Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Opera Mobile - Download

I've tried it out on my HTC Diamond and it looks great (although obviously buggy and laggy), very smooth because it is now GPU accelerated with OpenGL; but I'd like to know how it's running on the Sprint Treo Pro.

Two main questions:
    1) Does it run on the Treo Pro?
    2) Does the OpenGL acceleration work on the Treo Pro?
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    I downloaded the link this morning. I'm not sure if my download link got broken, but it said that the install was unsuccessful...i'll continue trying

EDIT: ok, it's loaded now. i can't speak to the OpenGL, but i can say that it's running. What's the best way to test for OpenGL? i'm a noob
    Last edited by 2WYKD; 06/08/2009 at 10:18 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2WYKD View Post
    I downloaded the link this morning. I'm not sure if my download link got broken, but it said that the install was unsuccessful...i'll continue trying

EDIT: ok, it's loaded now. i can't speak to the OpenGL, but i can say that it's running. What's the best way to test for OpenGL? i'm a noob
    try downloading it again, and if it fail again hit retry that is on bottom left. good luck
  4.    #4  
    You'll notice the OpenGL acceleration during zooming. When you double tap to zoom in, there is a second or so delay before it re-renders the screen to make everything sharp and readable again...

During that delay, if there is no OpenGL acceleration, the zoomed text should look very pixelated and jagged looking.

But if it is being accelerated, the zoomed text should look smooth and blurry during the delay, instead of sharp and jagged.
    Global Posts
    257 Global Posts
    So-- do you guys recommend it for the Pro? I've been using Iris since I've had it, but getting a little frustrated with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by decalex View Post
    So-- do you guys recommend it for the Pro? I've been using Iris since I've had it, but getting a little frustrated with it.
    I LOVE Opera Mobile. :-)

UPDATE:

I just installed on the Treo Pro and it runs like a dream. Page load was FAST, zoom was smooth and had the expected OpenGL-accelerated look. I'm liking what I see so far.

They need to finish this so I can buy it!!!
    Last edited by gksmithlcw; 06/08/2009 at 02:24 PM.
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
  7.    #7  
    I love Opera 9.5 on my Diamond; just the fact that it is a *real* web browser, not a chopped up image reader like Opera Mini and Skyfire.

We'll see how it runs on the Treo Pro. If the Treo Pro supports the 9.7 version's OpenGL acceleration then I will probably be sold on it for that device as well, assuming the RAM requirements aren't too bad (which they are borderline currently).
    Quote Originally Posted by decalex View Post
    Been using it for a few days now.

It does some things well, but one issue is the memory requirement--it's huge. On a STP, it can tax the low amount of RAM and cause some hangups/crashes here and there.

For that reason I still prefer Skyfire.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post

It does some things well, but one issue is the memory requirement--it's huge. On a STP, it can tax the low amount of RAM and cause some hangups/crashes here and there.

Mal, is Skyfire any FASTER and EASIER ON THE BATTERY then it was prior to full release? I always thought it had potential but it was just so slow and clunky...
    Grant Smith

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
    Quote Originally Posted by gksmithlcw View Post
    Mal, is Skyfire any FASTER and EASIER ON THE BATTERY then it was prior to full release? I always thought it had potential but it was just so slow and clunky...
    I consider 1.x to be a real improvement over previous versions in both regards.

It's really a toss up as Opera 9.7 will be really awesome on next-gen devices (1ghz, 256+mb RAM), but on the Treo Pro I find that it is a bit too advanced in requirements/resources. Best to try out both and see which is better currently (hey, both are free and we have tons of ROM space!)

Opera's kinetic scrolling is better than Skyfire's as are the menus.

But I like the proxy-rendering quality and the zoom-via-double click on the d-pad better on Skyfire

I am going to have to disagree with you on RAM being the reason not to switch. I think switching IS the right answer.

Here is why... Before updating I used to get out of mem message all the time in Opera unless I soft reset and ran no other programs. After updating to the new version I still got the same results. I was getting ready to throw in the towel and switch to a Touch Pro. However then I decided to test it with Turbo Preview mode turned on. I am gaining 10MB of RAM on my AllTel Treo Pro when using the preview mode. My buddy on STP gains 6MB.

It appears that the preview mode compresses the images on a site giving the pictures a bit more of a compressed look. However they serve their purpose. IMHO The increased speed and RAM is well worth the small lost in picture quality.

Here is how I tested my RAM usage on my Treo with Opera.
    1. Reset the Phone
    2. Launch Opera (do not enable Turbo yet)
    3. Navigate to this Graphic Heavy page HERE
    4. Be sure to scroll to the bottom of the page and make sure all pictures load
    5. Check you RAM Usage (Setting > system > memory)
    6. Go back in to Opera and enable Turbo (^ > Settings > Advanced > enable Opera Turbo)
    7. Exit Opera (don't just minimize)
    8. Check your RAM
    9. Go back in to Opera and go to the same Web Page again HERE
    10. Check your RAM again:

I think you will have the same results. A Faster Opera and More Available RAM.

I would be interested to hear other people opinion on this as well as other ways to keep more Program RAM available. I never had RAM issues with my GSM Treo Pro, but now that I am in bed with AllTel for the next 2 years I need every little bit of help I can get in the area of RAM conservation.

Thanks

-D
    how do I get opera mobile to go to the ACTUAL web page instead of the mobile versions?

I type cnn.com and it goes to m.cnn.com

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CrozB View Post
    I am going to have to disagree with you on RAM being the reason not to switch. I think switching IS the right answer.

...I decided to test it with Turbo Preview mode turned on. I am gaining 10MB of RAM
    This is true but...

The quality degradation in graphic images is worse than Skyfire. The font rendering (imo) is not as clear and streaming media doesn't seem to work in "Turbo" mode.

All this begs the question of why then use Opera Turbo over Skyfire?

The major benefit to Opera is the ability to *not* use a proxy (security, rendering, no reformating) and that is what has issues on STP.
    This is true but...

The quality degradation in graphic images is worse than Skyfire. The font rendering (imo) is not as clear and streaming media doesn't seem to work in "Turbo" mode.

All this begs the question of why then use Opera Turbo over Skyfire?

The major benefit to Opera is the ability to *not* use a proxy (security, rendering, no reformating) and that is what has issues on STP.
    Opera appears to be MUCH faster with both page loads and when zooming or scrolling around a page.
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny View Post
    Opera appears to be MUCH faster with both page loads and when zooming or scrolling around a page.
    Can't say I've noticed much difference in speed between the two.

As mentioned earlier, kinetic scrolling is better with Opera, but I find finger scrolling on a 2.4" square screen a bit more work than necessary.

I also think Skyfire's "smart text wrap" works better for zooming on a page.

End of the day, its all personal preference anyways. I think Opera 9.7 will be amazing on the Touch Pro 2 and higher devices, but for the Treo Pro I'm just not convinced. It is much better than 9.5 though, which I never cared for period.

Side Note: I find it amazing that a new company like Skyfire at version 1.x can be competing with Opera who has been doing this a lot longer.
    Last edited by Malatesta; 06/09/2009 at 01:09 PM.

Side Note: I find it amazing that a new company like Skyfire at version 1.x can be competing with Opera who has been doing this a lot longer.
    I do agree with you there and that is certainly a testament to the talent at Skyfire. :-)
    Grant Smith

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

As mentioned earlier, kinetic scrolling is better with Opera, but I find finger scrolling on a 2.4" square screen a bit more work than necessary.

End of the day, its all personal preference anyways. I think Opera 9.7 will be amazing on the Touch Pro 2 and higher devices, but for the Treo Pro I'm just not convinced. It is much better than 9.5 though, which I never cared for period.

IRIS has the best text wrap features and has the most options.

You have to enable text reflow through the registry though.

I ONLY USE IRIS NOW!

Good point on Skyfire.
    On another note, can you talk about battery life when using these browsers on the STP with the 3500mAh battery?
    I downloaded these browsers for the Sprint Touch Pro but never use them because they can drain 30% of the battery in one hour of use...
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny View Post
    Good point on Skyfire.
    On another note, can you talk about battery life when using these browsers on the STP with the 3500mAh battery?
    I downloaded these browsers for the Sprint Touch Pro but never use them because they can drain 30% of the battery in one hour of use...
    in short, it's very good and you don't notice a massive hit

i'll do a more in depth test later this week as I'm busy putting the Sprint Snap through its paces...

Global Posts
    257 Global Posts
    I've tried 9.7 out for a couple days now-- It's aesthetically very pleasing and I love the full screen, but the biggest negative, imo, is how it's rendering most of my google pages. I use most of the google services-- gmail, gdocs, gtalk, reader, tasks, calendar..etc. Gmail especially, I can't get to pull up as well as on Iris. Let me know if anyone has any suggestions.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast