Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    Are you bored with your Treo Pro?

I look at the Touch Pro 2 video and I think I may go for it about 1 month later after it comes out.

It is not much of a excitment with the Pro. No cook ROMs and other hack activities.

But Treo Pro had taught me to get use to the fingerprint magnet.

I never like the plastic keypad.
    Dell x51v → Motorola Q (Verizon) → Mogul → 800w → Treo Pro → Touch Pro 2 (SERO) → HTC EVO 3D → HTC EVO 4G LTE → HTC One S → Nexus 4
    This is what happens with treos in general- they get boring so you jump ship. Honeymoon with new phone is great- then after a few weeks the new phone gets old- you realize the same tasks take longer to do and while the new phone might be cooler it is not as efficient and well thought out.

Then you go back to treo with a new appreciation.

That is me anyway...Done it several times. Will do it again.
    That happens with all the phones. I like Treo Pro though I dont have it yet, but I also liked my treo 750 when I got it first - now it runs slower than a snail. I am looking towards a new phone 2 and Touch Pro 2 seems good fit. Anyone knows when is it coming out??
    Cingular Treo 750||ATT WM6 ROM||AT&T Blue SIM||1GB SanDisk Card||
    Quote Originally Posted by chong67 View Post
    I've never really gotten bored with a Treo. I have wished for something other then WinMo... LOL, but that's about it.

As far as the Treo Pro goes, I still love it. It does have some flaws but, all in all, I'm quite happy with it.
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.

I look at the Touch Pro 2 video and I think I may go for it about 1 month later after it comes out.

It is not much of a excitment with the Pro. No cook ROMs and other hack activities.

But Treo Pro had taught me to get use to the fingerprint magnet.

I never like the plastic keypad.
    I think the problem may be the lack of regular updates. These phones are released and updated maybe once (or twice).

No strong move to perfection, we get a release and hope for the best.

The Treo Pro is a great phone, BUT it has some issues (as noted in other threads) that should have been dealt with months ago.

Yea, I'm also looking at the touch pro 2... although, I'm starting to back away from that due to the potential battery life of that device. At first I thought the touch pro 2 would have great bat life due to the large battery, but it seems there are mixed reviews on battery life.

I was only thinking of the touch pro 2 due to the large screen size and large keyboard... sometimes I don't mind the keyboard on the treo pro, other times I don't really care for it... it keys seem too close together, but not so close as to make it a REAL issue (or deal breaker).

One good update could make the treo pro the best wm phone yet....
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001

If you can live with a full touch screen and slider, you'll totally enjoy the Touch Pro 2. Especially if you take well to the new full soft qwerty. (And you can always try some of the other new soft qwerties. Still using SPB Keyboard myself, but might not have purchased it if I had the newer HTC soft qwerty first.) But you had the old Mogul, so it's not totally new territory for you.

I've been using the TP2 version of TF3D on my Touch Pro for months now and I really think you'll enjoy it. ESPECIALLY once you start using WM 6.5. WM 6.5 is very finger friendly and it's at a point now in its pre-release builds where they're really a pleasure to use.
    I'm a dissatisfied with the plastic keypad, wonder why Palm didn't bother to design a professional keyboard on the Treo Pro just like the beautiful keyboard the Blackberry 8900 Javelin has?
    Quote Originally Posted by chestvrg View Post
    I'm a dissatisfied with the plastic keypad, wonder why Palm didn't bother to design a professional keyboard on the Treo Pro just like the beautiful keyboard the Blackberry 8900 Javelin has?
    I think after the success of the Centro, that Palm must have assumed everybody likes little clear buttons. They made them harder on the Treo Pro, probably because of complaints about the gel feel of the Centro keys, but Palm still really didn't "get" that their other Treo keyboards were better.

Here's something the Touch Pro 2 might get via customized ROM if anyone puts in the work to port it, maybe HTC will make their own update for the Touch Pro 2 with it. Maybe with the WM 6.5 update, just speculating. (I'm hoping someone makes a VGA port for us Touch Pro folks . We already got the Manila 2 before the TP 2 was even released. Buy a hacker coffee and they'll do amazing things for you .)
    Well, I can say I am absolutely not bored with my Treo Pro!
    I have found new life ever since I installed Manila 2D on it and it really is an amazing job. Its basically Touch Flo on your Treo Pro and this really gives me the best mix I want. A great form factor with Touch Flo is my mix.

I never really cared for Touch Pros or the Diamond as my brother has the Diamond and I can tell you, IT IS frustrating not having a hardware keyboard.
    Granted, I know the Touch Pros have a keyboard but then when you use the hardware keyboard you have to turn it to landscape mode which just ,akes everything really wide and i absolutely hate it.
    I mean the Diamond 2 and the Touch Pro 2 still have NO 3.5mm jack, which i feel is stupid just the converter plug in.

All in all, my Treo Pro is the best WM phone i have had with minimal problems and love the customization with Manila 2D.

I mean if the Treo Pro was not so popular, why would have anyone ported Manila 2D to work on it and go through all that work?
    Treo Pro Owner! 8)
    Modder, hacker, and App creator!
    I got bored, got a Snap instead ($170 NIB eBay), though I still use the TP/800w on occasion.

Going from one WM Pro device to another is easy. They're all basically the same accept for that Touch Flo eye-candy and form factor. But after awhile you realize they have more in common than differences and you're bored again.

If you want to really change it up but stay in the WinMo universe, go WM Standard for a few weeks! That's a challenge. At first you'll pull your hair out and then you acquiesce to it simplicity and efficiency, lol. It's not better, just different and requires a weeks of learning/re-learning how to do things--great way to tinker. Plus a lot has changed since my Moto Q days.

Plus I didn't realize how washed out and poor the Treo Pro's screen was till I saw the Snap's, which is astonishingly sharp. Too bad the KB is even worse on the Sprint Snap than the Pro (Verizon Ozone is actually quite nice), but one can adapt.

Plus as a phone, Standard can't be beat.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    I have a few devices and when I get bored just esn swap online. Keeps it interesting. I could never have one.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
  12. CDG
    Global Posts
    2,003 Global Posts
    I haven't been bored with a Treo yet. In fact the longest I have ever kept a device was the Treo 750. If the Pro did not have the WiFi and the GPS I would probably still have the 750.
    Please Visit My Other Hangout
    Palm Pilot > Palm IIIxe > Palm Vx > Palm Treo 750 > Palm Treo Pro > BB 9700.
    My Pro does everything I need it to do, so I am not bored at all with it.
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    I got bored, got a Snap instead ($170 NIB eBay), though I still use the TP/800w on occasion.

Going from one WM Pro device to another is easy. They're all basically the same accept for that Touch Flo eye-candy and form factor. But after awhile you realize they have more in common than differences and you're bored again.

If you want to really change it up but stay in the WinMo universe, go WM Standard for a few weeks! That's a challenge. At first you'll pull your hair out and then you acquiesce to it simplicity and efficiency, lol. It's not better, just different and requires a weeks of learning/re-learning how to do things--great way to tinker. Plus a lot has changed since my Moto Q days.

Plus I didn't realize how washed out and poor the Treo Pro's screen was till I saw the Snap's, which is astonishingly sharp. Too bad the KB is even worse on the Sprint Snap than the Pro (Verizon Ozone is actually quite nice), but one can adapt.

Plus as a phone, Standard can't be beat.
    Nice review
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    I had a one week affair with the Pre, and that was enough to get the lust for novelty out of my system. The Pre's limitations made me appreciate the Treo Pro's advantages more than ever:
    • Front-facing qwerty keyboard FTW. I tried to adapt, but I can't stand sliders
    • Memory card expansion (16GB in my case)
    • Large battery options (1650 mAh in my case)
    • OTA downloading of music files
    • Huge amounts of software
    • Full copy-and-paste
    • Tethering capability
    • Vastly greater configurability, both in Settings and registry
    • Full PIM functionality, with categorized Tasks and Notes that can be synced
    • Video recording
    • A strong enough vibrate mode to keep me from missing calls (a frequent occurrence on the Pre)
    • Better media players
    • User's choice of local or OTA sync options
    • Buttons and d-pad controls for navigation rather than gesture-based touch
    • A highly informative Today screen

Be careful what you wish for. Change in itself is not progress. I'm still considering test driving a Touch Diamond 2 for fun, but I suspect the Treo Pro will be my go-to phone for a long time to come.
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    [...]
    I mostly agree. My HTC Dash is still a fond memory 3 phones later. If only WinMo standard had touchscreen...i might still be using it today.
    Just got the phone so still tweaking it.
    Treo 700p--> New to Treo Pro (SERO)
    GO BEARS!!!
    It does all I need.
    Not board at all.
    Just call me Berd.
    I own a Nokia E71, Touch HD and Treo Pro. I'm even testing a TouchDiamond2 for a week now.
    For some reason the Treo Pro is still my favorite device of choice.
    Do really like the Nokia E71 with it's superb standby time. But no good notes program and synching categories makes me moving to WinMo everytime.

Sure the Treo Pro needs some tweaking but it's the best phone for me despite it's software problems. I really hope Palm is not letting us down now they've laid their focus on WebOS.
    I think the Treo Pro ROM needs some serious fixing on some points but all in all it's a great device!
    The OP is not saying the Treo Pro does not meet their needs. But it's rather their wants at the heart of the matter. To be able to toy around with the device even more is what has them bored. The OP used to once have a Mogul and it seems they're getting back that itch to be able to flash ROMs and enjoy all the various apps groups like XDA custom make for devices.

I'm pretty disappointed no usable custom ROM has been made yet and I don't even own a Treo Pro .

Gameboy70, I never had a Pre, so I have some questions and thoughts about your comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by Gameboy70 View Post
    Memory card expansion (16GB in my case)
    This is why to me the Pre is not even on the map. I've got over 8GB in just music files on my 16GB card. Never mind video files and so on... They don't make a large enough card for me to do it yet, but I don't see anything wrong with having my entire music collection at my fingertips via my smart phone using MicroSD. I don't want to have to go OTA to my home machine to access my music either.

Large battery options (1650 mAh in my case)
    Seidio has made 2 for the Pre.

OTA downloading of music files
    The Pre can't? I though it even worked with ITunes (for the moment at least).

Full copy-and-paste
    Huh? Please tell us who don't use the Pre more about that.

Tethering capability
    Are you serious? Does it not even have a means via paying Sprint to do it?

Vastly greater configurability, both in Settings and registry
    But the word was that having something Linux based would open a door to a never ending flood of developer innovations...
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast