1.    #1  
    I started with the flip Treo (100?) and then moved up and up and up until the 650 when I jumped off the smartphone wagon for about 3 years.

Now I'm back with a Treo Pro and I have what is probably the silliest question. It's been bugging me since I got the phone.

Why WiFi?

I can make it work just fine. I just don't understand why I want it/need it/or what use I would have for it. Web pages don't seem to load any faster than without it. Is some application using it that I'm not aware of?

What do I do with it? I'm just curious.
    susan dennis
    seattle, WA
    http://susandennis.com
    it works great for me when im on the pooper at home. i get pretty bad signal at my house, but at least wifi can entertain me with webpages, beejive, and youtube.
  3.    #3  
    ahhhh so you can use it when maybe you can't get a signal... very excellent and i hadn't thought of that. so far i haven't had the phone out of the range of a single.

thank you!
    susan dennis
    seattle, WA
    Sometimes in my house I can't get a data connection but I can through wifi. The downside is that it uses more battery.
  5.    #5  
    I did not even consider that scenario. And good to know about the battery drain. That one wouldn't have occurred to me either.

Thanks!
    susan dennis
    seattle, WA
  6. CDG
    Global Posts
    2,003 Global Posts
    I use WiFi as much as I can when overseas, so then I don't have to worry about going over my allocated 20 megs of data roaming.

International airports and most hotel have free WiFi too.

I also use WiFi from home, the speeds are faster for me with WiFi than over 3G.
    Please Visit My Other Hangout
    Palm Pilot > Palm IIIxe > Palm Vx > Palm Treo 750 > Palm Treo Pro > BB 9700.
  7.    #7  
    Interesting. Thank you! This is all just the perfect info!
    susan dennis
    seattle, WA
    Global Posts
    223 Global Posts
    The absolute biggest use for wifi would have to be WMwifirouter!!! Can the iphone tether or be used as a router? I don't think so.

Another great use is skype over wifi when you're abroad to make free or cheap phone calls.
    I use wifi with resco to share files on my network.
    I use WiFi to login to my business LAN (proprietary applications) and make use of the network DB's for point of service operations (healthcare related); those DB's are not internet shared.
    When I catch the train at Union Station in Chicago, I can board the underground train early, and connect to WiFi and read the news.
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
    Also for the unlocked gsm version you could drop the 3g data connection entirely.Use wifi for data if it's easily accessible and save $15-30/mo.
    All great points- another one is being able to turn the cellular radio off (presumably at night) and not worry about texts and calls coming in but being able to maintain data connectivity.

I also use it when I can to stream sirius radio to avoid going over the "unlimited" threshold which if you use enough data could be hit. (sprint is 5gb)
    I'd prefer to tether using Bluetooth DUN for lower power consumption, but my Pavilion dv2000 doesn't have integrated BT, and I've never been able to find a dongle that works consistently. So I use WMWiFiRouter when USB tethering is inconvenient.
    Wifi uses sound great. Is is a manual process to switch between each wifi source (e.g. between different parts of a large building, or down to the coffee shop in the basement), or once you have identified "favorite" networks, does it transition automatically?