View Poll Results: Who is sticking with the Pro after Saturday/Pre?

Voters
83. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sticking with Pro for Awhile

77 92.77%
  • Switching to Pre ASAP

6 7.23%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    It's been 9 months since I purchased an unlocked GSM Treo Pro. After returning the phone twice (once for software problem, the other for cracks), I must say I have gotten used to the Pro. I admit I went to the Sprint store on Saturday and saw the Pre, held it and played with it. It has potential. I will refrain from switching to the Pre due to the following:

1) SPRINT is an inferior network;
    2) Poor ringer;
    3) Pixel/screen bleeding issue;
    4) Not designed for enterprise use; and,
    5) Reported problems with syncing from multiple sources, corrupting data such as contacts.

The Pro had some growing pains (e.g., bluetooth), however, the Pre's new OS will have some problems as all new OS's do in the beginning. I will say this, if Verizon releases the Pre 6-9 months from now, I may get it since I switched from Verizon to get the Pro working on AT&T (which is inferior to Verizon). In the meantime, I will let the early adopters become the beta testers as my days of paying a premium to be a beta tester for Palm are over.
    I was interested but not at the expense of giving up my fair and flexible. Also, I'm a bit concerned with all the problems reported on the Pre forum.

On the more shallow side, I did see a Pre in person and the plastic does look cheap.
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    Right now I have an HTC Touch, when it dies I will have to get a different phone so I have been looking around, stoped in Sprint today to look at the Pre, no impressed, I thought the keyboard was a little better then the Centro, I never could use that thing.
    The real peoblem I had with the Pres that I looked at was that the pages seamed to hang, it took forever for a new ap to load, seamed kind of klunky like the original Instinct.
    This and the other things mentioned no expansion slot, etc. etc.
    Personily I love WM.
    Terry
    Sticking with the Pro.

After playing with my friend's Pre for a little while yesterday, I was surprised to find I was happy I went with the Pro.

As fast as our batteries drain, the Pre's battery drains even faster. And I'm really not into the slider. In my experience, flips and slides inevitably mean trouble a couple years down the road when things wear out.
    I'm sticking with the Pro. The absence of a memory expansion slot and D-pad are turn-offs.
    Lets see.. pay 55 bucks a month and use the Pro or change plans to 135 bucks a month for the same services to use the Pre..

Thats a freakin no brainer.. PRO!
    Sprint Palm Treo Pro
    Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
    Sticking with the pro, the pre has a lot of the same shortcomings that drove me from the iphone to the pro
    1. No tasks
    2. No way to sync notes from outlook ( I have hundreds of those)
    3. Treo Pro Notes app is excellent-love the way it's on my call screen and one click away to write patient details when I get a call from the emergency room.
    4. No local sync (third party apps do not sync tasks/ notes). I have no interest in uploading patients' data to a "cloud".
    5. No D Pad-love one handed operation, with tactile feel I can switch on my bluetooth without looking at my screen after I get in the car.

Also no epocrates application, it took the iphone 18 mo to get one so I assume it'll take just as long as epocrates say they're waiting for consumer demand.

I find it worrying that the pre has a lot of the limitations that the iphone had at launch and now regarding PIM. It's understandable for Apple, since they have no history of it, but Palm pretty much invented it. It makes me think, did Rubenstein just come in with his own team and exclude all the other talent at Palm involved in say the Treo and PIM software?
    how about had a Centro (and PalmOS for 13yrs). Went to the Pre. Returned it and bought a Pro. Figured PalmOS is a known quantity for me, might as well give the Pro a try while I'm bopping around with phones.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    I had tracked the Pre with great interest, but like many who've commented, when I confirmed my ancient plan wouldn't transfer, I couldn't defend the massively increased cost. Instead, I picked up the Pro a couple weeks ago.

There have been a few comments about people avoiding Sprint because it's an inferior network. I've been on them for 5 years and have had maybe 5 dropped calls ever. Is there any reason this gets repeated so much, or is it just the mob repeating what they've heard?

Objective comparisons are hard to find, but I see little that tells me Sprint is clearly inferior -- it's a few years old, but Google "Sprint/Verizon EVDO and Cingular HSDPA compared" for an example.
    I don't see how anyone who's used to a Treo which excels in one-handed operation can switch to any gesture based multi-touch phone. I just don't get it. It's more like a gimmick than a benefit to me. I refuse to even touch an iPhone and I did play with the Pre and even though it has potential, it reminded me why I won't touch iPhones.
    How about those who switched to the Pre, changed their grandfathered plans then returned the Pre and lost those granfathered plans forever? I've been reading the Pre forums alot. One guy returned his Pre before leaving the store due to EAS issues and lost a sick old plan he could not get back. Not going good for may Pre owners. That phone needs some updates (many).
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    there is a lot more to using a phone than one handedness. Though much of the problem could've been solved with a d-pad to aid in navigation and cut & paste. I'm playing with a Pro now having owned a PalmOS device for 13yrs. Outside of the limited PIM apps, the Pre would've been a winner. I'd take the better browsing, larger screen, better multimedia and such and sacrifice a little one handed ease. Multi-touch is less for PIM use and more for web and media use. That being said, my phone is for PIM use first and web/media/fun stuff second. So back the Pre went. I only lost $20 as my unlimited plan was pre-SE plans and was combined with an air card for $130/mo. Actually it'll probably only be $10 as I think my rep is getting me a $140 combo price. So since I'm on an SE plan I might as well at least have a phone with built in gps and a nicer screen to take advantage of some of the SE features.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawmen23 View Post
    I don't see how anyone who's used to a Treo which excels in one-handed operation can switch to any gesture based multi-touch phone. I just don't get it. It's more like a gimmick than a benefit to me. I refuse to even touch an iPhone and I did play with the Pre and even though it has potential, it reminded me why I won't touch iPhones.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Global Posts
    227 Global Posts
    I have both now...one for each business line. At this point if I had to choose only one I would probably pick the Pro. Each have their own strengths and weaknesses. With that said, I really do like the Pre it is fun and flashy, but the Pro is a workhorse.
    The most compelling reason to switch to the Pre is the browser. It's just not a satisfying experience on the Pro despite having tried Skyfire, Opera & Iris as PIE replacements. Having said that I might wait till Flash is available before jumping ship.
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    I just played with a dummy unit at BB.

Damn, the Pre is tiny. Like smaller than I expected and I would have preferred it to be larger. KB is reminiscent of the Centro's but with the "smile".

don't wanna judge completely on that experience but I wasn't blown away yet either; of course theOS is probably the bigger deal, so...
    Mal
    I am happy with the Pro & the 800 was ok the touch pro was nice I stil have it I also played with a dummy unit I am doing 12 hour shifts and sprint stores in my area are closed when I get off have you played with a live unit yet and if so what's your opinion is it worth the switch and that keyboard my wife said it was small for her hands
  16.    #56  
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawmen23 View Post
    I think you nailed it.
    If it wasn't for the plan requirement I would check the Pre out. However, my $ would be on a switchback to Pro after the honeymoon.
    so what's up with no control button and no cut and paste in SMS. Am I missing something on the Pro? Or is this a complete oversight on Palm's part. I even tried the soft keyboard while in SMS with the control button but couldn't cut and paste.
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    so what's up with no control button and no cut and paste in SMS. Am I missing something on the Pro? Or is this a complete oversight on Palm's part. I even tried the soft keyboard while in SMS with the control button but couldn't cut and paste.
    I'm not sure what you mean by a "control button"...can you explain?

Regarding cut/paste in SMS (or anywhere in WM), just use a stylus, select the text and hold down the stylus till you get the spinny dots. This will launch a sub-menu with cut/copy/paste options. You can also use your finger.

Ctrl V and Ctrl P do work AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    doh! don't mind me. It's been so long since I even played with winmob (brief time with an Axim) that I forgot about the tap and hold. Was trying to do it with the menu (which is what I meant) and the "c" & "p" on the keyboard.

I do wish someone would make a matte finished battery cover. Like the Pre, I hate the glossy all over. Might pick up that innocase2 combo from Sprint now that I think I'm keeping it and not going back to my Centro.
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    Probably wrong thread but...

Yeah it's a bug, normally you tap-and-hold after you highlight the text to bring up the popup menu for copy and paste, but this app mistakenly deselects the text when you do that. Ctrl-c, ctrl-v works for me with the soft keyboard. You can also do the following, first highlight the text, then press and hold the center button. The popup menu for copy and paste should show up.

If MMS is not a big deal to you, you might want to install the Palm SMS threaded app (different than the default WM threaded sms app), but better and I'm sure copy and paste works correctly. It's here: http://discussion.treocentral.com/tr...-treo-pro.html

I believe you can set up a control key, but haven't done that yet, see this thread: http://discussion.treocentral.com/tr...ap+control+key

Note: there is also a Mortscript floating around so you can one-handed copy/paste once you map it to a hardware button.

EDIT: correction it does work, I was just having trouble getting the tap-and-hold on the exact spot. One thing about the STP, I have trouble with accurately hitting targets on the screen no matter how many times I realign.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast