
    If I remember right the Snap does not have touchscreen. So they can't overlap. Plus it is Palm phone so that would be up to Palm, not HTC.
    You & I know that, as do most of the people in these forums. But the average buyer probably hasn't experienced the benefits of having both a good keyboard & a touchscreen. The difference may not be as obvious to someone who hasn't had a smartphone before & is moving up -- what they're used to doesn't have a touchscreen, either. In short, we've gotten spoiled.
    Just tried the Bestbuy site -- both with my zip & a DC zip. When you go to the phones offered by Sprint with a contract there are 6 or so shown, including the Pre & an option to see all available Sprint phones. That takes you to a long list that (toward the end, after the Snap) does include the Treo Pro. The list seems in no particular order as to manufacturer or type of device -- laptop cards are thrown in the middle of phones. Not exactly what you'd call highlighted, but it is there. Sales may have slowed enough where they don't want to stock it in the stores, but there's enough demand to keep it available online.
    Quote Originally Posted by kraski View Post
    Just tried the Bestbuy site -- both with my zip & a DC zip. When you go to the phones offered by Sprint with a contract there are 6 or so shown, including the Pre & an option to see all available Sprint phones. That takes you to a long list that (toward the end, after the Snap) does include the Treo Pro. The list seems in no particular order as to manufacturer or type of device -- laptop cards are thrown in the middle of phones. Not exactly what you'd call highlighted, but it is there. Sales may have slowed enough where they don't want to stock it in the stores, but there's enough demand to keep it available online.
    That's exactly how it went with the 800w when it was heading to EOL.

So it may mean that they are not buying any more from Palm and just trying to clear out the stock that is in their warehouse.
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    That's exactly how it went with the 800w when it was heading to EOL.

So it may mean that they are not buying any more from Palm and just trying to clear out the stock that is in their warehouse.
    At a $150 price, could be. The GSM unlocked version is still $400.
    Just bought a Treo Pro at my local St. Louis Best Buy last week. I had to have the regional manager place an order for it since they aren't stocking the Pro. Was told they (probably from Sprint's direction) didn't want the Pro interfering with the Pre sales as the Pro was pulled from Best Buy in the end of the 1st Qtr. So, you can still get it through BB which is a good deal since they don't screw with mail in rebate stuff. They are also selling the unlocked version but around $500.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast