Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 91
  1. #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    They did, its called the Palm Treo Pro. Palm contributed the name on the box and probably the box too.
    I thought that till I handled the Snap.

    I think Palm had a larger role on the aesthetics on the Pro than previously thought. If not than HTC must have forgotten what they've learned on the Treo Pro and/or were just drunk when they made it, because it's not nearly as elegant.

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  2. #42  
    I cannot imagine going back to my old 800w after using the Pre. Sure there are some good browsers for WM, dare I say better? but the simplicity of using the Pre, and the excitement of hacking and SSH-ing into the phone to enable new features is truly something i marvel at. The Pre is going to push the bounds of what a Smartphone can do.

    The 800w will remain the ******* child of the Treo Family, If if was sticking with WM i'd pay for a CDMA Treo Pro.
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

    Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

    Twittering about
  3. #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    They did, its called the Palm Treo Pro. Palm contributed the name on the box and probably the box too.
    And don't forget the Pro may have a Palm lock to keep the ROM from being flashed, that is harder to crack than an HTC lock. At least the 1.04 update program may provide a means to overcome that.
  4. #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    I thought that till I handled the Snap.

    I think Palm had a larger role on the aesthetics on the Pro than previously thought. If not than HTC must have forgotten what they've learned on the Treo Pro and/or were just drunk when they made it, because it's not nearly as elegant.
    I believe the Snap is a low cost WM Standard device. I was being a little unfair to Palm though. They clearly specified the 3.5mm audio jack and the button layout.
  5. #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by bigredgpk View Post
    I cannot imagine going back to my old 800w after using the Pre. Sure there are some good browsers for WM, dare I say better? but the simplicity of using the Pre, and the excitement of hacking and SSH-ing into the phone to enable new features is truly something i marvel at. The Pre is going to push the bounds of what a Smartphone can do.
    Judging by some of the threads I have been reading, I would not describe using the Pre as simple. I think WM is probably simpler for a PalmOS user to master and it does at least have fully featured PIM software with both EAS and desktop sync. If it had a better email client I would consider switching from PalmOS.

    As for hacking, all that SSH talk in one of the threads reminded me of configuring WinCVS to checkout source code from a Unix server at work to my PC. From the Unix hacking perspective, the iPhone and Android are just as or more interesting.
    Last edited by ADGrant; 06/16/2009 at 05:24 AM.
  6. #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    You'd think that but HTC has its faults too. Not everything they put their name on is gold.

    Their new Sprint Snap front qwerty has great "guts" (chipset, processor, radios, speaker, screen) but the keyboard is poor and the overall feel for the device is cheap.

    Quality feel between a the Treo Pro (manufactured by HTC), 800w amd Sprint Snap is night/day with the former two way ahead in keyboard design and feel.

    PocketNow also didn't care too much for the GSM version for similar reasons.

    http://www.wmexperts.com/sprint-htc-snap-hands

    HTC Snap (HTC Maple 100) - Review
    I posted a bit hastily.
    You are correct. I know HTC put out the Treo Pro (w/ a very average to below average keyboard at best). What I am getting at is that if they ever put out a decent device with a front keyboard that is really usable (I love the 800w's keyboard, just not some of its quirks) and with cookable ROM's, for me, that would be the real game changer.

    Maybe I'm way off base here, but after having so many phones (kyocera 6035, 7135 / palm 650,700wx, htc mogul, htc touch, 800w), I found out that the real must-have for me is the front Keyboard. A GOOD front keyboard.
    I have to believe that this is important for a lot of people from what I read in the forums.

    Now, (cookable roms or not) I want the friggin' company that sells the phone to update it's rom's to get out the bugs. But at least if they decide to abandon the phone prematurely (ala 800W), I at least have a fighting chance at keeping the phone useful for a couple of years if someone like Hannip or Shadowmite or Ebag et al end up buying the phone and taking up the cause.
  7. #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by jabo View Post
    What I am getting at is that if they ever put out a decent device with a front keyboard that is really usable (I love the 800w's keyboard, just not some of its quirks) and with cookable ROM's, for me, that would be the real game changer.
    ...
    ...I at least have a fighting chance at keeping the phone useful for a couple of years if someone like Hannip or Shadowmite or Ebag et al end up buying the phone and taking up the cause.
    That's how it used to be for Treos. They all had good keyboards (Treo 600 and those after it till the Treo Pro). There were ROM cooks who made up all kinds of cool ROMs as well. The Treos prior to the 800w and Treo Pro have custom ROMs and folks who use them are pretty happy to have made their already good devices even better. There's a chance still that some may come for the Treo Pro, but obviously that does not have one of the better keyboards.
  8. #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    That's how it used to be for Treos....
    Ah, reminiscing about the days with good old Shadowmite....

    My understanding is that after (or more like, during) the days of the 650, Palm really started to lock down the ROM and its components. Remember the hassles they started giving Shadowmite? Not that you couldn't get roms, but more that their availibility was exceptionally limited (and considered to be a legal gray area) when compared to the HTC stuff.

    What I would like to see is a robust comunity out there, like XDA or PPC Geeks for my Treo.
  9. #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    That's how it used to be for Treos. They all had good keyboards (Treo 600 and those after it till the Treo Pro). There were ROM cooks who made up all kinds of cool ROMs as well. The Treos prior to the 800w and Treo Pro have custom ROMs and folks who use them are pretty happy to have made their already good devices even better. There's a chance still that some may come for the Treo Pro, but obviously that does not have one of the better keyboards.
    Actually the Treo Pro keyboard is pretty good. It is based on the Centro idea but not the exact keyboard.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

    Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

    Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
  10. #50  
    Quote Originally Posted by jabo View Post
    Remember the hassles they started giving Shadowmite?
    And even now Shadowmite won't post the old ROMs himself on his site after Palm contacted him. Palm shot what was a cool feature in the foot. While people who flip ROMs won't nessisarily buy a new device tomorrow, they certainly are brand loyalists and advocates. I don't have plans to get a Touch Pro 2 given I enjoy the Touch Pro and really want to be blown away next time I upgrade, but my own enjoyment causes me to tell my friends about what? The Touch Pro. I even recommend they get the Touch Pro 2 just because it's going to have some new features. HTC has allowed customization to grow their brand.

    Notice how often Palm has spoken of the "deveoper community" in marketing the Pre. They know 3rd party development can make a good device even better.

    Quote Originally Posted by VibrantRedGT View Post
    Actually the Treo Pro keyboard is pretty good. It is based on the Centro idea but not the exact keyboard.
    I've had a chance to handle it. It looks like the Centro keyboard, but the buttons are a little harder. Still, it's no 800w or T650 keyboard. And the Treo Pro almost felt "too small" to me when trying to handle it for typing.
  11. #51  
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    And even now Shadowmite won't post the old ROMs himself on his site after Palm contacted him. Palm shot what was a cool feature in the foot....Notice how often Palm has spoken of the "deveoper community" in marketing the Pre. They know 3rd party development can make a good device even better.
    Yea, they want lots of developers, as long as they stay the away from the ROM. And that's ok, as long as the device has a fully-baked ( or at least MAINLY baked) ROM. Which has not been the case with the last what? 5 Treo's?

    I know I'm treading into some subjective waters here, but I've seen the posts from a lot of the people on this thread. Many of their suggestions (reg edits etc...) have helped me from throwing some of my devices against the wall in frustration
    Last edited by jabo; 06/16/2009 at 09:10 PM. Reason: addition of a pronoun
  12. #52  
    Quote Originally Posted by jabo View Post
    Yea, they want lots of developers, as long as they stay the away from the ROM. And that's ok, as long as the device has a fully-baked ( or at least MAINLY baked) ROM. Which has not been the case with the last what? 5 Treo's?
    Even if the stock ROM is solid, we've seen in the hands of the "development community" it can be made even better.

    I'm sure just like with WM, Palm will have newer versions of webOS in newer devices. Folks with older devices will sit around hoping for Palm to give them an update. A strong developer community that is not being hassled about their efforts can provide those updates to the geeks who want to try a later version out on their older device. It puts all the liability on the device owner because if they break it the device maker does not have to deal with issues caused by a bad ROM and it allows the device maker the opportunity to see how an update might go in real world considitions. And if the device maker does not want to keep providing updates for the old stuff, as we've already discussed it gives device owners a means to stay current.

    I used the Touch Pro stock ROM happily for months, I found it to be solid for me. But the custom ROMs have helped me get some cool things like Rhodium Manila and WM 6.5. Great additions I'd never expect HTC to provide updates for. There have been many threads in this 800w forum asking about whether the 800w will ever get WM 6.5. If Palm allowed the developers to work without hassles and easily change the ROM there would already be WM 6.5 ROMs for the 800w. Heck, one of them might have even been good enough for me to have kept my 800w and maybe never have moved to a Touch Pro. Which would mean I'd still have Treos on my mind, but instead I'm looking at devices made by other companeis and my experiences with Palm just leave me happy we parted ways. I'm saying what you're saying, but you're able to do it with less words .

    I know I'm treading into some subjective waters here, but I've seen the posts from a lot of the people on this thread. Many of their suggestions (reg edits etc...) have helped me from throwing some of my devices against the wall in frustration
    Yea this site is a big help when have problems with a device.

    And I've found with custom ROMs, there are improvements that can be made at the ROM level, that simply cannot be mirrored via registry edits. Even something like pagepool size can provide tons of benefit, that can't be done via the registry.
  13.    #53  
    Update: Bought the iPhone 3GS and I will not be returning to Palm. Peace...and humptyness forever.
  14. #54  
    Quote Originally Posted by kaptainchump View Post
    Update: Bought the iPhone 3GS and I will not be returning to Palm. Peace...and humptyness forever.
    Happy trails Kaptainchump, you will be missed.

    The world of Apple is a little too locked down (actually a lot too locked down) for me, but I hope you enjoy your new iPhone.
  15. #55  
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    Happy trails Kaptainchump, you will be missed.

    The world of Apple is a little too locked down (actually a lot too locked down) for me.
    Yep... And sans keyboard is not for me, either...
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

    eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

    DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
  16. #56  
    i bought the pre and the hype on opening day, very frustrated with the sync issues with exchange server. The Pre has a great picture and the slide function was very cool, but the phone felt very cheap. I have returned the Pre not enough patience for the upgrades. I am now back with the block aka 800w. I am working with Sprint now to get the 800w swapped out for a Palm Pro as this is my 4th 800w.....
  17.    #57  
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    Happy trails Kaptainchump, you will be missed.

    The world of Apple is a little too locked down (actually a lot too locked down) for me, but I hope you enjoy your new iPhone.
    Thanks
  18. #58  
    I too have been playing with the new iPhone. I am the only at work clinging onto Windows Mobile. Pandora actually works great, shazaam is great, the free app store is sick, the camera is stunning and more.

    Then there is that keyboard thing. So the first day I played with the Bosses phone. Made lots of mistakes. On day 3 I now know where everything is placed. Flipping the phone landscape keyboard is real easy to use. Moral is I can adapt to any keyboard. Don't own an iPhone but when the boss says GO (on his dime) I will pull the trigger.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

    Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

    Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
  19.    #59  
    Quote Originally Posted by VibrantRedGT View Post
    I too have been playing with the new iPhone. I am the only at work clinging onto Windows Mobile. Pandora actually works great, shazaam is great, the free app store is sick, the camera is stunning and more.

    Then there is that keyboard thing. So the first day I played with the Bosses phone. Made lots of mistakes. On day 3 I now know where everything is placed. Flipping the phone landscape keyboard is real easy to use. Moral is I can adapt to any keyboard. Don't own an iPhone but when the boss says GO (on his dime) I will pull the trigger.
    I felt the same way about the keybord at first, but now I type pretty fast on it. I will never be as fast as I was on my 800w, but I'm willing to give that up for all the iPhone has to offer.

    Some people complain about the app store being locked down, but here's the thing:
    I would rather have a locked down app store with the possibility of an unlock hack than have a device that developers have somewhat abandoned. There doesn't seem to be anything new or fresh coming out for the windows mobile platform. I am a fan of how palm OS and windows mobile handle the basic pim functions, but the iPhone comes dangerously close.

    p.s. email on the iphone is friggin amazing an absolutely unbeatable at the current time.

    I hope I'm coming off as a fan of all devices who can provide a fair perspective on the iPhone-not a fanboy.

    I can't wait for the unlock hack to come out for this thing so I can start tinkering .

    /end disconnected spewing of thoughts
  20. #60  
    Quote Originally Posted by kaptainchump View Post
    There doesn't seem to be anything new or fresh coming out for the windows mobile platform.
    Shame you didn't get one of the newer WM devices that developers are making customized ROMs for. I'm seeing great new things being made for WM and new builds of WM 6.5 weekly and sometimes daily.

    And I agree, soft qwerty is cool if you can adjust to it. I also like with WM that there are so many various soft qwerty options available.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions