1.    #1  
    I'm trying this solely for the push gmail, but it seems to be a very sluggish program.

Does it also suck your battery? it seems to do that (I mean, does it suck your battery more than other push email solutions?)
    On my 800W it ran ok on everything except emails with large file attachments - it slowed up a bit and the same with the Touch Pro. When doing regular emails, I do not notice a slow down. However, Gmail's IMAP implimentation is not the best, as a result I forward it to my Everyone.net account and it does better. As for sucking the battery - I do not believe there are any other real PUSH applications out there. I use it throughout the work day and charge the device when in the car. I get bunches of email, many with attachments and occasionally I open those up. During times that I loose connection to the server (I am in some seriously signal handicapped areas at time), it does take a bit of time to reestablish contact with the server and restart the sync process - when that happens battery life does suffer. Am I happy with the application? yes.
  3.    #3  
    I have decided tovgive up on winmo email and moved to the blackberry. I just got one and was immediately struck by how much better the keyboard is and the battery life is astounding despite the push email. I am pounding this thing with 40 emails and doong whatever and I have only used half of the battery. I am at full brightness. I am still drawn like a moth to. A flame with regards to the customizability of the winmo os. But as it relates to this post, I am unable to find an even approximate equivalent to the email capabilitirs of the blackberry. I think that it is relevant to add that my plan with a bb doesn't cost any more. Otherwise the proper comparison would be with a hosted exchange server, but even then the zen of bb would likely not be duplicated.