1.    #1  
    I did a quick search, and couldn't find anything of this exact nature, so bare with me if it's been mentioned before. :-(

I bought an unlocked Treo Pro about a month or two ago to swap out an aging Sony Ericsson z520a, and it was the best switch I've ever made. Phone has been working great for me, and since I love to tinker with electronics, this phone is basically heaven for me, lol.

Only "complaint" I have, is that it doesn't seem to connect to "3G", it always shows "H" (HSDPA UMTS connection), but my mom's Treo 700 shows "3G", and she's running Windows Mobile 6.1 Standard. Even my dad's sony ericsson is running in 3G mode, as well as a friend of mines.

Are 3G and HSDPA the same as far as connection speeds go, or is my phone not connecting properly to a "3G" tower?

Thanks in advance! :-)
    Who is your Carrier?
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

Quote Originally Posted by Krazy-Killa View Post
    Only "complaint" I have, is that it doesn't seem to connect to "3G", it always shows "H" (HSDPA UMTS connection), but my mom's Treo 700 shows "3G", and she's running Windows Mobile 6.1 Standard. Even my dad's sony ericsson is running in 3G mode, as well as a friend of mines.

Are 3G and HSDPA the same as far as connection speeds go, or is my phone not connecting properly to a "3G" tower?
    The WCDMA/UMTS standard is what most phones show as 3G. HSDPA is actually an upgrade to that standard. If you run DSL Reports mobile test on all the phones you've mentioned, I think the results will make you very happy with your Treo Pro's data speeds. I'm assuming your unlocked TP is on a carrier that supports the frequencies it uses, not T-Mobile's 1700 data frequency.
    Last edited by kraski; 05/21/2009 at 11:16 PM.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by kraski View Post
    The WCDMA/UMTS standard is what most phones show as 3G. HSDPA is actually an upgrade to that standard. If you run DSL Reports mobile test on all the phones you've mentioned, I think the results will make you very happy with your Treo Pro's data speeds. I'm assuming your unlocked TP is on a carrier that supports the frequencies it uses, not T-Mobile's 1700 data frequency.
    Yah, I'm currently on AT&T, and I've gone back and forth between GSM and UMTS bands, and it does both very well. But my plan does not include unlimited data, so I try to avoid using it as much as possible unless I'm using it to send MMS messages. So, having my phone in "H" mode instead of "3G" is an upgrade? I did not know that, and glad I do now.

I have noticed that when I download a 300KB MMS message (which I had to hack my phone to allow files larger than 300KB), it downloads it at an insane speed compared to my old Sony Ericsson, so I'm very pleased with that. :-)

The other reason I'm asking is that when I first got the phone, it was running in EDGE mode for about 30 days, then the H mode started appearing afterwards.

About the DSL Reports Mobile test, do you all know how much data it sends to complete the test? If it does a low amount I'll give it a try during the next month's billing period so I have a fresh start on my data limit.