1.    #1  
    Today I showed up early to get a pre for my wife to score some extra points with her. I have the STP on my line. Here are my inicial thoughts:

The pre's internet is a thing of beauty, very fast and the larger screen makes it very iphoneish in ease. A much better experience browsing than WM. The browser is much snappier than the WM version. It really is a step in the right direction for palm devises and I hope WM can learn a thing or two from competition.

They have really polished up the pre's interface, quite cool with all the gestures and such.

Sprint Navigation and TV are updated software which seem to be nicer updated version.

App store is very much like iphone, WM needs this.

Call quality is on par with Pro, battery life seems ok so far, not quite as good as pro perhaps.

I hooked it up via usb and itunes thought it was an ipod and auto downloaded all drm free music on it, 6 gigs free to start.

Now, I haven't taken the pre away from the wife yet and will stay with the pro for these reasons:

1. she would kick me out

2. I am a power business user and things like voice dialing while driving, tethering with laptop, remote access to my server are important to me. Only WM has this.

3. Applications a plenty for WM, things like pocket informant pim, epocrates, live search from MS, etc.

4. I would really miss the today screen, I can see what the weather is, and all the info immediatelly when I turn it on, navigate easily to everything from there.

5. Of course MS designs its programs to talk with each other really nicely. So remote access, hotmail push, exchange is just nicer with pro imho.

The Pre is nice, very nice. It reminds me of an iphone with a keyboard and without a inflated at&t plan. I'll steal it from the wife to browse internet a little better, look up movies, etc. But my pro is the workhorse and my fav phone I've had.
    I believe #1 is more important that all of the others combined and multiplied by our national debt.
    Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
    Seems like the pre has a lot of the limitations that made me give my iphone to my wife and pick up a pro instead. Today screen is big for me, absolutely need that on whatever phone I will have. Also pre seems to lack notes functionality as robust as the treo pro, nor can they be synced from outlook (like the iphone). I have hundreds of those and can't dump them.
    How good is the one handed operation on the pre?
  4.    #4  
    Bclinger - you are right for sure!

doctj - you sound like you are like me. Yes today screen is important and definatelly not on Pre. yeah no notes sync on pre that I know of. One handed operation is good, except of course when zooming in while web browsing, requiring the 'pinch' for example. Yeah they really have designed it well for 1 handed operation. After messing around with it over the weekend, I was glad to take my pro to work today and I've noticed how well I like it once again I do miss the browser as I was browsing a site today, it truly is very nice on the pre compared to IE. Regards
  5.    #5  
    One more thing. I did have the iphone 2g and 3g and took both of them back each time returning to MinMo phones, 800w and the pro, so I know what you are talking about.
    Last edited by freshsmile; 06/08/2009 at 03:50 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by freshsmile View Post
    Today I showed up early to get a pre for my wife to score some extra points with her. I have the STP on my line. Here are my inicial thoughts:

The pre's internet is a thing of beauty, very fast and the larger screen makes it very iphoneish in ease. A much better experience browsing than WM. The browser is much snappier than the WM version. It really is a step in the right direction for palm devises and I hope WM can learn a thing or two from competition.

They have really polished up the pre's interface, quite cool with all the gestures and such.

Sprint Navigation and TV are updated software which seem to be nicer updated version.

App store is very much like iphone, WM needs this.

Call quality is on par with Pro, battery life seems ok so far, not quite as good as pro perhaps.

I hooked it up via usb and itunes thought it was an ipod and auto downloaded all drm free music on it, 6 gigs free to start.

Now, I haven't taken the pre away from the wife yet and will stay with the pro for these reasons:

1. she would kick me out

2. I am a power business user and things like voice dialing while driving, tethering with laptop, remote access to my server are important to me. Only WM has this.

3. Applications a plenty for WM, things like pocket informant pim, epocrates, live search from MS, etc.

4. I would really miss the today screen, I can see what the weather is, and all the info immediatelly when I turn it on, navigate easily to everything from there.

5. Of course MS designs its programs to talk with each other really nicely. So remote access, hotmail push, exchange is just nicer with pro imho.

The Pre is nice, very nice. It reminds me of an iphone with a keyboard and without a inflated at&t plan. I'll steal it from the wife to browse internet a little better, look up movies, etc. But my pro is the workhorse and my fav phone I've had.
    I have to ask....on #4, you mention seeing what the weather is, is that from the Today screen? Right now I have to go into internet, wait for it to load, then go to TWC. Is there something in the Today settings I'm missing?
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    he download a plug-in from a third party app. i don't know exactly which one but you can search today weather plug-in for windows mobile in Google or look at the What's on your today screen threads and find out what people have on their today screens that you might like as well.
    I did the weather plug-in for about 15 minutes - for me the calender is more important than the weather. I make extensive use of TodayAgenda and PhoneLog - at the end of the day, the Today screen is jammed full of entries.
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    I did the weather plug-in for about 15 minutes - for me the calender is more important than the weather. I make extensive use of TodayAgenda and PhoneLog - at the end of the day, the Today screen is jammed full of entries.
    Try Weatherbug Direct. Has an option to just have the current Temp in the task bar, no Today Plugin needed.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Try
    Weatherbug Direct. Has an option to just have the current Temp in the task bar, no Today Plugin needed.
    even though it wasn't meant for me thanks for the info on the weather bug.. I like. I have a pro but I actually liked the functionality of the 800 better. too bad it kept crashing on me.. i checked out the Pre and I cant leave my pro behind either.