Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Someone that may be looking to switch from the Treo 800w to the Pre might consider this information useful.

I was tired of the 800w and I wanted something new and exciting. I was antsy that the Pre was coming out, so on release day, I went and bought one. After having the Pre for several days, I came to the conclusion that it just isn't ready for prime time.

The Pre is missing some core functionality that the 800w/windows mobile phones have (ie:copy paste from within just about any program). The Pre simply feels like a phone that was rushed out with a pretty UI. Sell now -> Fix later. I don't want to depend on Palm providing patches and fixes over the lifespan of the phone.

Based on Palm's track record, I don't necessarily trust Palm to provide continuing updates over the lifespan of the device-as soon as they make a new phone, the Pre will soon be forgotten. This has happened to me from the 650->700p->800w

The new iPhone with extended battery seems to be a real competitor and I'm now at the point where I'm willing to give the on screen keyboard a fair shot. When my contract expires, I will be leaving Palm for the iPhone.
    Wow, I'm still trying to decide. Thanks for the heads up & good luck with the iPhone.
    I spent some time at a Sprint store this evening with the Pre and yep, it is small and yep the screen looks good; however, the lack of applications keep me from going further with it.
  4.    #4  
    I don't want to come off completely negative towards the Pre so I will say this:

The Pre isn't all that bad of a device, but I only had a $75 rebate towards the price of the phone so it was quite expensive. Some of the features I felt worked great were:

-The phone app with proximity sensor (very impressive)
    -The web browser is absolutely amazing
    -I actually like the keyboard
    -The phone itself is beautiful and it fits VERY nicely in the hand
    -The Amazon music store and Craigslist apps work phenomenal (albeit it would be nice to be able to download music using 3g instead of being limited to wifi)
    -The graphics are gorgeous
    -Youtube is awesome

Some of the things I gripe about that will most likely be fixed in future updates:
    -The calendar just doesn't seem as snappy as it should be
    -The calculator takes > 5 seconds to load (not much diff than WM, but still...)
    -The battery is downright pathetic and I don't want to go the whole extended battery lump route.
    -There aren't as many fields in the contact info as palm OS and WM
    -IMAP doesn't seem to be working
    -Google maps on the Pre is, without a doubt, much worse than the blackberry, windows mobiles or palmos
    -The signal fluctuates between 0-5 bars in areas with full coverage. The phone will roam for NO reason.

To me, the overall cost for me does not add the value I need to justify the cost of the phone. I look forward to watching the Pre mature over time, but I don't want to be the one dealing with the growing pains.
    Last edited by kaptainchump; 06/09/2009 at 02:58 AM.
    Global Posts
    313 Global Posts
    Wait six months and the pre will have everything worth having.
    Henry L lazarus hlazar@netaxs.com
    www.netaxs.com/~hlazar/
    www.netaxs.com/~hlazar/god.html
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    The more I read about the Pre the happier I am with my 800 even with its glitches.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by hlazar View Post
    Wait six months and the pre will have everything worth having.
    I'm sure it will. After six months, my contract with sprint will be up and I will be able to negotiate a better deal on the phone. For now, I feel like I made an unwise decision and I'm not going to give palm the chance to make me feel like a fool again.

-Typed from a pre fluctuating between roaming and sprint in a full coverage area.
    Quote Originally Posted by kaptainchump View Post
    -The signal fluctuates between 0-5 bars in areas with full coverage. The phone will roam for NO reason.
    I've seen this complaint and a lot of "calls go to voicemail with no ring" too, which is similar to what I and some others have experienced with the Sprint Treo Pro.

Something to do either with reception (less likely) or calibration of the radio/signal (more likely).

gtk though

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    To me, the overall cost for me does not add the value I need to justify the cost of the phone. I look forward to watching the Pre mature over time, but I don't want to be the one dealing with the growing pains.
    Kaptain: Thanks for the perspective!

I still have a love-hate deal going on with my 800W.
    I have been on the profusely bleeding edge with your aforementioned phones (plus a 700wx).

I agree that many of the issues that people are complaining of CAN be corrected through updates.
    I ASSUME Palm will push out those updates.
    But......we have assumed that in the past.
    Unfortunately I will feel a bit too much like Charlie Brown trying to kick that football that Lucy is holding if I get a Pre right now.

Plus, the smaller size of the Pre's keyboard is a big deterrent for me, the keys seemed too small. I only had a limited time with the demo though.

I am assuming that you have not used exchange.
    If in fact you have, I would be really interested to know how it compares to the user experience on the 800W.
    Coming back to the 800 seems to be a stretch. Treo Pro more likely. I am through buying on day 1 thanks to the 800. Although the iPhone 3GS sure does have my attention. I amost pre ordered it today. Need to wait for my boss to give me the approval. The Pre does nothing for me.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    I don't want to come off completely negative towards the Pre so I will say this:

The Pre isn't all that bad of a device, but I only had a $75 rebate towards the price of the phone so it was quite expensive. Some of the features I felt worked great were:

-The phone app with proximity sensor (very impressive)
    -The web browser is absolutely amazing
    -I actually like the keyboard
    -The phone itself is beautiful and it fits VERY nicely in the hand
    -The Amazon music store and Craigslist apps work phenomenal (albeit it would be nice to be able to download music using 3g instead of being limited to wifi)
    -The graphics are gorgeous
    -Youtube is awesome

Some of the things I gripe about that will most likely be fixed in future updates:
    -The calendar just doesn't seem as snappy as it should be
    -The calculator takes > 5 seconds to load (not much diff than WM, but still...)
    -The battery is downright pathetic and I don't want to go the whole extended battery lump route.
    -There aren't as many fields in the contact info as palm OS and WM
    -IMAP doesn't seem to be working
    -Google maps on the Pre is, without a doubt, much worse than the blackberry, windows mobiles or palmos

I too might also be coming back to the 800w from the pre. I just got my 800w working almost exactly how I wanted it to (no easy task since I was tweaking it since July 08). I told myself as well that I would never jump ship into a palm phone right as it released. Apparently the gleam blinded me to the pains of my 800.

Another thing is that it kind of makes me worried trying to stick it out with the pre. On the one hand, tweaking the 800w to correct all of the problems gave me an opportunity to learn a lot of new things I did not previously know. I felt like that was a plus.

On the other hand, it seems like the 800w users were just abandoned and palm came out with the treo pro. I really hope this does not happen with the pre. I don't think it will but then again everyone thought palm was going to update all of the things wrong with the 800w. It basically took all of the users on these forums for me to be satisfied with the phone.

A couple things that I wanted to mention to reaffirm some of the points of kaptainchump and to disagree with others.

Agree with
    -I do actually like the keyboard as well. It is basically what it looks like. A mix between the treo pro and 800w. I have had no problem adjusting at all.
    -The screen makes the phone. It is extremely clear and crisp. (I kind of mixed the youtube, web browser, and graphics into this one)
    -Google maps sucks. You cannot select a point on the map and get directions. I haven't figured out how to save favorites. I don't think you can. And it doesn't remember what you have typed. I must use this a lot because this was a big disappointment to me.
    -The proximity sensor was cool while it lasted. Mine broke. Bummer.

Disagree with
    -Not much.

I can honestly say I am considering going back to my 800w but I might just sell out and be along for the ride on the pre. My only comfort is that I don't think palm or sprint can let this phone fail. Just like the government can't let any more banks fail. Poor analogy, I know, but I have to find comfort somewhere. I think I could potentially be okay with staying with the pre if they could figure out the dang EAS issue. The next 27 days are going to be bumpy.
    Quote Originally Posted by VibrantRedGT View Post
    Coming back to the 800 seems to be a stretch. Treo Pro more likely. I am through buying on day 1 thanks to the 800. Although the iPhone 3GS sure does have my attention. I amost pre ordered it today. Need to wait for my boss to give me the approval. The Pre does nothing for me.
    Yea after the 800w I don't plan to buy any more smart phones on day one.

But Kaptainchump, if you're ready to try a device with an on screen keyboard, you might want to wait to try the HTC Touch Diamond 2 or Touch Pro 2. All the WM benefits with the large touch screen. And you'll be able to get it with Sprint and save, instead of those higher priced AT&T plans .
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    Yea after the 800w I don't plan to buy any more smart phones on day one.

But Kaptainchump, if you're ready to try a device with an on screen keyboard, you might want to wait to try the HTC Touch Diamond 2 or Touch Pro 2. All the WM benefits with the large touch screen. And you'll be able to get it with Sprint and save, instead of those higher priced AT&T plans .
    I feel the same way about day 1 phones now. Lesson learned.
    Over the coming months, I will try to extensively use my friends' iPhones and play with the Touch Pro 2 before making any quick decisions.

I guess I'm just picky about phones, huh?

I have my Treo 800w set up just right and I've backed up my configuration. Surprisingly, opera mini seems to do the trick and do it faster in most situations when compared to the Pre. I sure do miss the Pre's beautiful screen, but another point to note is that the Treo 800w, with it's transflective lcd screen can been seen clearly in broad daylight while the Pre can not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    I've seen this complaint and a lot of "calls go to voicemail with no ring" too, which is similar to what I and some others have experienced with the Sprint Treo Pro.
    My 800W does this regularly.
    When I had 800ws I had calls on VM without a ring because often the device would die. I knew whenever I took my kids to daycare, that by the time I got back into the car the 800w would not be on, just dead. The use for music + GPS with BT stereo and maybe a call during it all would just kill it, especially if it I attempted outgoing calls with the other things going on. Been using Touch Pros since January, have never missed a call yet and when I pull it out it's working.
    I get calls go to voicemail with no ring on my 800W all the time too. Plus, if it's plugged in there is a 25% chance of it crashing and not rebooting until I take out the battery.

I got a new one hoping it would fix the problem but it did the same thing the first time I plugged it in. It is completely useless as an alarm clock.
    I get quite a few "calls directly to voice mail" with my Touch Pro. I don't recall that with any of my Treos.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post
    I get quite a few "calls directly to voice mail" with my Touch Pro. I don't recall that with any of my Treos.
    Perhaps you should try getting a replacement?

And with the Treo Pros, I know VRGT mentioned missing calls till he applied the fix for missing calls. And Cody left the Treo Pro till that fix came and has been using the Treo Pro again since.

I mention them, because they're the kind of people who literally get lots of calls daily. So they're not going to use a device that keeps missing calls.
    exactly. i have my 800w since day 1 and palm never sent out a update or anything. only feature i like on it is area code look up.

im getting a touch pro soon. bye palm had you since the 700wx.
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    Perhaps you should try getting a replacement?

And with the Treo Pros, I know VRGT mentioned missing calls till he applied the fix for missing calls. And Cody left the Treo Pro till that fix came and has been using the Treo Pro again since.

I mention them, because they're the kind of people who literally get lots of calls daily. So they're not going to use a device that keeps missing calls.
    I missed a call today after having applied the fix... *sighs*
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast