1.    #1  
    I have a GSM Treo Pro. Just did a hard reset which was long overdue. After the hard reset, a splash screen comes up and changes registry settings, installs applications, and does some other things too. Do anyone know exactly what is changed and installed at that point and if we can stop it from doing so?
    It's resetting everything back to it's factory defaults: the registry settings, installing the default apps, etc. You can't stop it unless someone comes up with a custom ROM that doesn't install anything I guess.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    A similar thing happens when you hard reset an AT&T Tilt. During the first section (with the win 6.1 splash screen) the phone is installing all the core WM apps, for example the phone application, file explorer, etc. Also in this period there's no feedback from the phone as to what is happening. During the second phase, when it actually tells you it is installing customization apps and whatnot, is the collection of applications and customizations that the phone manufacturer wanted to implement in said phone. For the Tilt it was a bunch of AT&T branded crap. For the Pro I'd say is Google maps, all the traditional Treo button assignments, etc.

This is somewhat speculative but I have seen it work in the Tilt. If after a hard reset you wait for the Win 6.1 splash screen, and at the exact moment there's that prompt of installing customization stuff (with the Treo logo) you SOFT-reset the phone, you'll end up with a Treo without any customizations of any kind, with a pure Win 6.1 OS and zero extras. If the phone was sold by a carrier this would get rid of annoying extras but in the GSM unlocked case there's really very little extras and is probably not worth it to kill themn anyways.
    Ode to the Treo Pro: you had to look so good, you had to be HTC in disguise...
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    I am going to do the middle finger salute now too. My screentime doesnt listen to me anymore. I dont know what happen.

Its one of those job every few months you need to do a hard reset. I am use to it already.
    Dell x51v → Motorola Q (Verizon) → Mogul → 800w → Treo Pro → Touch Pro 2 (SERO) → HTC EVO 3D → HTC EVO 4G LTE → HTC One S → Nexus 4
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by waldo15 View Post
    During the second phase, when it actually tells you it is installing customization apps and whatnot, is the collection of applications and customizations that the phone manufacturer wanted to implement in said phone. For the Tilt it was a bunch of AT&T branded crap. For the Pro I'd say is Google maps, all the traditional Treo button assignments, etc.

This is somewhat speculative but I have seen it work in the Tilt. If after a hard reset you wait for the Win 6.1 splash screen, and at the exact moment there's that prompt of installing customization stuff (with the Treo logo) you SOFT-reset the phone, you'll end up with a Treo without any customizations of any kind, with a pure Win 6.1 OS and zero extras. If the phone was sold by a carrier this would get rid of annoying extras but in the GSM unlocked case there's really very little extras and is probably not worth it to kill themn anyways.
    I was curious because it's an unlocked phone, so it's not installing and AT&T software. Even after that "customization", the phone isn't really bloated with software but I'd still like to know what it's doing. A pure 6.1 phone prior to customization may run better, but we just don't know...
    I wouldn't do a softreset at the splash screen, besides the TP is an unlocked beast!
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    Curious - I recently did a hard reset on my Treo Pro (GSM unlocked) and didn't see anything like that.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawmen23 View Post
    I was curious because it's an unlocked phone, so it's not installing and AT&T software. Even after that "customization", the phone isn't really bloated with software but I'd still like to know what it's doing. A pure 6.1 phone prior to customization may run better, but we just don't know...
    Yes, that is why I adviced against doing it for the TP. If anything, take it as an excercise to see what a pure WM6.1 looks like. You can always revert back to the full installation after another Hard reset.

I can certainly applaud Palm on how lean they made the phone; I used the Tilt in the past and it was full of so much crap that AT&T put in that the method I described was almost a necessity. Once I got my Pro it was much easier on the bloatware; I could only count a handful of apps that I'd not put in but even then there's a couple that are somewhat useful (Windows Live)

I most certainly will not want to deprive the TP from the customizations Palm built upon the basic WM6.1 core; that's what makes this phone a Treo.
    Ode to the Treo Pro: you had to look so good, you had to be HTC in disguise...