Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I've decided, after months of agonizing, to dump the Treo Pro and switch to a Blackberry. I've been wanting a phone that will work reliably and unfortunately the Pro is not it. There is not one big thing wrong with it, but just a lot of little things that make it hard for me to use. I've had the missing calls syndrome with this phone (as well as the 800w) but it looks like there may be a solution to that. Not working reliably with my hands free radio in my phone is strike against it. I'm not saying that it is 100% a Pro problem, but the two together just aren't cutting it. Lately I've been having camera problems with it, the camera causing the phone to lock up when it's writing data, as well as just not respoding. The size is just a little too small for me. It works, but it could be better. The BB 8330 not only addresses those issues, but so far I haven't had any glitches with it of any kind. The Pre doesn't seem to be a good option for me at this time. So I'll move on over to the Crackberry site, but will still read here. I've enjoyed the Palm Treo line, but right now it just isn't for me.

Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."

I don't like you anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post

LMAO

I'm agonizing because my 800w is behaving very poorly but I'm really not sure I want the Treo Pro.... I'm kind of stuck, here.

Right now, I'm sitting here, watching my 800w synced and charging (LED light on) via USB cable and draining its battery. I don't know what to do... *sighs*
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
    Global Posts
    227 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gksmithlcw View Post
    LMAO

I'm agonizing because my 800w is behaving very poorly but I'm really not sure I want the Treo Pro.... I'm kind of stuck, here.

Right now, I'm sitting here, watching my 800w synced and charging (LED light on) via USB cable and draining its battery. I don't know what to do... *sighs*
    Go ahead and warranty swap that 800w. I just did, and I like my Pro. For the record, I had a good 800w and did not have any real complaints about it...other than the typical WinMo quirks. I would have been content with keeping my 800w, but it started having problems.
    LMAO

The Pro is lightyears ahead of the 800w in terms of battery performance and overall "niceness". Call quality- etc.
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    Yea, I think the Tre Pro is light years better than the 800w.

As for the Blackberry, they are nice, and do email and IM excellently, but the touchscreen and apps on WinMo keep me coming back.
    Use the IMAP IDLE hack, and it's just as fast (or faster) than BB.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec View Post
    Yea, I think the Tre Pro is light years better than the 800w.

As for the Blackberry, they are nice, and do email and IM excellently, but the touchscreen and apps on WinMo keep me coming back.
    Use the IMAP IDLE hack, and it's just as fast (or faster) than BB.
    I ditched my Curve months ago because I was bored. It is a great phone with Stellar battery life but for hackers and tweakers not much fun. I'll be a WM for a long time.

I haven't had any issues. Well I missed 2 calls on the first day of ownership. I did a hard reset and loaded version 1.04 then did another hard reset. Since then zero issues.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    Owned some Pearls, a couple of Curves. They are dependable, but get real boring fast.
    Mike
    Global Posts
    741 Global Posts
    You know what's bugging me about my Pro, the signal strength. I know all phones calibrate their signal icon different but this is the first Sprint phone where I'm always at 1-2 bars, and a lot of the times below 1. I people say they go right to voice mail and I have done the no ring mod.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gottria View Post
    You know what's bugging me about my Pro, the signal strength. I know all phones calibrate their signal icon different but this is the first Sprint phone where I'm always at 1-2 bars, and a lot of the times below 1. I people say they go right to voice mail and I have done the no ring mod.
    Did you do the missed call mod?
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post

Aaahhhhh, shucks......

Just dumping the phone, not the forum. Who else can stir things up like I can....

Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
  12.    #12  
    LMAO

I really, really wanted the Treo Pro to work, I truly did, and I think I gave it every chance to prove itself. I had a 700w, 700wx, 800w (not to mention a 700p and 755p) and kept hoping that Sprint and Palm would get it right. The Treo was close, but I saw too many of the faults of the 800w creeping into it. I'm going to miss the Windows Mobile format, but since I've been using the BB, I have to admit it is great getting all of my phone calls, as well as being able to have some reliability with my hands-free BT in the car.

13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by VibrantRedGT View Post
    I ditched my Curve months ago because I was bored. It is a great phone with Stellar battery life but for hackers and tweakers not much fun. I'll be a WM for a long time.

I haven't had any issues. Well I missed 2 calls on the first day of ownership. I did a hard reset and loaded version 1.04 then did another hard reset. Since then zero issues.
    Mine worked great for about the first month, month and a half. But lately, the camera has been acting up, as well as missing calls and in general just unreliable performance. In the last week, it wouldn't sync a couple of times, in addition to loosing it's sync conncetion on occasion. I'm hoping Sprint will come up with some kind of patch/upgrade but with the Pre coming out, I think this will be taking the back burner.

Your unreliable performance can be corrected with a hard reset (dont restore from a backup) and the signal fix.

I have had the 7130, 8130, and 8330. I have always missed my 700wx when I was using them. I am sure you will be back with time, you will miss the tinkering, the Power, Control .

The blackberries are good for light use, and reliability. If it could do anything that WM could do it would not be the device it is now.
    Devices: Blackberry 7130, 8130, 8330, HTC Touch Pro, Treo 600, 700wx, Pro, Palm Pre
    The other thing that bothered me is that since the email account info is stored on the rim servers, if your email carriers go down it stops pushing your email until you go back in and reset the password. I have hadthis happen and didnt realize it for days.
    Devices: Blackberry 7130, 8130, 8330, HTC Touch Pro, Treo 600, 700wx, Pro, Palm Pre
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by CTL Advance View Post
    Your unreliable performance can be corrected with a hard reset (dont restore from a backup) and the signal fix.

I have had the 7130, 8130, and 8330. I have always missed my 700wx when I was using them. I am sure you will be back with time, you will miss the tinkering, the Power, Control .

The blackberries are good for light use, and reliability. If it could do anything that WM could do it would not be the device it is now.
    I've done the "hard" reset several times, and the problems keep coming back. For the price I pay for service and the phone, I shouldn't have to do this. The issue with the hands free BT isn't a Treo problem, but a compatability problem with my car stereo. But I can't change my car stereo just cuz it won't work with my phone, it's less expensive to find a phone that will work with the stereo.

This isn't something I've done on whim. I've used the 600, 650 and 680 on Tmobile, the 700w on Verizon, and the 700wx, 700p, 800w, 755p and Treo Pro on Sprint. All of the phones were acceptable. With Sprint, it wasn't until the Pro that they supported true MMS on smartphone. There were other minor issues that, like I said before, by themselves were not a reason to make a change. But collectively, the only option I had was to find something that addressed my issues. Will I be back to a windows or Palm/WebOS phone? Who knows. From what I've seen so far, I'm happy with the BB8330. Tried it side-by-side with the Pro. Haven't missed a call, and it works with my BT. Only time will tell.

I was in the same boat, i dumped the treo pro sold it and got a Blackberry Bold after like a day with the pro. It didn't matchup to my other devices. But to be honest the Bold is the best overall phone ive had. Can't believe i'm saying that about a blackberry lol. yeah i know i joined the darkside. If switching service providers is not a problem id tell you to do it in a heart beat and get it. Definitely couldn't get with the Curve though. Something about it seems inferior to the top phones ive had. But the Bold is a whole other beast. Crackberry forum is cool too. You'll get a lot of help there. Troll alot between there and here. Both these sites are great. BTW thinking about the Treo Pro 2 right now.
    Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 700> Treo 755 >Treo 800w> HTC Diamond> Palm Treo Pro > HTC Touch Pro > Blackberry Bold > HTC Touch Pro 2 & Blackberry Tour
    Quote Originally Posted by champagne609 View Post
    I was in the same boat, i dumped the treo pro sold it and got a Blackberry Bold after like a day with the pro. It didn't matchup to my other devices. But to be honest the Bold is the best overall phone ive had. Can't believe i'm saying that about a blackberry lol. yeah i know i joined the darkside. If switching service providers is not a problem id tell you to do it in a heart beat and get it. Definitely couldn't get with the Curve though. Something about it seems inferior to the top phones ive had. But the Bold is a whole other beast. Crackberry forum is cool too. You'll get a lot of help there. Troll alot between there and here. Both these sites are great. BTW thinking about the Treo Pro 2 right now.
    I have a BB (business phone) and a couple of other windows phones... the guy I knew who had the treo pro dumped his... he went back to a BB.

I decided to go for it since the .exe "4" fix is out and the fix for the not ringing is out... not to mention the large battery that we can purchase for this baby! Figured I'd have to give this a shot. I'm also thinking I'll have some trouble with reception, but hopefully that won't be the case... my partner's phone had some reception issues. I think his were more to do with not ringing... although the bars (that means nothing) were low so he complained about that....

Get my phone on Wed/thurs... don't like it, I'll more than likely get a BB for my personal use as well... May even take a look at the pre... I want a pre, but I'm not sure if it will be a wise move...
    Last edited by theog; 06/01/2009 at 10:47 PM.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post
    I have a BB (business phone) and a couple of other windows phones... the guy I knew who had the treo pro dumped his... he went back to a BB.

I decided to go for it since the .exe "4" fix is out and the fix for the not ringing is out... not to mention the large battery that we can purchase for this baby! Figured I'd have to give this a shot. I'm also thinking I'll have some trouble with reception, but hopefully that won't be the case... my partner's phone had some reception issues. I think his were more to do with not ringing... although the bars (that means nothing) were low so he complained about that....

Get my phone on Wed/thurs... don't like it, I'll more than likely get a BB for my personal use as well... May even take a look at the pre... I want a pre, but I'm not sure if it will be a wise move...
    I wasn't too big on the pre in the beginning still not sold on it. But what turns me off is the device itself and not the os. When palm gets a better device form factor for it, i think it will do well. But that man thing is fugly. I used to think BB's were boring but then again the Bold is the flagship BB and different from all the others so that could be why its such a beast. But BB has really stepped their game up especially with the upcoming devices. theres also going to be a touch screen/qwerty hybrid like the treo pro coming too. Curious to see Palms next devices or even the Treo Pro 2.
    Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 700> Treo 755 >Treo 800w> HTC Diamond> Palm Treo Pro > HTC Touch Pro > Blackberry Bold > HTC Touch Pro 2 & Blackberry Tour
    Quote Originally Posted by ivhs72 View Post
    I've done the "hard" reset several times, and the problems keep coming back. For the price I pay for service and the phone, I shouldn't have to do this. The issue with the hands free BT isn't a Treo problem, but a compatability problem with my car stereo. But I can't change my car stereo just cuz it won't work with my phone, it's less expensive to find a phone that will work with the stereo.
    If you keep the BB I wish you the best and you'll be missed around these parts. But wouldn't it have been even cheaper, to get a Motorola T505 and keep the Treo Pro?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast