Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    Does anyone else have the problem of the Treo Pro not keeping up with fast typing? I switched from an 800W to a Treo Pro, and while the 800W would occasionally drop characters when typing (especially when loading a long chat log into the Palm SMS app in the background), my Treo Pro loses a tremendous number of characters when I type quickly, and I find myself backspacing constantly to correct errors.

I've had it long enough now that I'm certain that it's not due to unfamiliarity with the keyboard (and I pulled an old 700p out of a drawer that I haven't used in almost a year and was able to type quickly without any dropped characters on it), so my question is does anyone else have this problem or is it likely that mine's defective?
    lol...I thought I was loosing my typing capabilities. Yes, I experience the same thing. I find myself typing much slower so I don't have to go back and make corrections.
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    I have had a problem with letters toward the bottom of the keyboard and realized that I hit the space bar with my finger/thumb.
    James

VZW: 700W>700WX>Centro>Samsung Saga> now with Sprint: Touch Pro>Treo Pro>Touch Pro 2
    yes I have noticed this too. I just type a little slow and try to use the t9
    same here
    I type extremely fast so no phone can keep up with me anyway.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    OK looks like it's not just me, which is too bad. Does anyone have any tips on how to alleviate (or at least lessen) the problem? For me it's bad enough that I can actually bang out an email much faster on my iPod Touch, and prior to this phone I had generally thought of the iPhone keyboard as being inferior to the Treo keyboards.
    I have the same problem. I think it has to do with the low program memory the STP has.
    yeah, same problems here too.

i find my software laggy, i can type 1-2 words ahead of what appears on the screen. also the keyboard seems to want a firm push, as opposed to the softer click of a 700p/wx...
    Quote Originally Posted by MedicWill View Post
    I have the same problem. I think it has to do with the low program memory the STP has.
    the GSM Treo Pro has even less memory and also has this problem. I have a feeling this has to do with how WM 6.1 sorts the text messages. Even though the texts are displayed in "groups" by contact on your phone, each message is still sent & received individually and stored as a separate file in a folder. I may have 30 threaded texts on my phone, but there's over 10,000 files in my messaging folder. I don't think any of Microsoft's operating systems are designed to efficiently sort through a folder of 10,000 files. I think the phone is missing keys because of how poorly it manages it's memory with such a large group of files.

For some reason I have a hard time parting with my texts, so can someone else do a test and see if they still experience the issue after all texts are deleted? I also heard this happens less with the Palm SMS vs WM6.1 threading.

Additional thoughts: I have also seen(and experienced) that when listening to audio while the screen saver option is enabled will cause the audio to stutter every time the time changes. For some reason the Treo's hardware can not process the audio and that visual clock change in parallel, so it has to stop the sound, change the time and then proceed with the sound processing. I think what happens with the treo dropping characters is that some kind of memory swapping function is interrupting the keyboards information flow to the SMS app. There is no buffer to hold that info so if the treo is "busy" at any moment as I'm typing away, it just doesn't input that key. I have noticed that it's inconsistent. Sometimes it works fine. Sometimes it works ok. Sometimes it's unbearable. This needs to be fixed. ARE YOU LISTENING PALM?!?! FIX IT!!!!
    Last edited by Lawmen23; 06/10/2009 at 12:43 AM. Reason: additional note
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    Parasite, I had the laggy problem with the Touch Pro but not the Treo Pro -- Treo Pro seems to be about as snappy as the 800W, it just loses characters (I honestly don't remember if my Touch Pro dropped characters or not, but it did take it a while to catch up with my typing, as you describe).

Physically the Treo Pro's keyboard isn't up to the standards set by the 800w keyboard, but I think it would be fine if it didn't drop characters. Unfortunately, dropping characters is pretty infuriating.

This is what really gets me about almost every phone I've used recently: they all seem to sacrifice some sort of completely basic functionality that we should be able to take for granted (like, say, ringing when a call comes in, or being able to keep up with typing, or being able to push the volume button to stop a vibrating ring, or not being bombarded with low battery warnings for hours on end (800w), or having a key/screen guard to keep from activating and dialing in your pocket (Touch Pro), or having the volume rocker set the alert volumes along with the ringer volume (Centro)...

And what's worse is that we never seem to get official software updates to fix the lack of basic functionality. I mean, really, I'm not asking for a built-in HD DirecTV receiver here, I'm asking for a phone that rings when someone calls me and that can keep up with what I type.

This is honestly why I have high hopes for webOS in the long-term, because it looks like Palm has decided to adopt the iPhone strategy of continuous improvement for existing phones, rather than the "ship it, maybe send out a .x upgrade, and abandon for the Next Big Thing" philosophy of Microsoft and Winmo device makers (and Palm OS).
    Last edited by esoterica; 06/09/2009 at 07:28 PM.
    I have the same issue. I think typing with the tips of your thumbs instead of the pads helps.
    I have it sometimes too. Seems to happen in the SMS app only though -- or maybe I don't do enough typing elsewhere to notice.
    For me, when I type the word (capital) "I" ... the screen goes highwire and I have to save the message to drafts, and then re-open the message to continue typing. Only happens when I do "shift" "I" ... I almost wonder if I have set some option (unknowingly) and now wish I could turn it off. Anyone else had that problem of typing a capital "I" and then not seeing any characters past that "I" on the screen?
    I absololutely dont have this problem. I type fast too- been ripping away on tiny qwerty's since the treo 300 in 2002.

I gave up on the moto q because of this. I feel like I am pickey.
    I have the same problem. I have had T600- T650 T700 P asnd the typing is not so "hot" on this Phone. It does slow me down for sure. I hope PALM figures it out
    This must be an issue with everything HTC makes. I don't use the Touch Pro hard keyboard much, but when I use it if I type at my top speed it seems not to be able to keep up. Although with the stock ROM it would seem to keep up, but with a short delay. I think it totally depends on the speed of the typer as to whether they'll notice.

Quote Originally Posted by MaverickC5 View Post
    I hope PALM figures it out
    Yup, for the Treo Pro it's Palm's problem. (Which maybe they'll get HTC to resolve.)

I would not be surprised if this one is never fixed though. (Sure some of you don't want to hear talk like that, but just my opinion and I may be right. I've noticed it regardless the ROM I used on the Touch Pro.)
    I wonder if the Pre has this issue. I do read the Pre forums but there are sure a lot of major issues on that device much bigger than typing.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    Quote Originally Posted by VibrantRedGT View Post
    I wonder if the Pre has this issue. I do read the Pre forums but there are sure a lot of major issues on that device much bigger than typing.
    Yea, I don't think they (the Pre crowd) need any more issues. Seems their cup is overflowing with problems already.
  20. hjt
    I had the same issue and found that if you disable ClearType your device does become more responsive. Settings/Screen/ClearType.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast