1.    #1  
    Hello everyone I just tried to use my windows update function on my phone and it doesn't seem to work is there something that I could be doing wrong here?
    There are no Windows Updates, and I don't think there will be any in the near future.
    Has there "ever" been an actual update that came via the Windows Update app on WM devices? Every update I've seen in my year with WM devices had to be downloaded manually. Even the old WM e-mail fix.
    Global Posts
    221 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by calvinc68 View Post
    Hello everyone I just tried to use my windows update function on my phone and it doesn't seem to work is there something that I could be doing wrong here?
    I read someone once best describe the Windows Update function in Windows Mobile as "abandonware."
    I don't think I've ever seen it in any WM 6.5 build I've used.
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    There is never an update. You mean like on the PC where you get update every so often?

No, you will never see that by Microsoft.
    Dell x51v → Motorola Q (Verizon) → Mogul → 800w → Treo Pro → Touch Pro 2 (SERO) → HTC EVO 3D → HTC EVO 4G LTE → HTC One S → Nexus 4
    Quote Originally Posted by sansnil View Post
    I read someone once best describe the Windows Update function in Windows Mobile as "abandonware."
    Kind of yes, kind of no.

WM has always had the ability for OTA firmware updates (at least since WM5) but it has rarely been implemented. It can replace single files or whole sections of the ROM.

The Windows Update was too universal for everyone to adopt.

What you'll see now and in the future is a carrier specific version that allows OTA updates, like the Samsung Epix and now the Sprint Snap. This is handled directly by Sprint and the manufacturer and is more realistic.

Unfortunately the Treo Pro misses out on this trend. Why that icon is even there is anyone's guess, but it should be removed asap.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter