1.    #1  
    Hey folks,
    I went on my first trip with my Pro in a different time zone and I noticed a little problem with my calender. I had all my things set up for the right times but when my phone connected to my service provider and backed the time 2 hr behind all my calender events were 2 hours early. (ie. I had set up my flight for 4pm and then my Pro told me it was at 2 pm, all my meeting events were 2 hr early)

Is there a way to have the calender not change when I travel between time zone? The only time it should change is for daylight saving time.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Cheers,
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by maverick1416 View Post
    Hey folks,
    I went on my first trip with my Pro in a different time zone and I noticed a little problem with my calender. I had all my things set up for the right times but when my phone connected to my service provider and backed the time 2 hr behind all my calender events were 2 hours early. (ie. I had set up my flight for 4pm and then my Pro told me it was at 2 pm, all my meeting events were 2 hr early)

Is there a way to have the calender not change when I travel between time zone? The only time it should change is for daylight saving time.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Cheers,
    Can't tell you if there's a way to avoid the automatic changes, but I usually get around it by just scheduling everything based on my local time zone. I live in Atlanta, so if I have a flight departing Dallas, the departure time is in my calendar in Atlanta local time (1 hr later) instead of the local Dallas time. At least that way, when I'm in Dallas, it will show up as the correct time on my calendar.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for insight. I understand what you do and yes it would work for lets say a flight but everything in my calender is moved. So if I check what I have the next week then everything is based on the location I am in and not my home location. So when this happens I have to remember that I am not in my time zone and I have to remember the time change.... a really pain in the *** when I insert something in my calender when I am away from home.....

Someone else with an idea??

cheers
    I usually turn off "Use Network Time Zone" and just change the time on my clock.
    Global Posts
    328 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by maverick1416 View Post
    Thanks for insight. I understand what you do and yes it would work for lets say a flight but everything in my calender is moved. So if I check what I have the next week then everything is based on the location I am in and not my home location. So when this happens I have to remember that I am not in my time zone and I have to remember the time change.... a really pain in the *** when I insert something in my calender when I am away from home.....

Someone else with an idea??

cheers
    While it seems like a design flaw, it's actually the way Windows was designed to work - it's optimized for large organizations with people in many time zones who schedule meetings for each other. (By the way, there are a million threads about this issue all around the web. It seems that about 1/2 the people love this feature and 1/2 hate it.)

The only options are:
    1) Uncheck "Use Network Time". You will have to manually change the time when you get off the plane in a new time zone. (Don't change the time zone, just change the time).
    2) Schedule all your appointments in the time zone in which they will occur, not in the time zone you are in.
    3) Switch to a phone with Palm OS, which lets you set whether a particular appointment should change time zones or not, or to the iPhone, which lets you switch it on and off for all appointments (but not individual appointments).
  6.    #6  
    jg, Thanks for outlining my options. I can see how it could be helpful for some and I guess I am in the 1/2 that does like this feature. (Can't please everyone)

Knowning my options I will test them and see what I like the most. So Problem Solved!!!!!

Thanks.
    Global Posts
    328 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jg70124 View Post
    The only options are:
    1) Uncheck "Use Network Time". You will have to manually change the time when you get off the plane in a new time zone. (Don't change the time zone, just change the time).
    2) Schedule all your appointments in the time zone in which they will occur, not in the time zone you are in.
    I've just come back from two weeks travel in other time zones, and have some additional comments.

Option 1 (manually changing the time):
    - Email sent from the phone has the wrong time stamp at the recipient's end, and emails received on the phone have the wrong time on the phone.
    - The "World Time" app doesn't work
    - When I connected to my laptop (to back-up the phone and transfer pictures), the phone's time was changed to match the time of the laptop

Option 2 (scheduling appointments in the time zone they occur)
    - You can't add new appointments or task reminders while traveling if they're not in the same time zone you're in - Windows Mobile doesn't give you a way to select a time zone. (At least not on the non-touch screen version).
    - Task reminders created while traveling will fire at the wrong time when you return home (again, because there's no way to tell the phone you want 10:00 am at home, not 10:00 am in Italy).
    Quote Originally Posted by jg70124 View Post
    Option 2 (scheduling appointments in the time zone they occur)
    - You can't add new appointments or task reminders while traveling if they're not in the same time zone you're in - Windows Mobile doesn't give you a way to select a time zone. (At least not on the non-touch screen version).
    - Task reminders created while traveling will fire at the wrong time when you return home (again, because there's no way to tell the phone you want 10:00 am at home, not 10:00 am in Italy).
    So, basically, we need an option 3: leave on Network time, mentally figure out the time difference between where you'll be & your home location. For instance, I'm on the east coast US, but visit Las Vegas on occasion -- 3 hours behind.

If I'm on the east coast & plan a 1 pm appointment in Las Vegas, I need to put it in as 4pm (home time) -- which should automatically change to 1pm on my calendar when my phone is in Las Vegas & detects network time zone.

If I'm in Las Vegas & input a 1pm appointment, it should automatically change to 4pm in my calendar, when I return to the east coast.

If there are meeting times that need to be noted at a later date with the time in the time zone they occur, a manual note can be added. And this method can be very good if you're dealing with calls between time zones. But my example is simpler than some. So, is there a WinMo utility where you can input home city & destination city & get the times in both or at least the time difference between them?
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kraski View Post
    So, basically, we need an option 3: leave on Network time, mentally figure out the time difference between where you'll be & your home location. For instance, I'm on the east coast US, but visit Las Vegas on occasion -- 3 hours behind.

If I'm on the east coast & plan a 1 pm appointment in Las Vegas, I need to put it in as 4pm (home time) -- which should automatically change to 1pm on my calendar when my phone is in Las Vegas & detects network time zone.

If I'm in Las Vegas & input a 1pm appointment, it should automatically change to 4pm in my calendar, when I return to the east coast.

If there are meeting times that need to be noted at a later date with the time in the time zone they occur, a manual note can be added. And this method can be very good if you're dealing with calls between time zones. But my example is simpler than some. So, is there a WinMo utility where you can input home city & destination city & get the times in both or at least the time difference between them?
    Before I switched to the TreoPro, I used Datebk6 which tracked the time zome associated with the time entered. Since Lotus Notes does the same thing, it was great. I cannot find a Windows MObile app that does the same thing. It does appear that Pimlico is developing one though.