Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    On my Sprint TP I usually will show no bars, even outside. Then, every so often, it will quickly show full strength for a second, then go back to no bars. Having said this, I have no problems with dropped or missed calls. It just seems strange as I don't believe my signal indication indicates reality.
    yes mine STP is the exact same.
  3. rjw
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    I'll get full bars like that when I send out a text message. I don't understand how my coverage with this phone is 5 times worst than my Treo 755P.
    Global Posts
    221 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by edbro View Post
    On my Sprint TP I usually will show no bars, even outside. Then, every so often, it will quickly show full strength for a second, then go back to no bars. Having said this, I have no problems with dropped or missed calls. It just seems strange as I don't believe my signal indication indicates reality.
    I don't know if this is what's going on it may be when the 3G signal at your location is hovering around the low-signal cutoff level so it automatically flips from UMTS to GSM. I've seen this sometimes with mine. You can play with selecting the band in the phone settings section to test the theory (in "Band" change the network type from 'Auto' to 'GSM'.)
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by sansnil View Post
    You can play with selecting the band in the phone settings section to test the theory (in "Band" change the network type from 'Auto' to 'GSM'.)
    I've looked all over in the Phone Settings and I don't see this. I also looked through every app in the Settings - Connections. Where exactly is this?
    I live in N. New Jersey and 99% of the time I had full bars. This was with a v1.03 phone. As soon as i did the upgrade to v1.04 KABOOM! Terrible signal strength.
  7.    #7  
    Are you missing/dropping calls? Or, does your indicator simply show no bars?
    I've looked all over in the Phone Settings and I don't see this. I also looked through every app in the Settings - Connections. Where exactly is this?
    You aren't going to find it on your Sprint TP. It uses CDMA not GSM.
    Min does this too- I ignore it as I have done thorough testing that show that the Pro is very good at holding a signal.

The indicator itself just looks bad.
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    In the spot where I am sitting right now as I am typing this I have zero bars plus the bottom half of the tower icon is missing. Yet I can send texts, make calls and browse TC.

The indicator means nothing to me.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    even though i have the low signal strength in bars i have missed any calls
    Global Posts
    221 Global Posts
    Edbro, I'm sorry -- SandersJC1964 is right, I didn't think about yours being a CDMA phone. I'm not sure how Sprint's network works but it's possible it's the same phenomena if they also have a dual 2G and 3G layered network. Perhaps someone who knows Sprint better could confirm that?
    I actually find it intruiging the the Pro will switch back and forth btwn 1x and Ev depending on what you're doing. Notice, if you send a text, it changes for a split sec to 1x (and I go to 5 bars) and when done it will switch back to Ev which is usually 2 - 3 bars.
    Quote Originally Posted by Merovingian View Post
    I actually find it intruiging the the Pro will switch back and forth btwn 1x and Ev depending on what you're doing. Notice, if you send a text, it changes for a split sec to 1x (and I go to 5 bars) and when done it will switch back to Ev which is usually 2 - 3 bars.
    Kind of ironic that it is accurate enough to show the change to 1x for the text (most phones don't pick it up as it happens pretty quick) but then not accurate at all when eyeing signal strength.
    That was one of the first things I noticed. While in my house and outside even, my wife's STP has 0-1 bars while my 755p has a full 6 bars right next to it. However, the calls are clear and do not drop. The data and text are reliable also. When out and about, the STP has shown up 3 bars, but not often. It seems to me that the indicator might be off?
    Quote Originally Posted by compneo View Post
    That was one of the first things I noticed. While in my house and outside even, my wife's STP has 0-1 bars while my 755p has a full 6 bars right next to it. However, the calls are clear and do not drop. The data and text are reliable also. When out and about, the STP has shown up 3 bars, but not often. It seems to me that the indicator might be off?
    I am 8ft away from an airave right now and am only seeing 3 bars!

Every other device in my place is pinned at full bars.

Something is definitely off with the indicator. But the actual reception/performance is definitely good.
    I just had a replacement sent because of this same issue, Sprint said it was my Pro..........sheesh
    My GSM does that when it switches between E and H values. Then goes back to one bar. My mom's motorola has full strength while mine has one bar, if that.
    Gotta love technology... you blink and everything changes.
    We have a couple of Sprint Reps that have a, "Ask A Sprint Rep" thread started here. Maybe they could shed some light on the issue: http://discussion.treocentral.com/cd...print-rep.html
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

Same issue with me. I really have no idea what my signal strength is.

The only thing that seems reliable is the 1x/EV distinction and whether I do have some signal or no signal.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast