Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    I've been having some issues with my Pro, so i'm going to do a hard reset and just start over. I was curious about skipping the carrier customization that happens after a hard reset. Has anyone skipped that? Does it affect how the phone will function?

I'm tempted to try it, but i don't want to risk my phone. Both of my backup phones are currently being used by a couple friends after an incident involving too much beer and a pool.
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    I decided to try skipping the customization by popping the battery out for a minute right when that screen came up. When i put the battery back in the phone just started customizations again like normal. I guess Palm doesn't want anyone skipping anything.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    What you may wanna try is the following:

- Hard reset the phone.
    - During the reboot phase, there will be a green splash screen (Win 6.1). Right after that screen there should be a Treo themed screen... at that very moment, SOFT reset the phone by pressing the reset button.

Doing the previous steps in another WinMO phone (ATT Tilt) does remove the extra bloatware ATT delivers. In the Treo case there is a chance it will work... however you will loose the tunning that Palm did with the phone, i.e. shortcuts using the keyboard. To have those installed again you will need to browse through the ROM and get the correct CABs to install only the stuff you want.

Perhaps a visit to XDA developers forum will give you better results in finding out what CABs are required after bypassing the carrier phase...
    Ode to the Treo Pro: you had to look so good, you had to be HTC in disguise...
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    Thank you for the suggestion. I'll try that. I'm still tweaking and setting up the phone again, trying out new programs and stuff. I know that i'm bound to get some kind of compatability issue eventually that will most likely require a hard reset again, so i'll try what you suggested then. Thanks.
    Global Posts
    234 Global Posts
    please post and let us know if it worked. I'm curious, also. I would love to get rid of that stupid bloatware. Tons of stuff I don't use.

Thanks
    K--
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    No luck. I just tried what Waldo15 sugested, but when phone started back up it just went right back to the palm themed screen and loaded up customizations. I tried a couple more times, but same result.

Oh well, it was worth a try.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Hmmm... have you checked XDA forums?
    Ode to the Treo Pro: you had to look so good, you had to be HTC in disguise...
    *bump* I too amy very interested in doing this, since custom roms look to be a little ways out..Thanks!
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    I haven't been to xda yet, will check them out tomorrow. I can't access very many sites at work and my home internet is down, router died. But as soon as i know or can try other suggestions from xda i will post my results.
    It's been a while and I really can't remember if I was using my Touch Pro or my Treo Pro at the time, so I apologize in advance if I waste anybody's time, but actually following Waldo15's response about software resetting, but doing it three times worked for me. I really, really could not see how doing it more than once would really make a difference, but it DID. Again, just before the customizations start (and if you see those you're too late) hit reset. Then do the exact same thing 2 more times (at least).

Again though, this may have been what I did on my Touch Pro, I just can't remember sorry. And if it was my Touch, then I would only have tried it early on because I used custom ROMs shortly afterwards.
    You are always in the s*** -it's just a matter of how deep