Global Posts
    118 Global Posts
    Anyone using a third party AC wall charger?

There is not much in the way of genuine Palm accessories available in Australia and I need an extra charger.

I have found a 3rd party Motorola one, says suits the Motorola Q, V8, V9, it has a mini USB plug so appears it will fit the Pro, it's marked output 5.0V 500MA.

I've examined the charger that came with the Pro but can't find any info about output etc.

Has anyone info on the original charger specs or have used a 3rd party charger and can help?

Thanks in advance.
    Treo 750 WM6.0 + Treo Pro WM6.1
    Carrier:Telstra Australia NextG (3G).
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    I use my IGo charger and its fine. Just bought a tip for the Treo Pro.
    Global Posts
    118 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mcd78 View Post
    I use my IGo charger and its fine. Just bought a tip for the Treo Pro.
    Is there any VOLTAGE and MA specification marked on it at all?
    Global Posts
    482 Global Posts
    You best bet is to just buy a cheap one on ebay. I bought this one and it works great.

New Home Wall Charger For Palm Treo 800W 850 Pro 800 W - eBay (item 400027514535 end time Jun-26-09 20:09:41 PDT)
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    Igo makes each tip to the exact specs for each phone or other device. I have had mine for at least 4 years on many different phones and mp3 players without a problem. As long as you have the correct tip, which you can check on their site for which one works for your device. I would tell you the Treo Pro tip but I don't have it near me. Amazon and ebay are a good place to check for good prices.
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    The Treo Pro uses a MicroUSB connector, not MiniUSB. Most any USB-power adapter will work. I have been using the one from my Amazon Kindle 2 because it's even smaller than Palm's. The Treo Pro does not seem as fussy about the power source as my iPod Touch is.
    Global Posts
    118 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by holmes4 View Post
    The Treo Pro uses a MicroUSB connector, not MiniUSB. Most any USB-power adapter will work. I have been using the one from my Amazon Kindle 2 because it's even smaller than Palm's. The Treo Pro does not seem as fussy about the power source as my iPod Touch is.
    Thanks for that.....My mistake I meant Micro.

I would like to get the highest output that I can, I can get an after market charger for the Motorola but it is only 500MA which is about the same as the USB on the computer, the Pro OEM charger is much faster than the USB off the computer so I guess it's probably 1.0Amp, I understand the Blackberry might be 850MA so I guess that might be an option as well.
    Yes the OEM is 1.0 A, but I have used 800 mA and it's OK. Do you want to go higher than OEM? Voltage is 5, btw.
    Global Posts
    118 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by garlic View Post
    Yes the OEM is 1.0 A, but I have used 800 mA and it's OK. Do you want to go higher than OEM? Voltage is 5, btw.
    No not higher...I don't want to smoke the Pro
    the battery is above 1200maH if im not mistake so as long as the charger is under 1.2A output it will be fine.

The lower amps will charge slower. Higher is faster. They both will yield the same result in charging.
    I bought a few Motorola mini to micro adapters and they work great on the moto chargers I have (have gone through a few BT headsets with them).

Here's a nice combo Car & Travel Micro USB Charger for $14 from buy.com
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    500ma is the limit for USB output, unless the device and supply negotiate for the new higher-power "charge only" supply. I don't think the Treo Pro does that.
    Global Posts
    118 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by holmes4 View Post
    500ma is the limit for USB output, unless the device and supply negotiate for the new higher-power "charge only" supply. I don't think the Treo Pro does that.
    I understood that this Spec was for USB powered from a computer, but that you could supply higher output from an AC charger off the wall socket, though it had to be correct Amps for the phone/device so a you didn't smoke the phone with too high a charge.