Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'm re-posting this form this earlier thread to gain more visibility.

QuickGPS, from Qualcomm, is an internet based aGPS system whereby your phone downloads GPS ephemeris data in advanced for 7 days. This is then used to compute your location locally in a much more rapid fasion than standalone or network-assisted aGPS. Basically, on a cold-start you'll get an acquisition of your position within seconds (usually less than 10).

Thanks to jeremyspencer for originally putting the pieces together & veedubguru at ppcgeeks for re-working the graphics!

From PPCGeeks/XDA
    1. download attached zip
    2. extract all files
    3. run QuickGPS_VGA_by_SWTOS .cab
    4. reset
    5. run QuickGPS.reg file using Resco Explorer or similar to import
    6. reset
    7. You must have an open internet connection to work!

File contains: QuickGPS_VGA_by_SWTOS .cab; QuickGPS.reg

Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Malatesta; 06/14/2009 at 01:43 PM.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Mal I just haveone question does it fit your screen properly
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean-Troy View Post
    Mal I just haveone question does it fit your screen properly
    Nope! Forgot to mention that this is a VGA version of the app, so the button is huge and off center.

Will update 1st post with a screen shot, thx!

Thanks
    Wow thanks Mal! This was huge.

Directly from a soft reset it used to take 60 seconds after starting Garmin XT to get the GPS signal.

After I installed this, it only takes 15seconds!

Note that I'm not talking about Google maps or Live Search times. I'm specifically talking about Garmin Mobile XT launched directly after a soft reset.
    Daniel Levin
    levinda13@sbcglobal.net
    Global Posts
    227 Global Posts
    You guys must be in a hell of hurry if you think 45 seconds saved is huge. It takes me that long to back up, turn around, and pull out of my driveway.
    Quote Originally Posted by jbc28 View Post
    You guys must be in a hell of hurry if you think 45 seconds saved is huge. It takes me that long to back up, turn around, and pull out of my driveway.
    It's huge when you frequently travel to different cities for business and rent cars parked in garges where you often need to get to the garage entrance to get any GPS signal at all and you need to know which way to turn almost immediately to avoid going way out of your way.

So yes, sometimes 45 seconds is huge for me on the Garmin Mobile XT.
    Last edited by levinda; 06/14/2009 at 09:32 AM. Reason: typos
    Daniel Levin
    levinda13@sbcglobal.net
  8.    #8  
    lol, I can see how this would seem like nitpicking but here's why I think this is important:

The goal of mobile technology and specifically GPS/Location Based Services, is to make it as seamless as possible within the phone OS and to the end user. So that if you just launched Google Maps program, Garmin, Live Search etc. it should near instantly show your location, weather, where your friends are or places of interest (ideally speaking).

Sure, waiting a minute is not a huge deal, but if you do it numerous times a day or as a technology are looking to make it as effortless as possible...the faster the better (Plus you throw in all the other wait times e.g. BT pairing, Wifi connecting, 3g reconnecting, program launching, DB retrieval, etc. cutting down as many of those as possible is important for the overall "experience" for the end user)

[/philosophical diatribe]
    Last edited by Malatesta; 06/14/2009 at 01:15 PM.

9.    #9  
    Update: thanks to veedubguru at ppcgeeks, he fixed the graphics to look more natural!

Original .cab in 1st post updated.

Considering you're not supposed to use the gps while driving, it is nice to actually set your route before you back up, turn around and pull out of the driveway. besides, if you do get underway, you might not have your route before you get to that first deciding turn.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Global Posts
    227 Global Posts
    Jeez, you guys are sensitive. Did you not see the ?

I agree this would be great for someone hitting the ground and not having a clue on directions.
    I was just jumping on the bandwagon. Since I no longer have a Pre I've been avoiding ranting over in that forum. Can I rant about the lack of a control button on the Pro? How the heck do you guys manage with shortcuts?
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    So, once installed and executed, does this update automatically or is it something that you have to run manually every seven days?
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
    under options it has a check box for "Auto download when data expires" as well as one to "auto download when connected to PC via ActiveSync"
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    under options it has a check box for "Auto download when data expires" as well as one to "auto download when connected to PC via ActiveSync"
    Now the million dolloar question: will this actually run in the background and download the update? I thought I remember others saying this hacked version doesn't do the update in the background, which is not a huge deal as I can remember this once a week.

If anyone notices theirs doing this update automatically, let us know!

I was unable to get it to connect and download data. Every time I hit the 'Update' button, I get an error saying 'Failed to connect'. Any suggestions?
    Grant Smith

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by gksmithlcw View Post
    I was unable to get it to connect and download data. Every time I hit the 'Update' button, I get an error saying 'Failed to connect'. Any suggestions?
    Yup.

In the first post, the last step mentions you need to have an "open" internet connection for this to download the update.

So run IE first then run it again and it'll work

Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Yup.

In the first post, the last step mentions you need to have an "open" internet connection for this to download the update.

So run IE first then run it again and it'll work
    I ALWAYS have an 'open' Internet connection and Exchange AS had JUST run on the device, ensuring that the Internet connection was open.
    Grant Smith

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by gksmithlcw View Post
    I ALWAYS have an 'open' Internet connection and Exchange AS had JUST run on the device, ensuring that the Internet connection was open.
    Great, then I guess your broke the internet. Thanks.

Mmm....I dunno, did you soft-reset too? I had this happened after I installed but didn't soft reset.

Other than that I have no idea as this has worked on mine and 3 other devices. I just ran the download again the server is still working too.

Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Great, then I guess your broke the internet. Thanks.

Mmm....I dunno, did you soft-reset too? I had this happened after I installed but didn't soft reset.

Other than that I have no idea as this has worked on mine and 3 other devices. I just ran the download again the server is still working too.
    Thanks for checking. I did NOT soft reset. I'll reinstall and give it a try.
    Grant Smith

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast