1.    #1  
    Haven't really looked around to see if the Treo Pro plays well with Ubuntu 9.0.4.

And the good news... I didn't have to do much digging around!

After turning on ICS, Ubuntu saw the phone as a wired connection (via the STP's USB cable). No special packages or software to install on the Ubuntu machine - which mind you is about 7 years old!

Yeah... I have some laptops where I try to squeeze every ounce out of usability.

Ubuntu renewed our old Dell C600 usefulness. And now with no-brain required tethering with Treo Pro, it is indeed a travel around machine too!
    Palm Vx -> Treo 700p (Death by MR Update to 1.10) -> Treo 755p (Blue) -> Treo Pro with Sapphire Blue Innocase
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    Are you using it with VMware? I am waiting for the next VMware update before installing 9.0.4.

Confused about your tethering part.
    Dell x51v → Motorola Q (Verizon) → Mogul → 800w → Treo Pro → Touch Pro 2 (SERO) → HTC EVO 3D → HTC EVO 4G LTE → HTC One S → Nexus 4
  3.    #3  
    chong,
    No VMware.

Here's the setup:
    Dell Latitude C600 (reformatted drive)
    512 MB of RAM
    PIII
    30 GB Hard Drive
    running Ubuntu 9.0.4

This is all I did:
    1. Using USB cable, connected Treo Pro to Ubuntu laptop
    2. Turned on ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) on STP
    3. Ubuntu laptop detected ICS as a "wired connection" as an "Auto eth1"
    4. I tested by going to Google.com on the Firefox browser on Ubuntu.

That's about it.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 700p (Death by MR Update to 1.10) -> Treo 755p (Blue) -> Treo Pro with Sapphire Blue Innocase
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    Are you paying for your ICS?

I use tethering using Wifirouter using USB. Sometime I use it wireless.

Then I boot up using Ubuntu on VMware on my laptop. Of course I need Vmware and Vista to survive first. Then my Ubuntu can get on the internet.
    Dell x51v → Motorola Q (Verizon) → Mogul → 800w → Treo Pro → Touch Pro 2 (SERO) → HTC EVO 3D → HTC EVO 4G LTE → HTC One S → Nexus 4
    So, are you saying, just turn on ICS on the phone, plug it in to the computer, and Ubuntu will do the rest?

I remember what a pain it was to get the 700wx tethering on my Ubuntu laptop, but if what your saying is true, that would be sweet.
  6.    #6  
    chong, I am paying for ICS (part of my business travel expenses). I am sure there is a ICS hack to get it for a lot less than the PAM plan.

ughlogins, it really was plug and play bliss. In as few as the 4 steps I described in my previous post.
    Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    Yep, it works flawlessly. I believe it started with Ubuntu 8.10 (It's actually Ubuntu 9.04, not 9.0.4, the 9 meaning it was released in 2009, and the 04 meaning it was released in April. Not a big deal, just being anal ).

There's absolutely no configuration required for using the USB-mode ICS. It's quite literally plug-and-play. About the only thing that annoys me is that it registers as an unusable network device even if you haven't turned ICS on. Not a major problem, but still there.
    Quote Originally Posted by ipsi View Post
    Yep, it works flawlessly. I believe it started with Ubuntu 8.10 (It's actually Ubuntu 9.04, not 9.0.4, the 9 meaning it was released in 2009, and the 04 meaning it was released in April. Not a big deal, just being anal ).

There's absolutely no configuration required for using the USB-mode ICS. It's quite literally plug-and-play. About the only thing that annoys me is that it registers as an unusable network device even if you haven't turned ICS on. Not a major problem, but still there.
    I tried this on 8.04, and it didn't work. Are you saying that it works from 8.10 Ubuntu forward?

When I plugged it in, network manager configured it, but it did not receive any name server and I could barely even ping IPs. Maybe I had a bad signal?
    Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    Yep. I had the same experience on 8.04. But when I installed 8.10 on my EEE PC, I found that it worked out of the box. I think I also booted an 8.10 live CD, and found that it worked just fine. I recently upgraded my work laptop from 7.10 to 9.04, and yeah, all good.
    Quote Originally Posted by ipsi View Post
    Yep. I had the same experience on 8.04. But when I installed 8.10 on my EEE PC, I found that it worked out of the box. I think I also booted an 8.10 live CD, and found that it worked just fine. I recently upgraded my work laptop from 7.10 to 9.04, and yeah, all good.
    So, I wonder what changed from 8.04 to 8.10 to allow this. I really dont want to upgrade. Maybe I can just update a certain file or configuration. Wonder what the difference is in each version. Anybody have any ideas?
    Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    That I can't help you with, I'm afraid. I suspect you can probably just install a few drivers or something. You'd be *much* better off asking this on the Ubuntu Forums, I imagine. Or searching Launchpad for any bug reports and seeing how they fixed it, maybe.

Sorry I can't be of any more help than that. I'm mostly just a Linux user...
    Quote Originally Posted by ughlogins View Post
    So, I wonder what changed from 8.04 to 8.10 to allow this. I really dont want to upgrade. Maybe I can just update a certain file or configuration. Wonder what the difference is in each version. Anybody have any ideas?
    I don't know why you wouldn't want to update. The current release is VERY nice.
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
    Quote Originally Posted by ughlogins View Post
    Unless you want to break your installation, you don't want to try upgrading only pieces. Unless things have changed since I last installed linux, each release has a way of changing where it looks for various files. I've always suspected that it's done that way to eliminate incompatibilities with older versions by forcing a fresh install of everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by kraski View Post
    Unless you want to break your installation, you don't want to try upgrading only pieces. Unless things have changed since I last installed linux, each release has a way of changing where it looks for various files. I've always suspected that it's done that way to eliminate incompatibilities with older versions by forcing a fresh install of everything.
    I agree!
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's