1.    #1  
    I know the Pro probaby won't see an upgrade, but I am really trying to talk myself into this device. I am on ATT so I would be buying a GSM model.

Can anyone explain to me how I might justify purchasing this for $399 when a significant upgrade is right around the corner?

Why would you go ahead and buy one? Or, would you wait a bit longer?

Thanks for the replies.
    Mike
    Windows 6.1 runs real well on the GSM Treo Pro.
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

if 6.5 proves to be anything like the cooked omnia rom it really isn't that spectacular its the equivalent of vista, just flashy..
    Quote Originally Posted by mbranscum View Post
    I know the Pro probaby won't see an upgrade, but I am really trying to talk myself into this device. I am on ATT so I would be buying a GSM model.

Can anyone explain to me how I might justify purchasing this for $399 when a significant upgrade is right around the corner?

Thanks for the replies.
    A Treo Pro is cheap. For those who don't have upgrade eligibility I am not spending $500 for a Pre that has an untested OS and zero applications. Because of the Pre the Treo Pro prices have tumbled. Thanks Palm!
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.

Thanks for the replies.
    BestBuy, 2 year AT&T contract, $299. If you need glitz as much as or more than usability, then wait. If you want a phone that rocks at pretty much everything it does, don't wait. The GSM Treo Pro is a great phone. The only envy I have for any other phone is the added memory & speed tweaks Palm included in the Sprint version.
    The TP is the best all around phone I haxe owned and I am staying with it....the Pre doesn't quite seem up to all the hype.....I think there will be a fair amount of "fixing" the Pre due to rushing it to market''
    Quote Originally Posted by drfrog View Post
    The TP is the best all around phone I haxe owned and I am staying with it....the Pre doesn't quite seem up to all the hype.....I think there will be a fair amount of "fixing" the Pre due to rushing it to market''
    The build quality of the Treo Pro is top notch as well. I've had the 650, 700wx, 800w and all of them were crap compared to the Pro. I guess I should be thanking HTC for this, but none the less - it's a solid phone. No creaks, unwanted flexing, or anything like that.
    It all depends on what you will be using the device and/or where you will be using the device.

Unlocked gsm is best if you travel a lot [especially overseas] here is where the quadband gsm/triband umts comes in very very very handy. swapping a local sim will drive your communications costs down.

WM6.1 is an old OS but it is still very capable.

The qwertybar form factor means less moving parts therefore less potential breaking points vs sliders or clamshells.

Media playback is also great with the myriad of players available for the OS and 3.5mm jack.

Media capture is a different story all together. the 2MP fixed focus camera on the GTP [GSM TreoPro] is crap in low light conditions.

HTH
    Bny Castro

MTFBWY...
    my blog | twitter
    6.5 is nice, I have it on my Touch Pro that is sitting in the drawer. I think it would do real well on the TP. Now only if we can get a VGA screen. Always wondered why Palm didn't let HTC do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by caseyatbt View Post
    6.5 is nice, I have it on my Touch Pro that is sitting in the drawer. I think it would do real well on the TP. Now only if we can get a VGA screen. Always wondered why Palm didn't let HTC do it.
    I have wondered about this as well....maybe vga would result in an unenhanced font size that is too small (?) or more likely manufacturing costs could be too great....or maybe demands of vga architecture on processor or power resources......would heat output be a factor...I don't know
    I would really like to see a Pre-like form factor running WM...
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    If Palm functions like HTC, there is a bit of a chance we will see a 6.5WinMo update directly from them sometime down the road. If Palm decides to drop everything and focus on webOS only, then yes we are out of luck and left at the mercy of the xda developers.... which now that I think of it may not be a bad thing at all.

I am using the Pro on AT&T (paid full price for it btw) and it works great. There's little I had to do to get it to run other than plug in the sim card and set up dial-up for 3G, which I had screwed up after a rebuild from a ROM backup I had.

Anyhow, 6.1 is fairly usable, and if you ad SPB mobile shell and knoma Play (full version) I believe it will give 6.5 a run for its money.
    Ode to the Treo Pro: you had to look so good, you had to be HTC in disguise...
  13.    #13  
    OK...just bit the dust and ordered a Treo Pro...should be here tomorrow or Friday!
    Mike
    OK...just bit the dust and ordered a Treo Pro...should be here tomorrow or Friday!
    You won't regret it!
    Palm Vx -> Treo 700p (Death by MR Update to 1.10) -> Treo 755p (Blue) -> Treo Pro with Sapphire Blue Innocase
    Don't buy the Palm Pro Treo Pro. There are no plans to upgrade the OS beyond ver 6.1. Had I known this, I would not have bought it. Now I'm stuck in a 2 year contract. If this situation isn't rectified, I won't be buying any future Palm products.
  16. jbb
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by davparker View Post
    Don't buy the Palm Pro Treo Pro. There are no plans to upgrade the OS beyond ver 6.1. Had I known this, I would not have bought it. Now I'm stuck in a 2 year contract. If this situation isn't rectified, I won't be buying any future Palm products.
    I assume people change their cell phone every 2 years in avaerage. Is it still so important to be able to upgrade the OS of your phone? Consider that Dell has everyday on sale at $179.99(though I am not sure if it lasts long), unlocked Palm Treo Pro is still a good choice.
    im cdma and have mtbee's 6.5 on mine and ill never go back everything works great!! hasvent had a chance to see what the gsm roms are like
    Quote Originally Posted by jbb View Post
    I assume people change their cell phone every 2 years in avaerage. Is it still so important to be able to upgrade the OS of your phone? Consider that Dell has everyday on sale at $179.99(though I am not sure if it lasts long), unlocked Palm Treo Pro is still a good choice.
    I bought the unlocked version from Dell and I'm happy with it. If I want a larger screen, I have my At&t Fuze which is really thick compared to the Treo Pro. If I want better battery life, I have the Nokia E71x that I got as a $20 refurb when I renewed my contract. The Treo Pro is the middle ground. Great size and form factor.

If you're GSM, on XDA-Developers, you can install HardSPL to flash ROMs and flash to NightRaven's WM6.5 ROM. So far its been running good for me (about 2 days). I'm not sure if its as good as the stock ROM was since Palm usually tweaks their ROMs really well, but I like being able to scroll the start menu and use Titanium for my Today screen.

Back in the day I had the 700wx with Sprint, and now I'm finding myself getting apps that still don't support the square screen unfortunately. This was the one huge benefit of the Fuze, VGA screens are common and most apps support it.