Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Description of Problem:

The Sprint Treo Pro will sometimes send calls directly to voicemail in areas of low signal even though you are able to place outgoing calls from the same location just fine. In this instance, your phone will NOT ring and you will NOT get an incoming call notification. The cause of this problem is that the parameters that defines the receiver gain offsets are set too low by default.

Note: this should not be confused with the silent ringer problem which is a known issue with the Treo Pro. See the Palm support page here, for that fix.

Solution:

The solution is to bump these values up and allow incoming calls to go through despite a low signal. This may not fix all your reception issues, but if you are on the fringe of reception, it should make your phone useable again. Even though several people have tested this hack without any side-effects, there are always risks involved, so use your own judgement. If you aren't having problems with missed calls, I'd suggest leaving well enough alone.

Tools Needed:
    • beezlewaxin's 800w Diagnostic Driver (works for STP too)
    • QPST -- As this is a Qualcomm program, I will not post or link to it here. Make sure to use QPST 2.7.301 (or QPST 2.7 build 301 as it is sometimes called) for this. (Hint: Google is your friend.)
    • Your SPC/MSL code. BAF MSL Grabber will get it for you, you'll need to install .NET CF 3.5 as well.
    • A normal MicroUSB sync cable.
    • Your Sprint Treo Pro.
    That's an intimidating list I know, but it's really much simpler than the list might imply.

To apply the hack:
    • Install QPST.
    • Connect your phone to your PC, make sure you have a good connection.
    • On your phone, go into the dialpad and dial ##DIAG# (##3424#).
    • You should see a program named DMR v2.31 running that shows Port, Handle, Tx, Rx
    • You should be prompted for several (three) hardware installs. All three times point the installer to the location where you placed beezlewaxin's 800w Diagnostic Driver.
    • Once installed, run QPST Configuration.
    • Click Add New Port...
    • Here you will see a list of comm ports. Don't worry about most of these, the one we want is labeled USB/QC Diagnostic. If you see more than one, that's okay, just add all of them (I had two).
    • One of the comm ports will list a phone. Mine displayed SURF7500A. Simply make a mental note of the comm port number for this one.
    • From the QPST tools, launch QPST Service Programming. (Warning: This is an incredibly powerful tool, and it has the capabilities to completely brick your phone, rendering it useless. If you do not know what something does, don't touch it!)
    • Make sure that your phone is selected, and click OK.
    • Click the Read from Phone button. This is where you will enter your MSL/SPC code.
    • If you were able to successfully read your service programming values from your phone, you're ready for the next step.
    • From QPST tools, launch RV NV Item Manager. Click File -> Read From Phone. If that doesn't work, you can try Setting -> Comport and select the same port you used in QPST.
    • Next, back up your original settings which you just read. Do this by clicking File -> Write Only Listed NV Items to QCN and give it a filename when prompted to save the settings.
    • Now, there should be 4 values in NVRAM for gain offset, mine were originally:
      NV_C0_BC1_VGA_GAIN_OFFSET_I = 1980
      NV_C1_BC1_VGA_GAIN_OFFSET_I = 2660
      NV_C0_BC0_VGA_GAIN_OFFSET_I = 2222
      NV_C1_BC0_VGA_GAIN_OFFSET_I = 2911
      (your values will be slightly different, don't worry about that)

Change these values to:
      NV_C0_BC1_VGA_GAIN_OFFSET_I = 3229
      NV_C1_BC1_VGA_GAIN_OFFSET_I = 3362
      NV_C0_BC0_VGA_GAIN_OFFSET_I = 3074
      NV_C1_BC0_VGA_GAIN_OFFSET_I = 3326

• After you've edited those values, select File -> Write Changed Items to Phone.
    • Then do a File -> Read From Phone, and go back and verify the modified values are still there and are set correctly.
    • Disconnect your phone and Soft-reset.
    Disclaimer:

This hack is provided for use at your own risk. Exercise caution and use your own judgement. The hack can be undone by restoring you original values or via a ##RTN#.

Credits:

Malatesta, Ebag333, Beezlewaxin, Baffles
    Last edited by zbop; 07/25/2009 at 06:21 PM. Reason: Added link to Palm Ringer Update
    No .cab file huh? I will give it a shot.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    no .cab possible as this is modifying the radio firmware

thanks again Zbop for this as it solved one of my last pet-peeves of this device ;-) Dunno how you figured it out but I'm glad ya did!

Gonna mirror this at ppcgeeks...

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    So will this fix the same problem on the 800w?
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
    Has this also been identified as a problem with the GSM Treo Pro?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawmen23 View Post
    Has this also been identified as a problem with the GSM Treo Pro?
    No, just the Sprint CDMA version. I haven't missed a call yet on my GSM Treo Pro.
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    No, just the Sprint CDMA version. I haven't missed a call yet on my GSM Treo Pro.
    No problems whatsoever.
    Just call me Berd.
    AWESOME! This is my #1 complaint with the STP, other than the speaker volume (Which is "usable" with WOW). Thanks a million!! I will give this a shot this evening.

Edit: Now if we can just get the keyguard to work right
    I just followed your instructions to a T. Well written easy to follow. Thank you cause I got nowhere with Sprint support. I was ready to return the phone. I have 5 days to test before my 30 day return policy expires. I will post my findings in 3 days. Time to test, once again Thank you
    I take that back zbop. I will have to do the reg change tomorrow evening. Stupid STP took a crap today, getting a "Defective Unit Exchange" tomorrow (supposedly anyway). I'll make sure I set it up ASAP though. Thanks again for the good work. I told the tech person today that I was also having problems with calls going straight to voice mail when I DO have service, and he looked at me like a deer in headlights. Said there's nothing he can do, and it's a common complaint. He also though my "keyguard issue" (red button just stopped working, along with other things) was the keyguard not working, and tried to give my phone back before even looking at it, until I told him exactly what it was doing. Apparently a lot of people, at least around here, are taking their phones in for the keyguard not working properly as well.

So, you should feel good about yourself. Even though none of this is easy, and its definitely a lot of work, you are fixing things the real IT guys can't, and making our phones USABLE. You and the other members here who spend countless hours writing cabs are like Buddha for us STP/GTP owners
    Done deal. Not too hard either.
    instructions say"You should be prompted for several (three) hardware installs. All three times point the installer to the location where you placed beezlewaxin's 800w Diagnostic Driver."

is it on phone or computer? i cant get it to ask me to install them. where do i need to put these treo 800 files?thnx
    Last edited by ericizzy1; 05/26/2009 at 07:52 PM. Reason: got it!! its done. will report on outcome
    So far so good...fairly easy once I was able to retrieve my MSL number (which i would recommend doing FIRST before anything else).

With the installation of the COM ports, .NET CF (Needed for the MSL Grabber) will not install correctly while running the DIAG tool on your STP.

Will report back any difficulty. Thanks zbop!
    If I had that phone, I would be pressing Palm / Sprint for a firmware update.
    Quote Originally Posted by ericizzy1 View Post
    instructions say"You should be prompted for several (three) hardware installs. All three times point the installer to the location where you placed beezlewaxin's 800w Diagnostic Driver."

is it on phone or computer? i cant get it to ask me to install them. where do i need to put these treo 800 files?thnx
    When you run the ##DIAG# sequence on your dialpad, you should enter the DMR v2.31 program on your phone. If properly connected to your computer via USB, you should be prompted to install these (I only recieved two prompts). When prompted, choose the option to install from a file on your computer, and point to the folder where you unzipped beezlewaxin's 800w Diagnostic Driver (I did this on my desktop to make things easy to find).

Hope this helps
    Would these settings be reset back to its orig settings if I were to do a hard reset?
    done. fingers crossed.

thanks zbop
    My Avatar = This guy walks 12 miles a day just to charge his cell phone. Link Here
    If you want to buy me lunch... click here
    PDA's I've owned/used in order... nextel i930, BB 7100i, PPC-6700 (apache), treo 700p, PPC-6700, treo 700wx, PPC-6800 (mogul), PPC-6900 (touch), treo 755p, PPC-6900 (touch), BB 8130 (Pearl),PPC-6800 (mogul), BB 8330 (Curve) Diamond, treo 800w, Touch Pro, BB 8330 (Curve), Treo 800w, Treo Pro
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by codyppc View Post
    done. fingers crossed.

thanks zbop
    Let us know how it goes, I'm curious if this helps your particular case...
    So far I have had good results. My STP sits on my desk at work most of the day, and I usually have no signal bars visible. I have missed many a call here, with no indication of a missed call...

Since making these changes, I have not gotten any complaints (Such as "Hey, I tried to call you..." & seeing no indication of a missed call)

Also, I did several test calls to my phone in a row, throughout the day...all calls came through right away!

I may be noticing a little hit on my battery, but it is negligible. Thanks again zbop! Hopefully this is the cure we have all be looking for.
    fyi for everyone.... if you do the 1.03 to 1.04 update.... you dont need to do this again if you have allready done it.

cody
    My Avatar = This guy walks 12 miles a day just to charge his cell phone. Link Here
    If you want to buy me lunch... click here
    PDA's I've owned/used in order... nextel i930, BB 7100i, PPC-6700 (apache), treo 700p, PPC-6700, treo 700wx, PPC-6800 (mogul), PPC-6900 (touch), treo 755p, PPC-6900 (touch), BB 8130 (Pearl),PPC-6800 (mogul), BB 8330 (Curve) Diamond, treo 800w, Touch Pro, BB 8330 (Curve), Treo 800w, Treo Pro
Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast