1.    #1  
    I know this is a treo forum, but I have seen a few people that either have both devices, or have Touch Pro's. I am wondering what everyones thoughts are on the Touch Pro. My Largest problem that I can't seem to get over with my Sprint Treo Pro is that when a call comes in, the screen is unlocked. I can't count the number of times I have answered or ignored a call without knowing it. I have tried several phone locking programs, but all of them end up with the same result, when the phone rings, the window pops up and lets you tap the answer or ignore keys. I briefly tested the Touch Pro in a Sprint store, and it seemed to do the same thing. The screen unlocks on an incoming call, but several of the phone locking programs seem to have pretty good reviews from people who have used them on their Touch Pro. Any input at all is is greatly appreciated, I have until Friday to decide (30 day exchange). Thanks!
    Have you tried a slide-to-answer program?
    Go to settings and keyguard and enable. I do not have your problem at all because of this setting, makes you hit the center key to unlock. I used to randomly call the last person I talked to all the time. They would talk to me later and say how they could hear me talking, hasn't happened once since I set this setting.
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    I came from a Touch Pro to the Palm Pro and wouldn't go back. The Touch Pro is super nice (especially that glorious VGA screen!) but it has too many warts including an absolutely horrible battery life. A phone that does everything is useless with a dead battery.

That said, you should try csdevctrl. Its a nifty little program that should work with your Treo Pro. You can get it over at xda-developers. I cant post a link until I have more posts, sorry.

It is tiny, fast and uses the stock locking mechanisms in WM6.1. You can set it to lock your hardware buttons when a call comes in. I've not used it on my Treo Pro (don't need it) but used it often on my Touch pro and it worked well. It uninstalls nicely so give it a shot.
  5.    #5  
    To skfny: Yes, I have tried 4 different programs, and they all lock the screen/phone, but when the call comes in, the screen unlocks.

To freshsmile: Thanks for the suggestion, but the problem that I am having is not while I am on a call, or while the phone is just sitting there, either in the case, or my pocket. The issue occurs when a call is incoming. the phone is locked, then when it receives a call, the screen unlocks.

To ItsDon: I appreciate your thoughts. I fully agree that a phone is useless without the battery. That was one of the bad things I have heard about the touch pro. I have tried 4 different lock programs with no success, but I have not tried or even seen csdevctrl. I will try that now, and let you know if it works. If it does, you may have just solved my largest problem with the Treo Pro.
  6.    #6  
    ItsDon: Thanks, but csdevctrl does the same thing as the others, it seems to work great, and I like the options, but when a call comes in, the phone overrides the program, and the screen is enabled. As soon as the call is picked up or ignored, csdevctrl takes over again. Looks like it is back to hunting down more programs, or maybe some type of extended battery for the Touch Pro...
    Not that I had a need for it, but just about every custom ROM I've used with my Touch Pro has a slide to answer program baked in. I can't speak for the Treo Pro, but with the Sprint HTC Touch Pro I can't see how a phone would ever answer on its own with the slide to answer programs that were made especially for the Touch Pro running.

With the Touch Pro there are more ROMs available than I have ever tried to enumerate. I'm already using the Touch Pro 2's version of TF3D (Rhodium Manila) and WM 6.5. There are all sorts of ROMs with various goodies. Although there are program installers for Touch Pro specific slide to answer programs available.

I was hoping the Treo Pro would have the benefit of customized ROMs by now, but the Touch Pro has lots of folks developing various ROMs and applications especially for it all the time. The ROM I'm using even has a program to turn off the screen once I pick up the device to speak during a call and automatically turns the screen back on when I take the device away from my ear. (As you see in the link it's also available as a separate program too.)

Both the Treo Pro and Touch Pro are great devices, but at the moment the Touch Pro has a bit more in the way of customized applications and ROMs available.

Unless you have questions DarksAlphas, this will likely be my only comment in the thread, because obviously you know where we are and discussions like this often get out of hand.
  8.    #8  
    darnell, Have you had any battery life issues with the Touch Pro? from what I have gathered from other posts, it almost seems like luck of the draw with the Touch Pro, some people say the battery life is terrible, others say it isn't too bad. Just wondering what your experiences are.
    If I to render an opinion (my own, worth exactly that) I would tell you to steer clear of the touch pro. I spent over $800 (purchased one for me and one for my wife) on the Touch pro about 5 months ago and it was one of the worst phones I have ever used. the VGA screen, while sounding good, is rendered useless because it is sooo tiny and the phone itself had so many bugs that I finally sold them both off (losing a tidy $420 in the process).

I went to the touch Pro and I am INFINITELY happier. While not perfect, the TP is (again, my opinion) 100X better than the touch pro.

I had a thread about this topic a few weeks back if you care to search.

Anyways, there are many that love the HTC Touch pro, I am just not one of them. I'll be a Treo customer for a looong time~!

Good luck on whatever choice you make.
    TREO 300--->TREO 600--->TREO 650--->TREO 750--->HTC TOUCH PRO--->TREO PRO
    I really like my Touch Pro; however, it doesn't have the ease of use of my prior Treos. What it does have is a ton of functionality, a great interface, and some neat extras (such as video out) that were actually very useful.

I'll likely be moving to the Pre shortly, because I'm just restless about phones.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    Quote Originally Posted by DarksAlphas View Post
    darnell, Have you had any battery life issues with the Touch Pro? from what I have gathered from other posts, it almost seems like luck of the draw with the Touch Pro, some people say the battery life is terrible, others say it isn't too bad. Just wondering what your experiences are.
    I'm often near places to charge, so I've never had any issues with battery life. But the Touch Pro is a type of device where if I'm away from places to charge during a 9-5 kind of day, if I'm using my "good battery" it last all day, but if I'm using my other not as good battery it only last about half the day. Both batteries are stock HTC batteries, same size, one just seems to work better than the other.

Also ROMs vary in their battery life. I've heard it said that SilenceROM might be the best in that category and people can get 2 full days of use before charging with it. I personally prefer EnergyROM 3 these days, it's a big time battery burner and probably eats more battery than any other ROM out there including the stock ROM. (SilenceROM does not have a WM 6.5 + Rhodium Manila version. I only use ROMs with WM 6.5 and Rhodium Manila, that's my minimum requirement these days. EnergyROMs just have some goodies that are not baked into some of the others) From my Treo 800w days I'm used to keeping my device on charge, I have a second battery, plus some tools from my 800w experience to keep the change even when away from a wall outlet or car charger. The Treo Pro has a much larger battery to avoid the battery life issues the 800w had and the Sprint Treo Pro does better in battery life overall than the Sprint Touch Pro.

Usually Sprint will give you a 2nd battery free if you complain about battery life. (Best to make your complaints during the first 30 days, when they bend over backwards to help.) The Sprint Touch Pro has the same processor as the Sprint Treo Pro, but the Touch Pro has a larger VGA sized screen and smaller battery. So to you, the Sprint Touch Pro would have a very apparent faster battery burn. If you got a Touch Pro, that's something you'd have to be ready for. Other than that, if you can adjust to using on screen soft qwerty keyboard and the slider keyboard you probably would enjoy the Touch Pro.

But you can't go to Sprint for support if ever needed with anything but the stock ROM, you'd have to flash back to stock and lock it in if you ever need help from Sprint. I flash ROMs pretty often, so I use Sashimi to get things setup quickly after a ROM flash. But when seeing Sprint for any help if you had any hardware problems you probably would not want any 3rd party programs installed at all.

The Touch Pro also has some heat issues that you can read details about here. Details and means to mitigate that issue are all there.

My device history is as follows:
    Palm Professional -> Visor Prism -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 800w -> Touch Pro.

For me, the Touch Pro is one I'll be keeping for some time. Nothing else in the US yet that I want. I might keep it till Sprint is offering some devices with something like this in them .
    I agree that the whole battery life debate has been put to rest. Even how crappy the 800 is I had an extra battery, car charger and extra wall chargers at work and home. Wouls always top it off any chance I would get.

The Touch Pro is a great phone and for those who complain the its just not useful is total crap. Those people either paid full price or wanted more simplicity. For many of us who took full advantage found it to be a stunning full featured device. The TP community has done wonders with ROM's. If simplicity is what you want then a Treo Pro or BB Curve is what you should get.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    Global Posts
    221 Global Posts
    ItsDon: Thanks, but csdevctrl does the same thing as the others, it seems to work great, and I like the options, but when a call comes in, the phone overrides the program, and the screen is enabled. As soon as the call is picked up or ignored, csdevctrl takes over again. Looks like it is back to hunting down more programs, or maybe some type of extended battery for the Touch Pro...
    I use S2U2 which quite reliably requires you to slide-to-unlock when a call comes in -- the phone does not override it all. Maybe that would help you. It works quite well on the Treo Pro just be sure you set the graphic mode setting to 'Raw Buffer.'
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by sansnil View Post
    I use S2U2 which quite reliably requires you to slide-to-unlock when a call comes in -- the phone does not override it all. Maybe that would help you. It works quite well on the Treo Pro just be sure you set the graphic mode setting to 'Raw Buffer.'
    S2U2 works well on your Treo Pro? That is odd, I have loaded that on mine, and it gets overridden when a call comes in. The screen flashes a few times, and I still see the lock screen in the back, but the white box with answer or ignore pops up over top of the lock screen. hmm I wonder if that is just an issue with my phone, perhaps one too many registry changes. I am going to back up and hard reset my phone tonight and try reinstalling S2U2, and see if that works. Thank you, and thanks to everyone for their input, I appreciate it.
    Global Posts
    221 Global Posts
    S2U2 works well on your Treo Pro? That is odd, I have loaded that on mine, and it gets overridden when a call comes in. The screen flashes a few times, and I still see the lock screen in the back, but the white box with answer or ignore pops up over top of the lock screen. hmm I wonder if that is just an issue with my phone, perhaps one too many registry changes. I am going to back up and hard reset my phone tonight and try reinstalling S2U2, and see if that works. Thank you, and thanks to everyone for their input, I appreciate it.
    Yea it works very reliably on my Treo Pro GSM.
    Other details: I use SU2U version 1.62 with the "Slide to Answer" in "only when locked mode" and also the caller id setting as "full screen" in case that could matter but I doubt it. And the Display Mode as "RawBuffer" also in case it matters.

Let us know if it doesn't work after your hard reset -- does anyone else have this problem with the Sprint Treo Pro (or GTP)? I can understand your frustration. It's a bad quirk like the inability to silence the ringer with one key on an incoming call.
  16.    #16  
    Well, after the hard reset, S2U2 seems to be working. There is a slight glitch when the phone wakes up due to the "press the center key to unlock" window, but I am sure that can be fixed with a little playing. The major down side I have come across so far is it seems to be eating my battery. I installed it on my Boss' phone, and it doesn't seem to be as large of a drain. The only difference between the 2 phones is mine had a data connection on, and theirs didn't. I saw a beta2 update for S2U2 that mentions fixing a battery problem during data connections, so I will try that out. Also I will probably have Sprint send me a new battery since mine only seems to be charging to 97%. All in all, S2U2 seems to be working, so it looks like I will be sticking with the Treo Pro. The Touch Pro seems more customizable, but less out of the box imo. Thank you to everyone for your input and help.
    Well, after the hard reset, S2U2 seems to be working. There is a slight glitch when the phone wakes up due to the "press the center key to unlock" window, but I am sure that can be fixed with a little playing. The major down side I have come across so far is it seems to be eating my battery. I installed it on my Boss' phone, and it doesn't seem to be as large of a drain. The only difference between the 2 phones is mine had a data connection on, and theirs didn't. I saw a beta2 update for S2U2 that mentions fixing a battery problem during data connections, so I will try that out. Also I will probably have Sprint send me a new battery since mine only seems to be charging to 97%. All in all, S2U2 seems to be working, so it looks like I will be sticking with the Treo Pro. The Touch Pro seems more customizable, but less out of the box imo. Thank you to everyone for your input and help.
    If you disable Keyguard, then you won't have the "press the center key to unlock" message pop up. As for the battery, I haven't really noticed an unusual battery drain with mine, and I'm even using it in conjunction with SPB MS3.
  18.    #18  
    Thanks. I disabled the key guard, but when you hit the end/red key, it puts it on. Guess i will have to get used to not hitting the end key to turn the screen off/lock the phone.
    Thanks. I disabled the key guard, but when you hit the end/red key, it puts it on. Guess i will have to get used to not hitting the end key to turn the screen off/lock the phone.
    Ah yes, I had forgotten about that. I always use the top button to shut the screen off. It didn't take a long time to get used to it.
    Global Posts
    221 Global Posts
    I saw someone else's post in a different thread (sorry poster I don't recall who it was!) who said they were able to more completely disable Keyguard by disabling the associated WinMo service. I tried that and indeed it worked like a charm - but with my GTP after I'd get a reminder from sleeping the screen won't accept any touch input so I had to reenable it. Too bad, but I can live with it too.