Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by kaptainchump View Post
    I am a fan of how palm OS and windows mobile handle the basic pim functions, but the iPhone comes dangerously close.

p.s. email on the iphone is friggin amazing an absolutely unbeatable at the current time.

I hope I'm coming off as a fan of all devices who can provide a fair perspective on the iPhone-not a fanboy.
    Not really. The iPhone is a good choice for many people but it's PIM apps suck (the Pre's aren't wonderful either). The email client does handle HTML mail well but it is otherwise pretty lousy.
  2.    #62  
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    Not really. The iPhone is a good choice for many people but it's PIM apps suck (the Pre's aren't wonderful either). The email client does handle HTML mail well but it is otherwise pretty lousy.
    I'm not trying to turn this into an argument-more of a learning experience, but could you please elaborate on your two points?

I need to know which mobile email solutions offer better clients and for what reason(s). Why is the iPhone's email client lousy? The blackberry supports push email natively, but I remember it requiring third party (buggy) applications to provide html email support-even then, their html email wasn't so hot (has that changed?). Palm Pre doesn't even propertly support imap yet

Which mobile solution offers the best pim? For me, my favorite was palm OS, but I don't remember palm being compatible with gmail's exchange calendar and contacts.

Thanks
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    I love my 800W for email.. I am doing 2 accounts.. ONE is IMAP and the other is SYNC'd to an exchange server and my contacts, appointments etc come on the phone and on my multiple desktops!
    I am officially sticking with the Pre for good. The more I used it the more I realized I would just be completely unhappy going back to the 800w. This is even with the Pre's inadequacies. Basically, after using this phone for a month, the features that it had outweighed the features that it was lacking.

Plus the potential that it has seems to be enormous. Not to mention the developer community seems to be alive and kicking even without the official release of the sdk. So far I have only installed 1 homebrew app on my phone but it was not hard to figure out at all. I think that the developer community could even grow large enough to try and rival xda but that might be a stretch.

Overall I am satisfied with the Pre and am going to be patient with the development of this phone. In the back of my mind I still am concerned that Palm will just forget like they did with so many other phones but that would be the end of Palm. One thing I will throw out there is that if you heavily (let me stress heavily) depend on your phone as a business tool with your primary uses being email and calendar items, then this phone is not yet for you. I would stick with windows mobile and wait until this phone is farther along. Luckily for me I don't heavily depend on my phone for business.

That is my 2 cents and if anyone would like to know more specifics just let me know. I thank everyone that helped me along the way with my 800w. It has taught me a lot. I hope to catch some of you on the flip side owning a Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by bpdamas View Post
    One thing I will throw out there is that if you heavily (let me stress heavily) depend on your phone as a business tool with your primary uses being email and calendar items, then this phone is not yet for you. I would stick with windows mobile and wait until this phone is farther along. Luckily for me I don't heavily depend on my phone for business.
    Personally I think PalmOS is a better choice for heavy email & Calendar use.
    Personally I think PalmOS is a better choice for heavy email & Calendar use.
    I would completely agree......for now.
    If it's just about e-mail and calendar, I think the Blackberry (models with a hard qwerty) wins.
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    yea.. agendus which I used on palm os is the best program to date. agendus on WM is horrible!
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    If it's just about e-mail and calendar, I think the Blackberry (models with a hard qwerty) wins.
    It won.

I just got my 4th 800w replaced (backup) and promptly moved my and my partners pda phones (HTC Touch and 755) to BB Tours.

I just got fed up with stuff not working, my one partner never texting me because he can't type w/o a keyboar, this list goes on.......

I've had mine for 4 days now and although it has its flaws, it is a damn nice unit.
    Last edited by jabo; 08/17/2009 at 01:26 AM. Reason: omission
    Not unless you pay for a BES account.
    Not unless you pay for a BES account.
    Even apart from having a BES account, the Blackberry is simply more stable than any WM device. Can't do nearly as much as most WM devices, but for a dedicated business e-mail, calendar device it's the most reliable. Because it rarely ever needs a soft reset. And I don't think I've ever hard reset any Blackberry I've ever had, even before the Curve models. With WM devices, even running them stock you have to soft reset regularly, or at best they get sluggish.

Different devices have different strengths and weaknesses.
    spot on!
    Fetures and options are nice, but only when they work (or end up nor breaking something elde)
    Even apart from having a BES account, the Blackberry is simply more stable than any WM device. Can't do nearly as much as most WM devices, but for a dedicated business e-mail, calendar device it's the most reliable. Because it rarely ever needs a soft reset. And I don't think I've ever hard reset any Blackberry I've ever had, even before the Curve models. With WM devices, even running them stock you have to soft reset regularly, or at best they get sluggish.

Different devices have different strengths and weaknesses.
    I have had to reset my BB on occaison, not nearly as much as my PalmOS devices. For non BES accounts, the BB email client is not as functional as Chattermail on PalmOS. I think the built-in PalmOS Calendar is somewhat better than the BB one but the 3rd party Calendar apps available on PalmOS are much better.

As for WM, I have never used it. However, it appears to lack a decent email client, certainly one in the Chattermail class.
    I have had to reset my BB on occaison, not nearly as much as my PalmOS devices. For non BES accounts, the BB email client is not as functional as Chattermail on PalmOS. I think the built-in PalmOS Calendar is somewhat better than the BB one but the 3rd party Calendar apps available on PalmOS are much better.

As for WM, I have never used it. However, it appears to lack a decent email client, certainly one in the Chattermail class.
    OK, we had a small misunderstanding. I was thinking more in regards to WM, but you're talking about Palm OS. My mistake, it's been over a month since this thread last had some life and I didn't remember your earlier statements.

ChatterEmail appears to have been a decent enough app, but it was an add on. So saying the BB is not as good without BES is similar to saying Palm OS is not as good without ChatterEmail.

WM can sync continuously with Exchange, POP or IMAP accounts. I'm not seeing what ChatterEmail can do that puts it in a special class. Although, there are plenty of additional WM mail clients that could be used on a WM device. Most people find the stock mail client to be sufficient.

ChatterEmail is on the way out though, so it's not like that is still a viable option.

When I had Palm OS devices, I used Snappermail, but once I got on WM I didn't have a need for any mail app beyond what comes built in.
    Darnell, I hear what you're saying, but I will say that after a weeks observation (admittedly not a lot of time), BES seems to be better/faster tha Activesync. Cant speak for Chattermail or Good though.
    For the few tasks it can do, I think Blackberries are just faster period than any WM device I've ever used.
    ChatterEmail appears to have been a decent enough app, but it was an add on. So saying the BB is not as good without BES is similar to saying Palm OS is not as good without ChatterEmail.

WM can sync continuously with Exchange, POP or IMAP accounts. I'm not seeing what ChatterEmail can do that puts it in a special class. Although, there are plenty of additional WM mail clients that could be used on a WM device. Most people find the stock mail client to be sufficient.

ChatterEmail is on the way out though, so it's not like that is still a viable option.
    A BES account typically requires a more expensive data plan from your cellphone provider and a more expensive plan from your email provider. The additional costs can easily add up to at least $30 a month. Chattermail provided push email from many free IMAP accounts including gmail (any that support the IMAP IDLE protocol). The stock email client on WM doesn't support IMAP idle, it can provide push email from an Exchange account though (which would typically cost at least $9 a month). I know there are other email clients on WM that can provide this functionality, but they don't seem to have attracted the same following that chattermail did which leaves me wondering how good they really are.

You are correct that Chattermail is on its way out along with PalmOS itself. I am still waiting for a satisfactory replacement.
    A BES account typically requires a more expensive data plan from your cellphone provider and a more expensive plan from your email provider. The additional costs can easily add up to at least $30 a month. Chattermail provided push email from many free IMAP accounts including gmail (any that support the IMAP IDLE protocol). The stock email client on WM doesn't support IMAP idle, it can provide push email from an Exchange account though (which would typically cost at least $9 a month). I know there are other email clients on WM that can provide this functionality, but they don't seem to have attracted the same following that chattermail did which leaves me wondering how good they really are.

You are correct that Chattermail is on its way out along with PalmOS itself. I am still waiting for a satisfactory replacement.
    The cost is related to the target customer base. Many corporate customers are already using Exchange. So they'd get BES to work with that or hook right in with WM. For that customer base the monthly fee is nominal.

The guy who was the developer for Chattermail apparently left Palm. So I don't know what they're going to come up with for webOS. But I would think they're trying to come up with something. They have not made a webOS device devoted to business customers yet, but I would expect they're working on it.
    But I would think they're trying to come up with something. They have not made a webOS device devoted to business customers yet, but I would expect they're working on it.
    Yea.....right around the time they push out that rom upgrade with all of the fixes for the 8ooW.

I do hope ypu're right, but I have lost all faith in Palm.
    The cost is related to the target customer base. Many corporate customers are already using Exchange. So they'd get BES to work with that or hook right in with WM. For that customer base the monthly fee is nominal.

The guy who was the developer for Chattermail apparently left Palm. So I don't know what they're going to come up with for webOS. But I would think they're trying to come up with something. They have not made a webOS device devoted to business customers yet, but I would expect they're working on it.
    As a corporate email and calendar device, the Blackberry is with out question the best choice. However, for many people including me it isn't really a choice at all. For my employer every corporate email device is a Blackberry connected to a BES account. Nothing else is permitted to connect to the corporate email servers.

OTOH for my personal use, Chattermail on PalmOS seems a whole lot better for email.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast