1.    #1  
    Guys I need to know if the memory on the tro pro is a problem. I came from a 800w and I really loved that phone..long story short,,,I don't have it anymore. I switched to a pre and I don't know if I'm going to keep it. I have learned that I simply love the tro form and don't want to try anything else. Can anyone give me some info on this...cause what I have heard was the mem is terrible and on my 800 I could have just about anything I wanted open at once. Thanks guys
    I've never had a memory issue. Usually 42MB free for me. You won't have any issues. Ditched the outdated 800. It was cancelled for a reason. The Treo Pro is everything the 800 should have been.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    Quote Originally Posted by gruppe3942 View Post
    Guys I need to know if the memory on the tro pro is a problem. I came from a 800w and I really loved that phone..long story short,,,I don't have it anymore. I switched to a pre and I don't know if I'm going to keep it. I have learned that I simply love the tro form and don't want to try anything else. Can anyone give me some info on this...cause what I have heard was the mem is terrible and on my 800 I could have just about anything I wanted open at once. Thanks guys
    It depends on what you run.

Opera Mobile takes a ton of RAM and if you run that in conjunction with say Live Search, Voice Command, Skype etc. you will run out of memory. In fact running the latest Opera 9.7 build in full mode easily results in "low mem" warnings. Same if you use IE6 (default) and start to load large sites with video--it'll choke.

OTOH, WM6.1 is pretty good at handling low memory and usually starts to shut down background apps that are low priority (has to do with programming requirements in WM), so things like Word and Mail stay open longer than browsers.

Example: For my setup (pretty modest) when I have my usual apps open (Mail, SMS, IM+, PockeTwit, Google Maps + a few today plugins) I'm at ~70% consumed RAM already. Throw on VoiceCommand and Skyfire bump that to 89%! With some usage, that'll be over 90% ram consumed and WM6.1 will begin closing apps behind the scenes, but the device won't crash.

I wouldn't let the low RAM deter you from getting the device but it can have an effect dependent on your setup e.g. if you like running Mobile Shell plus Skype, etc. So give it a shot but be weary of it. I do recommend using a RAM cleaner once in awhile, perhaps like MemMaid, that runs daily to free up memory for you.
    Last edited by Malatesta; 06/12/2009 at 09:49 PM.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter