Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    This will make it even tougher to spot an 'unsupported' phone (if that actually exists). Now a potential buyer would have to get the phones serial number, and spend a bajillion hours on the phone with Palm to figure it out...assuming Palm truly doesn't warranty the 1.03 phones.
    Quote Originally Posted by VibrantRedGT View Post
    For an 84MB file I hope it did something. Nothing noticeable has changed. We now need a list of what changed.
    Worked for me. I'm now version 1.04 instead of 1.03. Other than a soft-reset fresh phone is starting me with about 2MB more RAM free, I don't notice any other changes.
    Daniel Levin
    levinda13@sbcglobal.net
    Did the upgrade and it worked fine. The only thing I do notice is that my signal strength is MUCH lower than before the update. I purchased 2 v1.03's and my co-worker is still at that version. Once I did the 1.04 upgrade and we stand side by side there is a very noticable difference in signal strength between the two devices now. i also notice in my house where Treo Alert PrPrPr $showed$ $I$ $would$ $have$ $anywhere$ $between$ $94$-$100$% $signal$ $I$ $am$ $now$ $showing$ $34$%, $66$% $and$ $very$ $rarely$ $about$ $80$%.

More as I monitor it.
    Quote Originally Posted by scrote View Post
    Did the upgrade and it worked fine. The only thing I do notice is that my signal strength is MUCH lower than before the update. I purchased 2 v1.03's and my co-worker is still at that version. Once I did the 1.04 upgrade and we stand side by side there is a very noticable difference in signal strength between the two devices now. i also notice in my house where Treo Alert PrPrPr $showed$ $I$ $would$ $have$ $anywhere$ $between$ $94$-$100$% $signal$ $I$ $am$ $now$ $showing$ $34$%, $66$% $and$ $very$ $rarely$ $about$ $80$%.

More as I monitor it.
    I applied the update & noticed this change as well. It seems like this is a known problem [1] with a hack/fix available [2]. Not sure I'm adventurous enough for that; keeping my fingers crossed for a Palm/Sprint update...

EDIT: Apparently I cannot post links because I'm a forum n00b -- awesome rule. The thread links are [1] 180975-treo-pro-terrible-signal-strength and [2] 180933-fix-sprint-treo-pro-missing-calls
    Quote Originally Posted by lenin1991 View Post
    Apparently I cannot post links because I'm a forum n00b -- awesome rule.
    Blame the necessity for the rule on the spammers that have often targeted this forum.
    Firstly I would like to thank all members that have contributed to this forum. Just a quick question, does this ROM upgate only work for the CDMA Treo Pro or can this also be applied to an unlocked GSM version. I ask, since it was raised earlier on that it may brick the phone (if it is not a SPRINT Treo Pro) and I dont fancy ruining my current device. Thanking you in advance
    regards, Bill
    Mobile Tech. Support Consultant

Device/Gadget History
    3comm palm pilot pro->palm 505m->Tungsten e2->Treo650(sold)->Treo680->O2 XDA Stealth (sold)->Treo 500 ->Treo750v -> Treo Pro
    Optus Singtel Pty Ltd (c)
    Quote Originally Posted by TronTreo650 View Post
    Firstly I would like to thank all members that have contributed to this forum. Just a quick question, does this ROM upgate only work for the CDMA Treo Pro or can this also be applied to an unlocked GSM version. I ask, since it was raised earlier on that it may brick the phone (if it is not a SPRINT Treo Pro) and I dont fancy ruining my current device. Thanking you in advance
    Why would you want to patch your GSM phone? My GSM phone worked perfect. It was not until I switched from GSM to the AllTel CDMA phone I started having issues with memory.

-D
    No ROM update for a any CDMA device ever works on any GSM device and vice versa.

The CDMA Treo Pro does have a new build of WM 6.1 and new version of Pocket IE.
    No need for this on GSM.

The GSM Treo Pro is Grand.
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    No need for this on GSM.

The GSM Treo Pro is Grand.
    Are you trying to say they got it right the first time ?
    sorry CrozB, i was under the impression that you were applying the update to a gsm treo. thankyou for your prompt reply.
    regards, Bill
    Mobile Tech. Support Consultant

Device/Gadget History
    3comm palm pilot pro->palm 505m->Tungsten e2->Treo650(sold)->Treo680->O2 XDA Stealth (sold)->Treo 500 ->Treo750v -> Treo Pro
    Optus Singtel Pty Ltd (c)
    Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
    Uh what's the scoop with the dramaticalyl lower signal strength? I would love to upgrade this thing and see what it does... but lower signal strength gives me ulcers.

Does anybody have a list of new features/upgrades in the 1.04 version?
    Quote Originally Posted by all_bran View Post
    none, zip, nada

the only changes are
    • 2mb more of available RAM
    • evidently lower reported signal strength

No new software, OS changes, registry values, radio firmware, etc. That's all the same an unchanged. There are no bug fixes evident.

At this point it's really about making people feel better

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by all_bran View Post
    There are probably half a dozen tweaks and improvements that Sprint had Palm do. Or something serious that hasn't come up given that no one on this forum has run it through the rigorous testing Sprint may have done. They would not have held it up by two months otherwise.

The thing is Palm obviously has no interest in proclaiming or even leaking what they fixed in fact it is their interest to say nothing, but it was serious enough to mandate a two month delay.
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    There are probably half a dozen tweaks and improvements that Sprint had Palm do.
    There's no evidence for this, none. You can't just assert this without verifiable proof.

Just because a device is delayed and released doesn't mean they fixed many things. Supply issues, timing and network certification all have an effect too and this seems to be an isolated adjustment to the way he OS is compiled, nothing more.

(Had they wanted to make "tweaks and improvements" they seemed to have missed some more serious ones e.g. missed calls, ringer notification bug, alerts during calls, sms/screensaver-read issue, low RAM,etc. )
    Quote Originally Posted by zbop View Post
    I compared a 1.03 registry snapshot and a 1.04 snapshot and after eliminating all the device-specific differences, and live-state differences, I can't find anything significant. There are a few minor changes, but nothing that looks like a bugfix.
    In addition to the registry above we also know the phone firmware has not been significantly changed as Alltel users can flash with this with no network side effects nor has the firmware version been changed (which would imply a revision to the code).
    Last edited by Malatesta; 06/05/2009 at 10:32 AM.
    Aero, weren't you speaking directly with some folks in Advanced support before the 1.03 release and during the delay that resulted in the 1.04 release? I do recall you mentioning that you were during that time and you did offer some insight when many felt the delay was to somehow "fix" Pocket IE.

We know 1.03 failed Sprint's final rounds of testing. We don't know all the details, but we know Sprint prefered 1.04 and is actively flashing 1.03 devices that come their way to 1.04.
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    Aero, weren't you speaking directly with some folks in Advanced support before the 1.03 release and during the delay that resulted in the 1.04 release? I do recall you mentioning that you were during that time and you did offer some insight when many felt the delay was to somehow "fix" Pocket IE.

We know 1.03 failed Sprint's final rounds of testing. We don't know all the details, but we know Sprint prefered 1.04 and is actively flashing 1.03 devices that come their way to 1.04.
    Which is all find and dandy with flowers but until someone can point to these "half dozen tweaks and improvements" the whole discussion is vacuous.

Aero doesn't speak for Palm and is in no position to make such claims which he himself cannot verify. Saying you "spoke with someone" doesn't gain you very much credibility.

It is simply disingenuous to go around claiming that there are mysterious changes that no 1.03/1.04 user can confirm (outside of allegedly having worse reported signal strength, which is irony). Why promise people these fixes and make them re-flash if they don't have to? Why get their hopes up? That's just lame.

Aero, did you take over Mal's account? I thought I was leaving a question open for you to answer for everyone.

So Aero, please answer as yourself so what you discussed with Advanced support can be talked about openly.

Given Sprint support's first order of business with any legitmately supported 1.03 device is to flash it to 1.04, it seems worthwhile to upgrade.
    Aero, did you take over Mal's account? I thought I was leaving a question open for you to answer for everyone.

So Aero, please answer as yourself so what you discussed with Advanced support can be talked about openly.
    I am not preventing Aero from answering. But it doesn't matter.

Aero can't show you or tell you what these "half dozen tweaks and improvements" are as he does not know either--so why speculate they exist? He has already posted on this awhile back "in the open" and it went no where because it was vague and not verified by anyone else.

Post what we know, not unsupported speculation.
    Given Sprint support's first order of business with any legitmately supported 1.03 device is to flash it to 1.04, it seems worthwhile to upgrade.
    That would be the answer to a question not asked and it does not actually relate the question of what these alleged "half dozen tweaks and improvements" are. It is side stepping the issue.

Look, it is called evidence, proof, etc. Show us what these differences are specifically or don't mention them at all. Idle speculation and sweeping generalizations have no business in a technical discussion.

End of story.

Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post

That would be the answer to a question not asked and it does not actually relate the question of what these alleged "half dozen tweaks and improvements" are. It is side stepping the issue.
    Seems you assume I'm talking to you or that I care about your soap box. I'm not, I don't and your question is your own.

When others were assuming 1.04 would have a Pocket IE fix, there was one person who first said it was something else. Which they said from their own conversations with Advanced support.

So Aero, when you have time.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast