Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    Hey guys! new here and just got a new Palm Treo Pro!

Love the phone so far! I didn't get the data plan since i don't really use the internet much at all. having wifi is good enough for me.

the problem:
    Sometimes when i try to connect to the internet using wifi, every once in a while it tries connecting to the Sprint data network instead. i don't want this since it will charge me. ive been looking through all the setting and cant figure out how to disable the phone from connecting to the Sprint data network. I tried deleting the "Phone as Modem #777" in the connection settings, but it keeps coming back

Not sure what i should do in my situation. i already see that there a few dollars built up on my bill because of the phone connecting to the Sprint network.

There's no Data guard or anything on these phones?

I also did a little search to see if i could find anything usefull and didn't see much. if i missed something, just link me

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by azboomer View Post
    Hey guys! new here and just got a new Palm Treo Pro!

Love the phone so far! I didn't get the data plan since i don't really use the internet much at all. having wifi is good enough for me.

the problem:
    Sometimes when i try to connect to the internet using wifi, every once in a while it tries connecting to the Sprint data network instead. i don't want this since it will charge me. ive been looking through all the setting and cant figure out how to disable the phone from connecting to the Sprint data network. I tried deleting the "Phone as Modem #777" in the connection settings, but it keeps coming back

Not sure what i should do in my situation. i already see that there a few dollars built up on my bill because of the phone connecting to the Sprint network.

There's no Data guard or anything on these phones?

I also did a little search to see if i could find anything usefull and didn't see much. if i missed something, just link me

Thanks
    Find the program NoData. Google it. You can toggle your Sprint network connection on or off. Off will mean it wont work at all allowing you to just use the built in Wifi when you want to.
    You can call Sprint and have them block #777 connections from your phone. I've done this on other phones on my plan (wife's phone) to keep them from accidentally using data. Just tell them you see some data charges on your plan, and you need data connections blocked.
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    Awesome! i looked at the nodata cab, looks nice. I may try calling sprint and blocking it first. Will blocking the #777 connection mess up incoming picture mail though?
    Hit the Sprint site and go to something like usage details for that phone number, then maybe my on-line tools, then settings and passwords, then look at the bottom right for "wireless web access" and look there. Happy hunting!
    Will blocking the #777 connection mess up incoming picture mail though?
    I'm not one hundred percent sure on that. When I called them up, I just told them I needed phone number xxx to not be allowed access to the Internet. At the same time, I also told them that phone should not be allowed text messaging. So, the phone pretty much only makes calls and that's it. I'll bet if you tell them exactly what you want and what you don't want, they'll accommodate you.

Note: all the blocking of my wife's phone was her idea. I'm not some kind of phone Nazi stopping my family from using their phones. Just to be clear.
    So, if you shut off data (either by calling Sprint or using NoData), you also shut off texting?
    Is there a way to get voice and text without getting data?

I guess I am a little unclear as to what is defined as 'data.' Is that picture mail, internet, tv, and music? Texting SMS or MMS is not data?

Thanks.
    1st post; usually just a reader.
    Awesome! i looked at the nodata cab, looks nice. I may try calling sprint and blocking it first. Will blocking the #777 connection mess up incoming picture mail though?
    YES!!

Seriously, pay the $10 extra, or whatever it is now days for data. It's worth it, especially with push e-mail and Skyfire.

If you're not going to use data, go with the Sprint Lotus.