Global Posts
    206 Global Posts
    When I had my Centro and the phone was connected to the Data sometimes the phone would go straight to VM. On the Palm OS there was an APP to disconnect from the data connection after a set time and then this would prevent the calls from going to VM...problem solved

Now...

Does a Program Exist for WM that I can use for this problem..

Thanks In Advance
    Police Officer: Sir, your eyes are red, are you drunk?

Drunk Driver: Officer, have you been eating donuts, your eyes are glazed?
    Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    I have written a small program that just disconnects the data connection, without turning off the radio or anything. I made a shortcut that I can access from my home screen launcher and use it sometimes to manually force the EVDO to disconnect. Its much faster than going into the HTC comm manager, which will also do this for you.

Do you want it?
    Global Posts
    206 Global Posts
    I would definatly like to give it a try..can you email it to me at my sn here on TC @aim.com

Thanks
    Brian
    Police Officer: Sir, your eyes are red, are you drunk?

Drunk Driver: Officer, have you been eating donuts, your eyes are glazed?
    Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    Let me cab it up and I will post it here tomorrow (Sunday).
    Quote Originally Posted by insol View Post
    Let me cab it up and I will post it here tomorrow (Sunday).
    Insol, by any chance have you included functionality for detecting idle connections? I know this can be done with a registry tweak, but I've avoided the use of that tweak because it causes other issues.
    Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbop View Post
    Insol, by any chance have you included functionality for detecting idle connections? I know this can be done with a registry tweak, but I've avoided the use of that tweak because it causes other issues.
    The program I'm about to post just starts a network connection or disconnects the data connection. I have not tried anything related to the idle state... although it is an interesting question/problem. It should not be too hard to do as I have done some stuff with the RIL and recall seeing something there, regarding idle data connection...

lineGetCurrentSystemType(hLine, out dwCurrentSystemType)
    will give what you need for GSM... but I'm not sure for CDMA/EVDO. I'd have to look and see.
    Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    Ok here it is. I use this program to manually disconnect my data connection or start a network connection then run another program (I use it for GSplayer as I invariably want to stream and GSplayer does not open a data connection). It does not display anything it just does what it does (see below).

Couple of things... The cab creates a folder in \program files\Utilities that has three files in it: a small dll, netstart.exe, and a Stop EVDO shortcut. It also puts a Stop EVDO shortcut in your start-menu-programs folder. All this shortcut does is disconnect EVDO -- that's it. The shortcut uses the Netstart.exe program with a parameter of off.

Netstart.exe does three things:
    1. Disconnects the data connection (if given the off parameter)
    2. Starts a network connection (if run with no parameters)
    3. Starts a network connection and runs another program (if given the path to an EXE -- it doesn't handle shortcuts)

If you want to use option 2 or 3 you may need to make your own shortcuts. You can follow my instructions here http://discussion.treocentral.com/treo-pro/177757-gps-sprint-treo-pro-2.html#post1577480, obviously substituting Netstart.exe for the main part of the shortcut.

Netstart.cab
    Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    One more thing... what do you want to do with the idle connection?
    One more thing... what do you want to do with the idle connection?
    Disconnect it after N seconds of inactivity.

In theory, an idle connection that has been put into a power managed state uses almost no juice and doesn't interfere with anything, but in practice I have my doubts. Especially in areas where signal fluctuates between 1x and EVDO frequently.
    Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    Disconnect it after N seconds of inactivity.

In theory, an idle connection that has been put into a power managed state uses almost no juice and doesn't interfere with anything, but in practice I have my doubts. Especially in areas where signal fluctuates between 1x and EVDO frequently.
    So you want something that polls or triggers off the data state change... hmmmm... I'll take a look this week. It may not be hard to make (of course I dont know how many times I thought THAT... and it was).
    It may not be hard to make (of course I dont know how many times I thought THAT... and it was).
    LOL, yeah I've said that many times, only to regret it later...

Thanks for looking into it!
    Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    Despite the loss of time chasing the Palm SMS app MMS issue... I did take a look. The connection manager from the cellcore dll will give the connection status. It seems to have a enum that tells if the connection is suspended (I assume this means idle/gray). I don't know how this would play for CDMA... much of the docs refer to GSM (simul voice/data), but it ought to work. There also appears to be a event register for connection status changes (this means no need to poll and that == good thing).

SO it seems this can be done and should not be horribly difficult but I need to take some time to do it -- most of which is testing. I will see what I can do and update this thread when I get it done.