1.    #1  
    Does anyone know of a hack to turn off the screen during calls?

I am phone power user and need to get as much battery life out of this phone as possible.
    I don't know anyother way than to have a proximity sensor, like the Pre. Your best bet is to get an extra capacity battery if you talk a lot on the Pro.
  3.    #3  
    Sure a proximity sensor would be nice, but I wouldn't think necessary.

When you are on a call, the screen auto dims after 30 seconds or so, surely a hack could dim it to black.

BTW, already have a 3500mah battery ... need as much talk time as possible.
    well... what I do is to start the call, switch to the today screen and then use SPB Pocket Plus to turn the screen off. A bit unwieldy I admit, but for long calls it might be worth it.
    yep.
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    just unlock the screen, press Option+P and adjust it from there. Its not perfect, but it does the job...
    Last edited by malibu23; 07/14/2009 at 01:23 PM. Reason: error in message
    Just out of curiosity who are you guys calling that the calls take so long, maybe I don't have a life and don't get much calls only to pay bills!
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by chestvrg View Post
    Just out of curiosity who are you guys calling that the calls take so long, maybe I don't have a life and don't get much calls only to pay bills!
    @ Chester ... my business is executive search and I spend 6000+ minutes a month on the phone FOR WORK ... and I use my cell phone exclusively.
  8.    #8  
    Started using Black Me from ... www . flytrap.it ... have set one of the application keys to engage the program. Seems to work OK, need to to do some testing to see if this program running in the background helps or hurts the battery life.

Seriously, someone has to know of way to .cab the settings to make this work automatically. Sort of how Black Me works.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Quote Originally Posted by malibu23 View Post
    just unlock the screen, press alt+P and adjust it from there. Its not perfect, but it does the job...
    alt+P? What does this do and how do you do it?

When ever I press alt on my Sprint TP it brings the special char menu and the p brings me to the % sign.
    Have a great one...Doc D.

Phillips VELO > Palm III > Palm V > Palm 505m > Treo 180 > Treo 300 > Samsung i500 > Treo 700p > HTC 6800 > Treo 800w > Treo Pro > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoNewt View Post
    alt+P? What does this do and how do you do it?

When ever I press alt on my Sprint TP it brings the special char menu and the p brings me to the % sign.
    im sorry not alt, the option White button) + P.
    it brings up the screen brightness level screen.
    secant,

Use Iconsoft PhoneEx v1.4.5. It is an excellent app.
    It has this feature that you are looking for; turn off LCD screen automatically when your call is connected, either way calling or receiving.
    Global Posts
    150 Global Posts
    S2U2 has an option to blank screen automatically at start of a call.

(I tried Iconsoft Phonex, and was very disappointed with the loss of smartdial from the qwerty keyboard- it only allows smartdial from a keypad- that is pressing 2 brings up a, b or c from smartdial- instead of the corresponding r from the qwerty.
    Disppointing- I uninstalled it immediately.
    I also didn't like their offer of the app for free if you:

Post 5 new topics on the subject of Iconsoft PhonEx on Internet forums dedicated to the relevant subject, with a link to Iconsoft
    or
    Post 1 video on YouTube, telling of the advantages of the Iconsoft PhonEx + 2 new topics on forums dedicated to the relevant subject, with a link to Iconsoft
    or
    Publish positive article on a resource dedicated to the relevant subject, with a link to Iconsoft

pretty much PAYOLA, if you ask me-)

Mark
  13.    #13  
    @ marksr --- I took a look at the application S2U2 ... if you read the release notes in the downloaded .zip file, it requires that the user not use (uncheck) many different plugins or the program will use too much power and eat up the battery. This defeats the purpose of saving power ... or one must sacrifice the usability of the device.

OK ... anyone got a solution that works? So far 'Black Me' is working pretty well ... but I can't help but think that someone could .cab a fix.
    There used to be an app called screenoff that I used to do this and set it up to activate from a hotkey. Like pushing side button, etc... I wonder why the top button does not work, but I agree, make the call, turn the screen off, press a button to turn it back on.
  15.    #15  
    @ darylrue --- Thanks for the suggestion ... the app ScreenOff still exists and is a nice little app.

Unless a .cab solution is found either 'Black Me' or ScreenOff will work OK.

Here are the pros/cons.

Both are applications and can be programmed with the app buttons or a hot key.

The real difference is in how each is 'awakened'.

Black Me requires that you push the center of the D-Pad and then quit the application with a soft key ... so a two step process. Also Black Me kills all buttons which can be either good or bad depending on your needs.

ScreenOff will come alive with the push of any key or when you receive a notification ... so a one step process. But if have the phone in your pocket during a call the screen could be activated by an accidental button push.

Probably will use ScreenOff in the office and Black Me when I am on the road and could accidentally push a button.

Any other suggestions?
    my cheek alwasys turns off all data lol and kills the call