1.    #1  
    I did not like Kinoma Play taking over all my media files. I use it to view Youtube and flvs, but I prefer wm media player for mp3s and the default picture viewer for images. So I used file explorer extension to change the file association for mp3s and jpgs/gifs and I am now experiencing a weird issue:

My Sounds and Notifications will not play mp3s. It will play MIDIs fine. When I go to manage, add a new mp3, it does not play it. It won't play the default notification mp3s that came with the device either. In other words, I know it's not the card. I decided to completely uninstall Kinoma. Oddly, even though Media Player is associated to automatically play mp3s, the icons for mp3s are not Media Player but just default windows system.

Anyone else experience this problem? I would like to be able to tweak or registry edit to change this back so Sounds and Notifications will recognize mp3s again without having to do a friggen hard reset. But I suppose I will if there is no other way.
    ...in the game of thrones, you win or you die.
  2.    #2  
    Nevermind, I figured it out. Appears Konoma changed the stringvalue for mp3 to mp3file in the registry. Konoma will recognize it (obviously), but Windows Mobile will not. Even if you use a file explorer extension to associate the file with Windows Media Player, the file may open Media Player and play, but the file is still not recognized by Windows Mobile and will not play in Sounds and Notifications.

Solution:

Open a registry editor, open HKCR, find mp3 and change the string value in default from mp3file to wmafile and voila issue resolved. Also did this for mp3drm for DRM'd mp3s. Windows Mobile now recognizes .mp3 and Sounds and Notifications will play it.
    Last edited by pulse; 07/09/2009 at 12:39 PM.
    ...in the game of thrones, you win or you die.
    Quote Originally Posted by pulse View Post
    I did not like Kinoma Play taking over all my media files. I use it to view Youtube and flvs, but I prefer wm media player for mp3s and the default picture viewer for images.
    Have you tried Kinoma Play's Advanced Settings app?

It lets you control what file types are associated with Kinoma Play, what folders Kinoma Play scans, how the Close button behaves, and more.

-- Charles Wiltgen
    Kinoma Notes blog | Subscribe to blog (email) | Subscribe to blog (RSS) | Follow Kinoma for news/content alerts | Follow KinomaTips for tips/tricks
    lt me guess that feature is only on the pay version right?

---sorry my first post was to jump in here---
    Yeah seriously you trying to sell him the pay version ?

This program reminds me of how different M$ products takes things over without asking.

Later
    You know, I find that outright offensive that there's no straightforward way in FreePlay to control file associations. Then to have the gall to have a "fix" for it only if you buy the full version? Get outta here with that. I believe there's a fix using Resco explorer.
    I have the same problem no calendar reminder notifications. I did the above and still no sound for calendar reminders.

I use pocketplayer as media player and have made it the default and it worked for a little while until a soft reset was done and then no sound again.

Any other tips for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by pulse View Post
    Solution:

Open a registry editor, open HKCR, find mp3 and change the string value in default from mp3file to wmafile and voila issue resolved. Also did this for mp3drm for DRM'd mp3s. Windows Mobile now recognizes .mp3 and Sounds and Notifications will play it.
    When I go into there i find the file name kp5mp3file instead of mp3file.

It says the following:

content type: audio/mp3
    Default: Pocket Player
    Perceived Type: audio
    PocketPlayerold...: kp5mp3file

I also created a new appointment on my desktop then sync'd and the notification worked. However it doesnt seem to work for reoccurring appointments that were in the outlook 07 calendar prior to getting the device.

Very weird...what are your thoughts on this one?
    Quote Originally Posted by isthegeek View Post
    When I go into there i find the file name kp5mp3file instead of mp3file.

It says the following:

content type: audio/mp3
    Default: Pocket Player
    Perceived Type: audio
    PocketPlayerold...: kp5mp3file

I also created a new appointment on my desktop then sync'd and the notification worked. However it doesnt seem to work for reoccurring appointments that were in the outlook 07 calendar prior to getting the device.

Very weird...what are your thoughts on this one?
    Charles?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lancaster View Post
    Charles?
    Hu? Charles?
    Hu? Charles?
    Look at Post #3.

I was assuming Charles would be along to resolve this issue with Kinoma Freeplay.

No sign just yet.
    oh ok sorry about that
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanC1906 View Post
    You know, I find that outright offensive that there's no straightforward way in FreePlay to control file associations.
    Our installer registers the file associations that it handles, as it has to in order to receive certification. It's WinMo that automatically assigns the last-app-installed as the default. (The same thing happens on Windows. Install Foxit Reader and Adobe Reader, and you'll see that the last one you installed is automatically associated with .pdf files.)

File association management has been a well-known "missing feature" of WinMo forever, so any decent file manager -- you mentioned Resco Explorer -- will let you change file associations.

Kinoma FreePlay does far more than many (most?) paid media players, and we're happy to give away such an enormously-capable app, but it's not for everybody. In that case we know you'll find Kinoma Play an incredible value and hope you buy it, and if not we're thankful that you tried FreePlay. WinMo will restore prior file associations when you uninstall.

-- Charles Wiltgen
    Kinoma Notes blog | Subscribe to blog (email) | Subscribe to blog (RSS) | Follow Kinoma for news/content alerts | Follow KinomaTips for tips/tricks
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles@Kinoma View Post
    Our installer registers the file associations that it handles, as it has to in order to receive certification. It's WinMo that automatically assigns the last-app-installed as the default. (The same thing happens on Windows. Install Foxit Reader and Adobe Reader, and you'll see that the last one you installed is automatically associated with .pdf files.)

File association management has been a well-known "missing feature" of WinMo forever, so any decent file manager -- you mentioned Resco Explorer -- will let you change file associations.

Kinoma FreePlay does far more than many (most?) paid media players, and we're happy to give away such an enormously-capable app, but it's not for everybody. In that case we know you'll find Kinoma Play an incredible value and hope you buy it, and if not we're thankful that you tried FreePlay. WinMo will restore prior file associations when you uninstall.

-- Charles Wiltgen
    Charles,

Thank you Charles for you input. I have a question for you. I have pocket player installed for my music etc and installed it after receiving my unit new. It looked to me as if pocket player is properly associated for the media files etc but i could be wrong because im getting the sound notification problem at times now.

What is the Kinoma program for other than media files? Will uninstalling the program entirely have any effect on other program not being able to run? I noticed when I opened wall street journal it said you need to activate Kinoma and so did another program.

What are your thoughts?
    Quote Originally Posted by 00_MACKIE_00 View Post
    Yeah seriously you trying to sell him the pay version ?
    Isn't the OP talking about "Kinoma Play"? ... That's the paid version right there. The freeone is called Kinoma Freeplay. So if I'm right, Charles wasn't trying to "sell" anything to the OP.

I could be wrong though ...
    That said, I will also throw some jabs at Charles, LOL.

I had Kinoma on my 755p and now on my Pro, both full version. Now the questions:

1. Is there a way to make Play the default player? Like for PIE video/audio links? 755p's Kinoma was.

2. How can one download videos in Play? Not as in "save", but as in "pause and wait for it to download a bit so it doesn't buffer later". I like how I could do that in 755p's version. My 3G isn't that fast and its speed varies too much. So it buffers very often.
    Last edited by Cheker; 08/10/2009 at 05:30 PM.
    I have pocket player installed for my music etc and installed it after receiving my unit new. It looked to me as if pocket player is properly associated for the media files etc but i could be wrong because im getting the sound notification problem at times now.
    I'm happy to help if I can, but I'm not familiar with a "sound notification problem" as it relates to Kinoma Play or FreePlay.

What is the Kinoma program for other than media files?
    Kinoma Play and FreePlay register file associations only for media types that they can handle. In the case of FreePlay that would include MP3 and FLV files, and some types of playlist files.

Will uninstalling the program entirely have any effect on other program not being able to run? I noticed when I opened wall street journal it said you need to activate Kinoma and so did another program.
    In general, no. For the Treo Pro specifically, Palm provides two "apps" that require Kinoma FreePlay -- YouTube and The Wall Street Journal. If Kinoma FreePlay is uninstalled, you can get them to work again by installing Kinoma Play or FreePlay (kinoma.com/get).

-- Charles Wiltgen
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheker View Post
    Is there a way to make Play the default player? Like for PIE video/audio links? 755p's Kinoma was.
    Can you give me an example mobile page where you'd expect the browser to hand off a link to Kinoma Play, and it doesn't?

Quote Originally Posted by Cheker View Post
    How can one download videos in Play? Not as in "save", but as in "pause and wait for it to download a bit so it doesn't buffer later".
    Kinoma Play streams in realtime (as needed, vs. as quickly as possible) unless you choose to download.

-- Charles Wiltgen
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles@Kinoma View Post
    I'm happy to help if I can, but I'm not familiar with a "sound notification problem" as it relates to Kinoma Play or FreePlay.

Kinoma Play and FreePlay register file associations only for media types that they can handle. In the case of FreePlay that would include MP3 and FLV files, and some types of playlist files.

In general, no. For the Treo Pro specifically, Palm provides two "apps" that require Kinoma FreePlay -- YouTube and The Wall Street Journal. If Kinoma FreePlay is uninstalled, you can get them to work again by installing Kinoma Play or FreePlay (kinoma.com/get).

-- Charles Wiltgen
    The sound notification problem is what the thread was originally started for and I guess was somewhat blamed on this kinoma play program that comes preinstalled in our phones.

Thanks much for all the clarification.
    Is.