Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by chstroup View Post
    Just bought a Treo Pro at my local St. Louis Best Buy last week. I had to have the regional manager place an order for it since they aren't stocking the Pro. Was told they (probably from Sprint's direction) didn't want the Pro interfering with the Pre sales as the Pro was pulled from Best Buy in the end of the 1st Qtr.
    They didn't start selling the "authorized" Sprint Treo Pro till March 15th. So if they pulled it end of Q1, how long did they actually sell it? 2 weeks? I think it was there longer than that. Maybe they pulled it end of Q2? The Pre went on sale in June. Which is still pretty lame, since it would mean they only sold the device front and center a little more than a quarter.

It's August and Palm still has not announced another Treo. I really do beleive the Treo Pro is the last of the Treo era. If they make another "Treo", I suspect it will have WebOS and probably will have a different name, just the Treo form factor.
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    It's August and Palm still has not announced another Treo. I really do beleive the Treo Pro is the last of the Treo era. If they make another "Treo", I suspect it will have WebOS and probably will have a different name, just the Treo form factor.
    That would be a bit surprising considering how WM was an important mix for them. But considering the 800 and pro, I could see them abandoning the WM treo line...
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    I have the Pre and I like it but its not a Treo replacement IMHO I guess I will wait and see but I hope palm keeps the Treo line & windows mobile around as far as a web-os device with a Treo form factor I could see that but I would perfer it to be more HTC TOUCH PRO II style
    I'd actually like to see WM on a Pre form factor...
    I actually don't like the Pre form factor. Putting a qwerty keyboard width-wise isn't reasonable. It forces the keys to be small and tightly packed. Putting it length-wise renders a much user friendly keypad. The Pro and Blackberries have no choice because of the screen on the top. According to Palm, Pre did a vertical slide just to be different. Well, it's different, but not in a good way, IMHO.

I also don't really like its all over roundish shape. It don't know how to put it, but it reminds me of the 1996 model year Ford Taurus, you know, the one with the oval theme and looked like a flounder from the front end.
    The vertical qwerty orientation allows it to be used one-handed. The denser key layout means less lateral travel between keys, enabling faster typing. I could actually type faster on the Centro than my current Treo Pro or my previous POS Treos.

But one week with the Pre convinced me that even vertical sliders are no match for the efficiency of front-facing keyboards and directional pads, which is half the reason I went back to the Treo Pro. For my money, having to slide or flip open a keyboard just to use it always feels like an awkward, superfluous gesture.
    In my search for any prospects of a future Windows Mobile Treo, I scanned the last Palm investor conference call and noticed this dodge by Rubinstein when asked straight up.

From: Palm F4Q09 (Qtr End 5/29/09) Earnings Call Transcript - page 9. (Transcript is from Seeking Alpha and they have a 400 word copy limit.)

James Faucette - Pacific Crest Securities

Thank you very much. I wanted to, I guess, Jon, parse a comment that you made a couple of times that on the Pre that you had seen initially strong and growing demand and I just wanted to get a little bit of color as to what’s characterizing in your mind growing demand for the product, especially since it did seem to have such a strong start? Are you seeing even improving sell-through as availability improves?

And then I guess I also wanted to ask how we should think about the Windows Mobile product lineup going forward. Is that something that we should continue to expect to be refreshed? I know you are not talking specifically about products but I’m just wondering about [inaudible] the Windows Mobile platform.

Jonathan J. Rubinstein

Let me do your second one first, and that’s we’re not talking about future products. The Treo Pro we think is one of the best Win Mo 6.1 products out there. It’s -- people really, really like it and you know, it continues to sell, so we’re pretty happy with that.
    This was just before Rubinstein became CEO.

In the conference call the quarter before that, they had no problem announcing the Treo Pro was going to be carried by a major US carrier, which happened to be Sprint.

Earlier in the 5/29 call Rubinstein said:
    Overall, I couldn’t be more pleased with the progress we are making but we’ve still got work to do to complete our transformation and roll out future products.
    So they've got some future products lined up.

Also during the 5/29 call Doug Jeffries said (This was shortly before Rubinstein's dodge when asked about WM.)
    Edward Snyder - Charter Equity Research

Can you tell me what is limiting the release of more Web OS enabled phones? Is it working capital? Is it R&D? Is it just carrier relationships? So we can kind of key on the one metric to watch to see how this channel opens up for Palm?

Douglas C. Jeffries

We have a brand new OS, a brand new product, and brand new services and what we want to do is make sure that the customers are really happy. That’s our primary objective and we really want to delight them. And so as a company, we are approaching this methodically and working our way through, and you will see us continue the roll out of Pre and continue the roll out of future products and we’ve got this great over-the-air update mechanism, which allows us to roll out new features and fix any issues we have. You know, it’s all going according to the plan we put in place a couple of years ago and so we’re pretty happy with things.
    No problem talking about future products being in the works when talking about webOS.

Rubinstein did turn down answering a question about the Palm App catalog, again saying he was not going to discuss future products. That was after the question about WM.

It just seems they were more open to discussion when it was about things involving the future with webOS, but when it came to WM Rubinstein seemed to suddenly shut the door on talk of the future regarding anything.

I'm really getting the feeling there is no future in the works between Palm and MS.
    No problem talking about future products being in the works when talking about webOS.

Rubinstein did turn down answering a question about the Palm App catalog, again saying he was not going to discuss future products. That was after the question about WM.

It just seems they were more open to discussion when it was about things involving the future with webOS, but when it came to WM Rubinstein seemed to suddenly shut the door on talk of the future regarding anything.

I'm really getting the feeling there is no future in the works between Palm and MS.
    I don't see anything to be concerned about in that exchange... they don't control the Windows OS... they are more than likely attempting to get another webos device out and don't have the resources to get another windows device out... or they could be making something for win 6.5... or... or... or... whatever... could be an entire host of things. Could be they have no plans to ever make a winmob phone again. Who knows.

Not to mention palm has no control over what another company might release in the winmob world... could be palm gets a direct competitor that does the form factor better than palm... who knows...

Personally, I doubt if the pro was their last winmob phone. I'm not sure the sales numbers, but I'd guess the palm pro is not doing badly. I'd not get another pro though...
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Sure another company could come along and make a device similar to the Treo. But the "Treo" is Palm's. There is no indication at all, not even a hint, that Palm is going to make another WM Treo.
    Didn't think the finger movement would impact typing speed that much. On the other hand, he started from the horizontal slider. Could it be that repeated practice contributed to the enhanced speed in the end? Notice his speed showed a consistent trend of increase.

Also, blackberry was conspicuously missing.
    Quote Originally Posted by cfong View Post
    Didn't think the finger movement would impact typing speed that much. On the other hand, he started from the horizontal slider. Could it be that repeated practice contributed to the enhanced speed in the end? Notice his speed showed a consistent trend of increase.

Also, blackberry was conspicuously missing.
    I always like to post that one with no comment, just to see others offer their take .

I think it totally comes down to personal preference.

I have found I adjust to whatever the input interface is. Last time I had a real "problem" with one was back during the Graffiti days. But by the time the Treo 300 came out I missed Graffiti for a little bit, just a little . (Graffiti definetly took the longest for me to get used to, but I ended up using it so long that I was slightly brainwashed into enjoying it . Out of all the input methods I've used on a smart phone or PDA, Graffiti is the one I'd just never want to ever use again. All the others I've used are varied forms of Qwerty keyboard and I don't have a problem with any of them now.)
    But the "Treo" is Palm's.
    Well, part Palm... part HTC.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12