1.    #1  
    Hi guys and girls:

I'm just wondering how long do you think it will take to see Web OS running in the Treo PRO?
    Last edited by alagares; 06/07/2009 at 01:48 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by alagares View Post
    Hi guys and girls:

I'm just wondering how long do you think it will take to see Web OS running in the Treo PRO?
    I wouldn't expect an official WebOS - Pro release.

However, if WebOS is well-received by the community I wouldn't be surprised if some crafty hackers find a way to make it happen.

Of course, we need to get a usable ROM cooker going to make such a thing happen...
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    I've seen references to a future WebOS device that is more Pro-like in appearance, though it seems closer to a Centro.
  4.    #4  
    I'm really hoping to see WebOS hacked ASAP. I would be more than happy to remove WinMO from my device.

Mods can you change the title of my topic? I already did it in advanced editing but it did not change. It should read "How long until we see WebOS hit the PRO"
    WebOS on the Treo Pro would be the schiz, but it will never happen. The Pixie, which shows up around Christmas will be the closest thing to the Treo Pro.
    Treo Pro with palm?

One word: Never.
    Handhelds
    Zire 31-> Zire 72s-> T|X

Phones:
    Nokia 5160-> Nokia 3100-> Nokia 3220-> Treo 650 Unlocked(modded ROM)-> Treo 680 Unlocked(modded ROM #8 within 15 minutes of receiving the box)-> Treo Pro(hacked as well)
    I have to agree with "never"
    certainly not from Palm

If it's mod-able (or hack-able) to get WebOS (or even PalmOS) on a pro I'd do it
    I think I'd rather a Web-OS pro than pre (hard to see never have used either)
    (but, there are BOUND to be hardware issues, like the different type of touchscreen.)

I'm pretty sure Palm has said keeping Palm-WinMo devices, so the next gen pro won't be PalmOS either, but as many people have mentioned, there is the pixie/castle/oes to look out for...
  8.    #8  
    I never meant we were going to see WebOS for the Treo Pro coming directly from Palm headquarters. I meant as a hack and by the looks of this it may happen sooner than I thought:

http :// predev.wikidot.com / webos-hacking
    I wouldn't get your hopes up.

Enabling a backdoor and getting console mode on one phone is really nothing like porting an entire OS onto different hardware. If there was already a decent linux port running on a Treo Pro, I think the odds would go up, but still it's a longshot given the rather small community of Treo Pro owners/hackers.
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    The screen on the Pro is way too small to be able to use WebOS effectively.
    It might not be as bad as you think, the rumored second WebOS device has a 2.63" diagonal screen, while the Treo Pro has a 2.5" screen so pretty close.

But the resolution is lower, not enough memory and not enough speed; it definitely wouldn't be ideal.
    Not to mention the fact that WebOS requires a different type of touchscreen technology then what the Pro has to offer...
    Grant Smith

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
    True, but it's primarily the multitouch that would be problematic (how many gestures are like that?)

It's all moot anyways... never happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by zbop View Post
    It's all moot anyways... never happen.
    Indeed.
    Grant Smith

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

More likely that Palm will drop dead.
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbop View Post
    It might not be as bad as you think, the rumored second WebOS device has a 2.63" diagonal screen, while the Treo Pro has a 2.5" screen so pretty close.
    True, but I've heard people complaining that the cards are small on the Pre so I can see it being an issue on the EOS, assuming that the specs leaked are accurate.
    Quote Originally Posted by TazUk View Post
    True, but I've heard people complaining that the cards are small on the Pre so I can see it being an issue on the EOS, assuming that the specs leaked are accurate.
    I guess it depends on your frame of reference. I know for me, I have an STP with RealVGA and I can find many touchscreen targets that are roughly 1.5mm square, less than 1/4 the size of a key on the keyboard to give you an idea. And many of these targets cannot be navigated using the d-pad (i.e. Pandora, Slingplayer for example).

You could blame it on the developers, but there are far too many cases of this in WM that I could mention. In other words, "small" is a relative term, just sayin...
    Never.
    Web OS is more designed for screen navigation, yo have zero need fo the hardware shortcut keys of the traditional treo. That leaves only two main differences: the keyboard being slide out with the benefit of a larger screen, the OS.

The question should be posed the other way around, not web os on the Pro form factor, but a product with a much bigger demand (but stilll unlikely) a PRe form factor with Windows Mobile
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    The question should be posed the other way around, not web os on the Pro form factor, but a product with a much bigger demand (but stilll unlikely) a PRe form factor with Windows Mobile
    +1

That's what I've been asking for since the 700wx...
    Grant Smith

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

I'd more rather hope for Android. HTC already makes the G1 and upcoming G2 and they also make the Treo Pro. The Pro's processor is fast enough and seeing as Android runs lean the memory should be good as well.
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....