1.    #1  
    I know it is no longer cutting edge, but I have loved using AvantGo to read the NY Times and Washington Post offline. I have been doing this since my old Palm III but have kept on using it with my various Treos (and now, my STP).

Yesterday, AvantGo announced (on my device only, not on their web page) that they are discontinuing their service on June 30.

What are some good replacements for AvantGo for Windows Mobile?

What I am looking for is offline reading of the NY Times, Washington Post, even WSJ (willing to pay for that). I know that this service is not as essential as it once was with mobile devices connected to the internet, but there are still times and places where it is nice/essential to have everything downloaded for offline reading. One is on a plane. Another for me is my work where cell signal is poor for all providers.
    Quote Originally Posted by jonathanuy View Post

Yesterday, AvantGo announced (on my device only, not on their web page) that they are discontinuing their service on June 30.
    What are some good replacements for AvantGo for Windows Mobile?

<SNIPS MADE>
    That's a bit of a bummer - I've been using Avantgo for years. Couldn't they just have stuck a few ads in?
    Yeah, and the "snac" _alternative_ they include the link to doesn't look promising, at least not for PalmOS.

I guess somewhat on the positive side I had gotten away from using it except for weather and a couple references. Still looking for something to handle that in an off-line state. Too bad they couldn't just leave us with a tool to let us put our own pages, downloaded from a computer, into the AvantGo app on the device.
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    I tried the "snacs" suggestion and ditched it right away. It's an annoying Java midlet that requires a continuous network connection (actually, it keeps connecting over and over) to get anything. Forget being able to read "offline". There are also far fewer sources available than with AvantGo.

Very sad - I enjoyed AvantGo for many years and used it daily.
    SunriseXP + Vademecum
    iSiloX+iSilo
    Last edited by palmdoc2005; 06/05/2009 at 09:51 AM.
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    I am also bummed to learn of this. I've used AvantGo daily for years. I really like the option of reading web content offline. I also liked that you had the option to sync via cable or over the air. I would typically sync over cable, but could go OTA if I was away from my desk.

If anyone knows of a suitable replacement with similar features, please chime in...
    Palm Pilot Professional --> TRGPro --> Treo 650 --> Centro (AT&T) + 4 Pixis on Sprint Family Plan
    Global Posts
    2 Global Posts
    I have been using Mobipocket for years for sites that had no channels in Avantgo (e.g. The Economist). Mobipocket has also the advantage that it's a nice e-book reader and its file format is widely used (Amazon's kindle uses it e.g.). Plus it has a separate software that let's you convert any html, pdf, or doc file in the mobipocket format. It is very easy to use and has pre-formatted news channels, but you can also plug in any RSS feed, however the format won't be as graphically pleasing.

The other solution is to use Pluckr in combination with Sunrise XP. The former is an e-book and news reader the latter an application to download and pre-format any content from the web. I have no experience with this software but I guess it's a little more work to set up, however Pluckr offers more viewing and customization options and Sunrise XP gives you the ability to convert any content you would normally be able to read in your browser into the Pluckr format for offline reading. Finally, both applications are open-source, so there's no danger they'll be discontinued like Avantgo.

More info:
    Mobipocket.com
    plkr.org
    sunrise.mobileread.com
    Last edited by sammysoul; 06/05/2009 at 05:13 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by sammysoul View Post
    The other solution is to use Pluckr in combination with Sunrise XP. The former is an e-book and news reader the latter an application to download and pre-format any content from the web. I have no experience with this software but I guess it's a little more work to set up, however Pluckr offers more viewing and customization options and Sunrise XP gives you the ability to convert any content you would normally be able to read in your browser into the Pluckr format for offline reading. Finally, both applications are open-source, so there's no danger they'll be discontinued like Avantgo.
    With SunriseXP you don't need Pluckr since it is a standalone Windows app. Just point it to the mobile website or RSS feed and you are good to go. It will fetch the pages manually or at scheduled intervals and save it in Plucker format for you.
    I used to do this and save all the Plucker files to a folder and then copy them over to my Palm Treo 680's SD card (I found this faster than syncing them over) - use either a card reader software or hardware
    Vademecum is the freeware WM Plucker compatible reader.
    Mobileread forums used to have a list of Avantgo channels for Plucker and they have some useful resources for Plucker:
    SunriseXP for newbies
    Avantgo exposed
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
  9.    #9  
    Well, I have tried several options, and nothing I have found for Windows Mobile will allow me to read complete NY Times articles off-line without a lot of manual set-up and maintenance. I want the simplicity of AvantGo when it comes to updating content.

For now, I am using SPB Insight for an RSS reader, but many articles require going to the web (50/50 mobile/standard). What I really want is the NY Times app. for the iPhone, so I guess this is one more reason to switch to iPhone...
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    I have been using Sbsh's new RSS reader GoNews Touch which works great on the Treo. Its very finger friendly and the advantage to it is that you can create templates to download whole articles rather than just the RSS feeds. They include a template to download the NYtimes top stories. Defiantly worth a try and its half the cost of insight. Its a new product so they are working out the kinks and hopefully will get an easier way to create templates.
  11.    #11  
    Thanks for the tip. Just tried GoNews Touch, and it seems to act like any other RSS reader. The included NY Times template seems to be the regular NY Times RSS feed - some full articles are included, but many link to the web page. Am I missing something?