1.    #1  
    My family works together and i handle all of the cell phones. My wife, my father and i all have 800w's. My fathers has bit the dust and i am trying to decide what to get him (and what i will eventually upgrade to). The biggest problems we had with the 800w are:

1) Battery life - Last about 6 hours with little use
    2) Low Ringer Volume (Can't hear the phone ring when it's in the case)
    3) Stability - Crashes roughly 3 times per day, requiring a soft reset, with no third party apps installed.

I know not all 800w users have had these issues, but we have experienced them on all three of our units. Other than these issues, we all like the 800w. It looks like the battery life may not be an issue with the pro, with the increase in battery size. Can any other 800w users who had similar problems and went to the pro comment on if the pro has resolved these issues (or at least somewhat improved them)?

Also, does skyfire work on the pro?

BTW. . I got all three of these 800w's the first week that they came out, and i have no interest in being an early adopter of the pre.

Thanks
    Treo 800w - Love the Phone Can Tolerate the Battery
    Quote Originally Posted by bionicman97 View Post
    My family works together and i handle all of the cell phones. My wife, my father and i all have 800w's. My fathers has bit the dust and i am trying to decide what to get him (and what i will eventually upgrade to). The biggest problems we had with the 800w are:

3) Stability - Crashes roughly 3 times per day, requiring a soft reset, with no third party apps installed.

I know not all 800w users have had these issues, but we have experienced them on all three of our units. Other than these issues, we all like the 800w. It looks like the battery life may not be an issue with the pro, with the increase in battery size. Can any other 800w users who had similar problems and went to the pro comment on if the pro has resolved these issues (or at least somewhat improved them)?

BTW. . I got all three of these 800w's the first week that they came out, and i have no interest in being an early adopter of the pre.

Thanks
    Take the plunge.
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
    Quote Originally Posted by bionicman97 View Post

Thanks
    Stop considering you're the only 800w user left just kidding I liked the 800 for a while went to the touch pro missed the Treo form factor went back to the 800 could not stand it But I Love the Pro
    I tried the 800W but returned it before the end of my 30 day trial. Overall I really liked it, but two things were worrisome: 1) sound quality wasn't great; I had trouble understanding people on the other end, and 2) the phone would mysteriously come out of keylock all by itself.

Anyway, I went back to my old phone for awhile and am now nearing the end of my 30 day trial with the Treo Pro. I like it and will keep it.

To answer your questions:

1) Battery Life - I charge mine overnight and the charge lasts all day. I don't make many calls, but I do use the internet and texting quite a bit during the day.

2) Ringer Volume - I keep mine in my jeans pocket and it's plenty loud. I've never missed a call due to not hearing the ringer.

3) Stability - no crashes so far. I did have one problem at a downtown hotel where it wouldn't make/receive calls, but data and texting worked fine. I did a soft reset and calls started working again.

4) Skyfire - I tried it on my 800W and decided I don't like Skyfire on a touch-screen phone, so I haven't tried it on the Pro.

I think the keyboard on the 800W was better than on the Pro, but I'm getting used to it.
    you should switch over to the pro only if yu can somehow manage to get it for free. as for your problems:

try the registry edits to increase ringer volume. ill post when i get home. the crashes try a hard reset? if youre running it stock it shouldnt really matter if your apps are deleted. lastly for the battery try a drain from 100% and then charge it up through the computer connection.

i recently switched from the 800w and im sort of missing how it feels and what it does but to be honest you cant go wrong with either.
    Get rid of those horrid 800's. Your family will love you a little more for it. We've all been therea, jump, jump now.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    I had a wonderful little 800w for quite some time with never a problem; sold it to a friend who has no problems with it either. But from the sounds of the forums, that was unusual I never had an issue with volume, but I did with battery life. That will surely be resolved in a Pro with the much larger battery.

But all things considered, since you sound like you need replace your [defective] 800w's anyway, the Treo Pro is a good alternative.
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    I got the 800w when it first came out as well and had the same problems you had. I fixed the quite ringer with a reg hack but the crashing drove me nuts! I had no confidence in my 800w. I switched to the Pro a couple of weeks ago and I am very happy with it.

My Treo Pro is stable. I got used to the keyboard very quickly. I did miss the grippy texture of the 800w but I got this Innocase II from Seidio and it now feels right in my hand. I sorta miss the Treo dialer and threaded messaging from the 800w but not enough to install the cabs that are floating around the forums. My only complaint about the Treo Pro after 3 weeks is that the in-call volume is to high. I'm searching for a solution to that now.

Go for it Bionic!
    Global Posts
    227 Global Posts
    Do it.